oil Recommendation for a vortec extending OCI'S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, you've got it about right. Same pump.

The decision is yours, after all you'll be doing the work. Personally I think you'll be okay, but you certainly don't need that extra pump capacity.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

don't fall into all the hype of the Signature series 0w30 as an alternative to a more viscous oil because even the fine print states not for heavy use (towing etc).

The fine print I see says frequent towing is considered severe service. Can you post the link where it says "not for towing?"

I read this in Amsoil literature when the Series 2000 was first introduced. Last year, Amsoil was asking to have all their old and outdated literature removed from the web and only use the most recent promotional literature.

When I was using the 0w30 there was more bearing wear than when a heavier oil was used, and it was only driven on the highway in a small car. Multi-grade oils do shear back as identified on my latest UOA.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

don't fall into all the hype of the Signature series 0w30 as an alternative to a more viscous oil because even the fine print states not for heavy use (towing etc).

The fine print I see says frequent towing is considered severe service. Can you post the link where it says "not for towing?"

No kidding. Where do guys come up with this stuff.

OP. The oil cooler would be a great addition. It would help keep low oil temps which then means you can run a 20 grade without a second thought.
Lower oil temps translate to a more stable oil film(within reason),couple that with the added volume being pumped and you're sure to dissipate engine heat quickly.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
With a high volume pump and that kind of pressure you could probably get away with something thinner. If you want to take baby steps try M1 HM 5w20 which is toward the higher end of 20 weight hot.

Alternatively you could just go straight to a 5w20 synthetic like AFE and monitor pressure with it. I'm not sure how reliable your gauge is though. A mechanical gauge would be ideal.

5w-20 grade AFE?
Is that something new? I've never seen it before. Where does a guy find it?

M1 hm 5w-20 is toward the higher end of a 20 GRADE hot?
I'm confused. Isn't a 5w-20 a 20 grade?
And what's this upper end thing?
My head hurts.

OP. I think you'll be just fine with a 20 grade and oil cooler.
As far as towing is concerned I suggest a tranny cooler too just to protect this growing investment you've acquired.
Jmo

Yeah the 5W20 with hv oil pump and cooler sounds like a great idea. Being it's less resistant to flow so it would pump through the lubrication system quicker and dissipate heat better. And probably provide better splash lubrication. but considering gm spec's a 5w30 would 5w20 provide the required oil film for my bearing clearance??? With the extra volume it should right?

Clevy, that was a typo I meant 0w20 AFE not 5w20 afe as I posted earlier.

About the viscosity I was wrong though. Unless Mobil changed their data sheets again the Viscosity, @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) for M1 HM 5w20 and M1 0w20 AFE are nearly identical now at 8.6 cSt vs 8.7 cSt respectively.

I thought high mileage was near the upper edge of 20 weight range whereas the 20 weight viscosity specs are required to be virgin less than 9.3 cSt.

Someone experimenting with stepping down a grade might not want to go from 30 weight with a Viscosity, @ 100ºC being 12.4 cSt to a 20 weight with a viscosity at 5.7 cSt, which is technically possible based on SAE allowable ranges. That might be too far a jump in oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back