Oil Recommendation

Consider the source. This guy posts stuff pulled out of all sorts of locations.
So you have never seen or used Maxima 0w60 before? 0w60's are all over.
Maybe that engineer dude _CBT_ENGR can shed some light on it? He's already all over @ollie for making some basic statements. No wonder the hostility thread keeps going. Also no need to be a "oil engineer" to know how xW60's are made. Start with a zero then add in loads of VII's until the cST is at sae60 at temp. Done all the time. But you know, shearing of the VII's will quickly knock the 60 down to a 40 in about 500mi.

Reactions: wdn
What type of oil do you recommend for a 1963 Corvette 327cubic inch 300 hp engine?
I used CAMOil in my 65 Ford 390.It has zinc in it.Works great, its 15w40.Google their website

Attachments

• 20200922_121447.jpg
    20200922_121447.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200922_121453.jpg
    20200922_121453.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200922_121459.jpg
    20200922_121459.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 8
Maybe that engineer dude _CBT_ENGR can shed some light on it? He's already all over @ollie for making some basic statements. No wonder the hostility thread keeps going. Also no need to be a "oil engineer" to know how xW60's are made. Start with a zero then add in loads of VII's until the cST is at sae60 at temp. Done all the time. But you know, shearing of the VII's will quickly knock the 60 down to a 40 in about 500mi.
How ya doing today? Dropping in again for your usual?

You're starting off good with this one.

If you're where it's warm a 15W40 HDEO would probably be a good choice. If you wanna splurge on full synthetic I guess go for rotella T6 15w40.
Why a 15w? It was mentioned those old engines often times have old weak pumps, so why not allow them to get the oil moving faster by using a 0w or 5w-whatever ? Faster and more flow at "cold" time is preferred.

I don't think they are "all over", name some major 0w-60's. Maxima does not have a 0w-60 on their website, I only see a reference to it on Amazon and the picture of is an SAE60, not 0w-60.

You don't "start with a zero", you start with a base oil blend that's going to be appropriate for the viscosity requirements, typically requiring PPD's, to pass the CCS and MRV limits for the intended Winter designation, so in this case 0W, and then add the required amount of VII's to hit your hot target.

In the case of a 0w-60, given the amount of VII's required I'd expect you'd have to go for an even thinner base oil blend than with a 0w-40 or 0w-30 because the VII treat affects cold temperature performance to so counteract that you'd likely have to use lighter and more volatile bases.

I don't think they are "all over", name some major 0w-60's. Maxima does not have a 0w-60 on their website, I only see a reference to it on Amazon and the picture of is an SAE60, not 0w-60.

You don't "start with a zero", you start with a base oil blend that's going to be appropriate for the viscosity requirements, typically requiring PPD's, to pass the CCS and MRV limits for the intended Winter designation, so in this case 0W, and then add the required amount of VII's to hit your hot target.

In the case of a 0w-60, given the amount of VII's required I'd expect you'd have to go for an even thinner base oil blend than with a 0w-40 or 0w-30 because the VII treat affects cold temperature performance to so counteract that you'd likely have to use lighter and more volatile bases.
I did say zero, start with a zero. How it starts out can be many ways, such as you describe. I did not say start with a SAE zero.

I did say zero, start with a zero. How it starts out can be many ways, such as you describe. I did not say start with a SAE zero.

But you don't start with a zero, you start with a base oil blend appropriate for the intended target visc, that's both the winter rating and the hot rating. If you are doing a 0w-20, you can use a heavier base oil blend because the VII content can be extremely low. Some of Mobil's PAO bases could pass 0w-20 without any VII for example.

Also, what about the 0w-60 comments?

"Flow" is so overrated.

How much more "flow" is he gonna get?
There’s also the pressure question.

My old C10 had like 20psi at hot idle. My 91 Range Rover with the buick v8 could barely get 15. Not super concerning but back in the day everybody ran 20w50 syrup as a band aid for this kinda stuff.

Back