Oil recommendation for 1984 Trans Am 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I’m looking for an oil recommendation for a 1984 Pontiac Trans Am with a 5L engine and 84,000 miles on it that I just purchased. I believe 5w30 or 10w30 conventional is what was in them from the factory. I live in PA and it won’t get driven in the winter so the really cold weather won’t be a problem. I was thinking maybe 10w40 conventional Castrol but was wondering if there was something better or if I should go to a high mileage oil. I don’t think I want to do synthetic because I’m worried about oil usage. Thank you!

What does the owners manual recommend for your temperature conditions .

What kind of oil pressure are seeing ? Cold start ? At operating temperature ?

Can you look up & determine if it has roller lifters or flat lifters ? Looking on AutoZone.com , looks like flat lifter ? You may need oil with elevated zinc levels ?

Synthetic should be fine, and it’s what I would use if I had a vehicle that sat around quite a bit. M1 was my flavor of choice when I had my IROC-z/28 Camaro with the 5.0.

Really all that 5.0 needs is for you to put on some some stone washed jeans, grow a mullet, and crank up the Whitesnake.

If it has an oil consumption problem, it'll do it whether you use synth or dino.

I'd probably go with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W-30 and see how it likes it. Easy to get and cheap, at Walmart. Start with 6000-mile intervals and watch for any consumption. IF you get consumption, try something else.

Should clean out the engine nicely, too.

DON'T use 10W40. 5W30 is all that engine needs. That engine has flat tappets, but the valve springs are light and the cam is hardened better then the
earlier 305's were. Castrol, Valvoline... high mileage 5W30's would work well for that engine. If that was my car, I'd hop-up that V8 or build a 350
up. Does it have a stick or the TH700R4 auto? GM was sucky at pushing automatics to dealers in pony cars unlike Ford. Most 305 F bodies have the dismal
TH700R4. If it has a stick, tell me what you want for it!

Originally Posted By: ksj4477
Hello, I’m looking for an oil recommendation for a 1984 Pontiac Trans Am with a 5L engine and 84,000 miles on it that I just purchased. I believe 5w30 or 10w30 conventional is what was in them from the factory. I live in PA and it won’t get driven in the winter so the really cold weather won’t be a problem. I was thinking maybe 10w40 conventional Castrol but was wondering if there was something better or if I should go to a high mileage oil. I don’t think I want to do synthetic because I’m worried about oil usage. Thank you!

Provided that it has good oil pressure I see no reason to run anything other than a HDEO 10W30. Rotella T4 10w30 is readliy available almost anywhere for a bargain price, has a great add pack for flat tappet or roller cams. If you wanted to step up to a 40, it's also available in 15W40. HDEO is my go to for just about any SBC/BBC street engine with reasonable spring pressure.

1984 - does it have the 4 BBL LG4/5 sp or the 4 bbl HO/auto combo? Didn't they have crossfire injection in those as an option as well?

Whatever engine is in there, and good 10W30 like Rotella will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

Can you look up & determine if it has roller lifters or flat lifters ? Looking on AutoZone.com , looks like flat lifter ? You may need oil with elevated zinc levels ?

No owners manual that I have found yet. It idles at 30 psi but doesn't increase when i give it a little throttle so I'm wondering if the gauge or sender is messed up. It won't be run in any conditions under 45 degrees. It can get up around 100 in the summer time here. Flat tappet lifters, I believe the engine is completely stock.

Originally Posted By: T4RF
Synthetic should be fine, and it’s what I would use if I had a vehicle that sat around quite a bit. M1 was my flavor of choice when I had my IROC-z/28 Camaro with the 5.0.

Really all that 5.0 needs is for you to put on some some stone washed jeans, grow a mullet, and crank up the Whitesnake.

Hahaha! I think my wife would have problems with the mullet but I would be king of the trailer park!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
If it has an oil consumption problem, it'll do it whether you use synth or dino.

I'd probably go with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W-30 and see how it likes it. Easy to get and cheap, at Walmart. Start with 6000-mile intervals and watch for any consumption. IF you get consumption, try something else.

