Oil leaks and/or engine damage by high speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Yes.

Posters above are talking about what should/shouldn't happen. That isn't the same as what can or does happen.

Bad things can and do happen, and the stress of high speed running/high acceleration is likely to expose any weakness that exists.

Your car is patched together with chop sticks... I can see why you think the way you do.

I think the way I do because I try to think about the meaning of the question that is asked, possibly partly due to repeatedly telling students (who dont) to "read the bloody question".

The operative word in the question, which most posters have ignored, is "can"

Of course it can. Any other answer defies reality.

But if your thought process stops at "My BMW is AWSUM, Doode", then I guess defying reality dont make you no never mind. (Yay, I got to use my Tommy Lee Jones quote again)

Can _______ happen during _______?

Anything can happen...

Yes.

Posters above are talking about what should/shouldn't happen. That isn't the same as what can or does happen.

Bad things can and do happen, and the stress of high speed running/high acceleration is likely to expose any weakness that exists.

Your car is patched together with chop sticks... I can see why you think the way you do.

I think the way I do because I try to think about the meaning of the question that is asked, possibly partly due to repeatedly telling students (who dont) to "read the bloody question".

But if your thought process stops at "My BMW is AWSUM, Doode", then I guess defying reality dont make you no never mind. (Yay, I got to use my Tommy Lee Jones quote again)

Can _______ happen during _______?

Anything can happen...

Untrue. That's the flip side of reality. Many things can't happen.

Congratulations. You've covered this "talking utter bollocks" thing with thoroughness and economy.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Engines don't want to be worked above about %20 throttle for any length of time.

What makes you say this?

I’ve taken nine police cruisers to north of 100,000 miles with frequent trips north of 100 for 50 miles plus day in, day out. Never had a single engine issue with 5W40 Delvac 1 with a 24,000 miles OCI. Took one impala to 154,000 before auction. You will have tranny issues long before motor or oil issues.

Do you ever see an old guy in 100m or 500m dash?
grin.gif

Man, I think you are over-reacting. Grammar is not the strongest discipline for an AA. Modal verbs, subjunctive mood, and don't even try Past Participle II or Future Perfect Continuous.

He was just pulling your leg.

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Man, I think you are over-reacting. Grammar is not the strongest discipline for an AA. Modal verbs, subjunctive mood, and don't even try Past Participle II or Future Perfect Continuous.

He was just pulling your leg.

Just cos I have to teach English, doesn't mean I give a rat's stool sample about grammar technicalities.

But WURDZ AVE MEENING.

Anyway, if he was just pulling my leg, I was just kicking back a bit.

From my 1987 BMW R65 Rider's Handbook....

Max. power output @ 7250 rpm.

Max. permissible engine speed - 7650 rpm.

Max. continuous engine speed - 7300 rpm.

The bike is designed to be ridden hard, all day. I can't do that here, and keep my license, but max permissible engine speed is often exceeded in lower gears. Not a high reving engine, but it does like to run in the top end of the rev range.

If the engine is relatively low miles (
I would suggest not bouncing off the rev limiter too often. Best power delivery is usually between 70-90% of max RPM... but... I know people who rag their engines all the time and they always run good because they keep up on maintenance.

Last edited:
It doesn't take much power to maintain 80 MPH (for a car with reasonable frontal area). Getting there quickly does.

absolutely.
ALL oil synthetic or not gets THINNER the hotter it gets.
At high speeds and in hot temps, theses 0w oils are simply too thin so some engines begin to leak and burn oil.
That's why racing oil exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back