Oil recommended for Old Snowthrower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ckerch

Based off all the good feedback, I will probably just stick with the conventional oil. After all it has been doing just fine for the last 55 years and the fact the snow thrower may only get use a hand full of times during a season. The only other question is the ethanol content in gas now. Does synthetic protect the cylinder walls/rings better than conventional ?

Thanks for all the feedback
Carl

Ethanol gasoline is not a problem for the cylinder walls or piston rings. It's a problem for the small power equipment carburetors if left in them without usage. I got tired of replacing carburetors from ethanol laced fuel, only what we have in NJ, clogging them up. So I run my 4 cycle equipment every 1 to 2 months to keep the fuel flowing to keep the carb passages unclogged. for my occasionally used 2 cycle equipment I've started using canned ethanol free gas.

Whimsey

If you're concerned over low zinc content, you could consider using Royal Purple HPS/XPR, or any other racing oil. The RP XPR has a 0w8 weight. If you want to spend less money, any FSHM from the majors will do fine. Super-S brand has a synthetic oil, 5w30, specifically for snowblowers. Sears has it for about $7/qt. You could also use a 0/5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back