Oil recommendation for 1984 Trans Am 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
SMI makes a killer Q-Jet, including for the electronic Q-Jet era. If you ever upgrade or modify, or heck even just need a rebuild he is THE Q-Jet Guy!

Q-jets arte easy. In the day I could take them apart and put them back together with my eyes closed. Had a '77 Chevelle that I was constantly changing jets for more power and MPG...

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
Synthetic or conventional HM 10w30. No HDEO needed. And No "Starburst", "ILSAC" or "Resource Conserving" oils. Try looking for a HM oil that is ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 and HTHS 3.5 or greater.

Take it from an old-school flat tappet owner. High ZDDP is also not needed.

The easiest non ILSAC or RC oil to find in a 10w30 especially for a reasonable price is a 10w30 HDEO. Why pay more for the same thing?

I don't have any trouble finding the oil that works. Price? Well that's another story. My trucks have cats and I don't need high Phos or ZDDP. I don't want a 5w or a 40 grade. I don't drive much and change my oil every couple of years.

I just went to the Rotella site and the only multi-vehicle oil they list is T6 5w30. The only specs they list is SN E6. Nothing spectacular. Nothing about HTHS, V@40, V@100, VI, NOAK or TBN. Pretty slim on the specs listing. If you could point me to an A3 (or even A1) synthetic HDEO with an HTHS 3.0-3.9 with NOAK 9, I might be interested.

Nice car man, I've been thinking about getting one before they shoot up in value. Manual trans in that car will always hold it's value. I used to lurk the 3rd gen fbody forum when I was a kid.

305 has no performance potential, in 2018 that thing needs a gen III/t56 swap. Also, you should totally get some louvers!

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
I just went to the Rotella site and the only multi-vehicle oil they list is T6 5w30. The only specs they list is SN E6. Nothing spectacular. Nothing about HTHS, V@40, V@100, VI, NOAK or TBN. Pretty slim on the specs listing. If you could point me to an A3 (or even A1) synthetic HDEO with an HTHS 3.0-3.9 with NOAK 9, I might be interested.

That would be a suitable oil. E6 (and CK-4) means it has elevated HTHS at 3.5 or higher. Starting TBN is 11.0. Whether it's the most cost effective or convenient option can only be answered by you, though.

Thanks Garak.

I just came off WalMart's (US) site and no T6 multi-vehicle available. I think price would be a wash. I don't change oil often and I'm happy with what I've been using for years.

Here, so far, a distributor or NAPA are the only realistic choices, and the pricing isn't bad. HDEOs up here can be priced fairly attractively, at least if you stay out of Canadian Tire or Walmart.

Mobil EP 10W30 or Redline if you want to be fancy. A blast from the past. I hope someday that Pontiac and TA return. 1977 incarnation.

What does OM state?

The Euro rated (ACEA) HDEOs with E4, E6, E7, E9 all have a HTHS of 3.5 cP or more, and all have a Noack volatility of 13% or less. As required by the ACEA standards, which are very good.

The min TBN required is 12, 7, 9, 7 for E4, E6, E7 and E9 respectively. The E6 has a max Phos limit 0.08 % (ILSAC Levels) so to me E7 is the old school: high-SAPS, high-TBN, high-ZDDP oil to chase for old school engines.

Here is the link to the recent ACEA sequences
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

Another vote for Rotella 10W30 here.

Also, please post a pic of the car !!!

These are the Rotella T4 specs from their web page:

15W40
CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4; ACEA E9; JASO DH-2, MA, MA2; Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086, 81; Detroit Fluids Specification (DFS) 93K222, 93K218; Deutz DQC III-10 LA; MACK EO-S 4.5, EO-O Premium Plus; MAN M3575; MB-Approval 228.31; MTU Category 2.1; Allison TES-439; Volvo VDS-4.5, VDS-4

10W-30
CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4; Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086, 81; Detroit Fluids Specification (DFS) 93K222, 93K218; Mack EO-S 4.5, EO-O Premium Plus; Volvo VDS-4.5, VDS-4; JASO DH-2; Ford WSS-M2C171-F1;

Either will do me and I would use either in a Diesel or Gas (Petrol) engine. Only the 15W40 has an ACEA spec (E9) which is fine, TBN above 7, SAPS below 1, Phos below 0.12%, HTHS above 3.5 cP and Noack below 13%. It's also JASO MA MA2 rated for motorcycles which means it's gas engine suitable.

Just wait until you see the Knight Industries 18 wheeler and pull into the trailor when the door opens and the ramp is extended. The lady inside will make sure to use the best oil available. Then back out and do a J-turn as you exit the ramp.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The Euro rated (ACEA) HDEOs with E4, E6, E7, E9 all have a HTHS of 3.5 cP or more, and all have a Noack volatility of 13% or less. As required by the ACEA standards, which are very good.

The min TBN required is 12, 7, 9, 7 for E4, E6, E7 and E9 respectively. The E6 has a max Phos limit 0.08 % (ILSAC Levels) so to me E7 is the old school: high-SAPS, high-TBN, high-ZDDP oil to chase for old school engines.

Here is the link to the recent ACEA sequences
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

Another vote for Rotella 10W30 here.

Also, please post a pic of the car !!!

Yup, i look for API SL and ACEA E7 on HDEO's, like the Shell Rimula R4X i am using now, it has all the goodies god intended a HDEO should have.

Yes we get the same Shell Rimula R4X 15W40 here in Oz.

Back when I worked in the outback mines, we used Rimula-X in everything. Legend had it, the camp cook, Oilcan-Harry, even tried cooking with it.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Yes we get the same Shell Rimula R4X 15W40 here in Oz.

Back when I worked in the outback mines, we used Rimula-X in everything. Legend had it, the camp cook, Oilcan-Harry, even tried cooking with it.

Hmmm, Fried chicken a la Rimula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back