I'm unsure on oil consumption yet, it doesn't smoke much. Engine is quite dirty so It has to be coming from somewhere, probably intake seal. It hasn't left any drops on the garage floor though so it's nothing major but I don't want it to get worse.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Provided that it has good oil pressure I see no reason to run anything other than a HDEO 10W30. Rotella T4 10w30 is readliy available almost anywhere for a bargain price, has a great add pack for flat tappet or roller cams. If you wanted to step up to a 40, it's also available in 15W40. HDEO is my go to for just about any SBC/BBC street engine with reasonable spring pressure.

This is what I'd do too. That engine does not have exotic requirements, valve springs are quite light and power output pretty low.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
DON'T use 10W40. 5W30 is all that engine needs. That engine has flat tappets, but the valve springs are light and the cam is hardened better then the
earlier 305's were. Castrol, Valvoline... high mileage 5W30's would work well for that engine. If that was my car, I'd hop-up that V8 or build a 350
up. Does it have a stick or the TH700R4 auto? GM was sucky at pushing automatics to dealers in pony cars unlike Ford. Most 305 F bodies have the dismal
TH700R4. If it has a stick, tell me what you want for it!

I completely forgot about the flat tappet lifters and I shouldn't have but it's been awhile since i've worked on a sbc. I'd love to put a Lt1 or LS in it someday but for now my budget says tune it up and make it road worthy. The two main selling points for the car was a 5 speed manual (T5) and no t-tops! lol I wish it had the HO 305 but it's the LG4, it does have the air intake hood though which is neat... for what I paid for it I have no room to complain though. There's no way I'm selling it!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

I'm hearing Rotella a lot, I've never tried it but that's why I come on here.

Synthetic or conventional HM 10w30. No HDEO needed. And No "Starburst", "ILSAC" or "Resource Conserving" oils. Try looking for a HM oil that is ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 and HTHS 3.5 or greater.

Take it from an old-school flat tappet owner. High ZDDP is also not needed.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Another vote for Rotella 10W-30.
Valvoline Vr1 10W-30 would be good too.

I ran Valvoline in my cars for years but Rotella is intriguing. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
1984 - does it have the 4 BBL LG4/5 sp or the 4 bbl HO/auto combo? Didn't they have crossfire injection in those as an option as well?

Whatever engine is in there, and good 10W30 like Rotella will be fine.

Yes, it's the 4 BBL LG4/5 sp, it's a vin H and the vin on the engine matches. I think they may have had a crossfire option but I believe it was rare. Thanks, I'm thinking Rotella 10w30 will be the choice.

No owners manual that I have found yet. It idles at 30 psi but doesn't increase when i give it a little throttle so I'm wondering if the gauge or sender is messed up. It won't be run in any conditions under 45 degrees. It can get up around 100 in the summer time here. Flat tappet lifters, I believe the engine is completely stock.

Might consider installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge ?

We have a 1991 Caprice with a 5.0l , completely stock . Looked it up & it does have roller lifters . So any modern dino oil of name brand should be fine for it ( rarely gets driven ) . With the overdrive automatic , it got good MPG back when Dad was still alive & it got driven . Geared pretty high . I suspect yours may have a lower ratio differential ?

I think the 5.0l is / was a pretty good engine , just not high horse power .

Best of luck too you , :)

I think the 5.0l is / was a pretty good engine , just not high horse power .

Yeah, the 305 has the same stroke as the 350 but smaller bores. This seriously limited its power output potential due to valve shrouding and head selection. It was somewhat of an opposite approach to what Ford did with the 302, which had a short stroke and large bore.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I'm unsure on oil consumption yet, it doesn't smoke much. Engine is quite dirty so It has to be coming from somewhere, probably intake seal. It hasn't left any drops on the garage floor though so it's nothing major but I don't want it to get worse.

Dirty on the inside or the outside .

If the valve seals are leaking , they can ( with the correct tooling ) be changed out w/o pulling the head .

Does it have a carburetor or TBFI ? We once had a 5.0l , early 80's Impala that had a carburetor with limited electronic control .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back