Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is an 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, 4 cyl eng. The owners manual says I have 3 weight choices in the Florida climate-- 5w20,5w30 or 10w30. I'm more interested in engine protection than a little fuel mileage. The owners manual says to use-- API Service SM and ILSAC GF-4 or above. The manual recommends Quaker St. but I was thinking of using Mobil-1 5w30. Does that sound like a good choice?

The specs are all that matters for warranty.

Look for some uoa's from that motor and go from there. If non are found, the. Do your own analysis and decide from there.

Yes - a fine choice.
When hot, a 5-30 and 10-30 are the same [very similar - note that even two 5-30s can differ slightly].
You get better cold flow with the 5-30. In Fla? You still have cold starts, when the oil is ten times as thick as when hot, so use the 5-30.
If you only did short trips and didn't get the engine hot, a 5-20 would be best. BTW, 5-20s are tough! If you want, you could use it all the time -they wouldn't spec it if it was bad.
With a 4 cyl engine, you may feel a bit more pep with the lighter oil.

I'd use 5w-30. Mobil 1 is a fine choice. So would be Pennzoil Platinum. Go with a synthetic.
thumbsup2.gif

Your haven't mention how you drive your Hyundai but assuming you're not towing anything heavy I'd go with M1 AFE 0W-20. It's a superior lube to the spec' 5W-20 and has a higher HTHSV for improved high temperature protection.

Since even manual recommend QS, then QS must be good "enough" at least, now it comes down to viscosity.
Florida? I guess 5w30 as most ppl believe higher = more protection. But seriously no need 10W30 though...

Why QS? cost...$20 5qt jug @ Wally world, can't beat that.

1 question for OP, does the manual actually list viscosity by state? or it give you a temperature range, you figure from that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back