Oil for snowblower, 5w30... better or best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Gotcha,
Now this is an older motor and it only lists 5w-30 as an oil. No chart etc... Would 0w-30 still suffice?

Would the 5w40 Rotella be out of the question?

Seems as if I cant find the GC 0w30 locally so far... Is there an alternative worth using?

Even if you keep the blower in an unheated garage, temps aren't going to be as bad as outside. Any 5w30, 10w30, 5w40 syn will do. I run Edge 0w30 in mine simply because I bought it during Autozone's sale for $2/qt. If I didn't have the 0w30 I was gonna throw some T6 5w40 in there. I ran 10w30 and even strait 30 in previous blowers and had no issues. Back then I didn't even have electric start on that old Ariens.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Thanks guys. Wouldn't running an 0w-30 cause more start up wear? I keep reading to use GC 0w-30. To me a thinner oil would help with cold start up, yes, but also less film at start up too, right?

I ways have 5w40 left over from my truck, but I don't know if moving up on the heavy side is okay... It's an older motor so I'm sure she's a bit loose.

Less film at start up? Not at all, in fact one of the benefits of
a 0 wt oil is the faster flow in colder temps.

Originally Posted By: tig1

And how important is this in splash lubed OPE?

Well I threw some 5w40 in it for now. It's all I have and I'm off to work soon. I'll change it out at the end of the season. Then I'll go with 0w30

Last edited:
I use supertech synthetic 5w30 in my 14 yr old Simplicity. It makes it considerably easier to pull start the 9hp engine. For the few times they really are used/year I don't think it matters.

Husqvarna is recommending 5w30 API Service SG-SL oils for their current production model snow blowers with LCT engines. It may be that they favor the higher levels of zinc in these oils. Mobil1 5w30 High Mileage is API service level SL with 1100 PPM zinc. I've been switching most of my OPE over to this oil lately.

Good luck with the snow down your way. You may be changing that oil sooner than you had originally envisioned.

Well what I did was ran thru several cycles until it ran clear.
If we get a break tomorrow, I'll swap it again. The 5w40 started up good so far every time tonight. I think 5w40 may be the oil for me... As I said, I always have extra.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Easier to pull the engine through in cold temps.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Good question. I use the electric starter on mine so pulling the cord is a moot point. If I shut it down to refuel or for some other reason then I use the cord to start it, but at that point the engine is already warm.

I used 0W30 because I had a lot of it. I might be switching it to 5W30 since my 0W30 stash will be gone by the time I change the oil in the snowblower.

Nothing like a "What oil for a snowblower?" question to bring BITOGians out of hibernation.
wink.gif

Most OPE like a XW30 weight oil of some type. The first number, replacing the X can be 0, 5, 10 or even straight 30. It all depends on how warm the machine is when you start it. Does it sit outside in a dead-cold shed? Stick with 0W30 or 5W30 synthetic. In a garage with some heat? 10W30 (mineral or synthetic) would be fine. Heated to 60F+? You could even get by with straight 30.

You can go to a XW40 weight if you get smoke and/or consumption with a 30 weight ... even 15W40 if the machine is in a well-heated garage at start-up. But, expect the engine to work a little harder with the thicker oil and the thicker oil may not splash as well inside the motor. A thicker oil does NOT necessarily protect better.

I like healthy additive packages for OPE engines ... so HDEO or high-mileage preferred. I also run a little Lubromoly MOS2 in these engines for extra protection.

My oil of choice? Yeti Blood:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/Oil Analysis/Chevron_Delo_0W-30_large.jpg

I use Mobil 1 5w50 in my 8hp and in my dads new snow blower. The new snow blowers have no throttle. They just go to wide open throttle which seems crazy when it's -20c out.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I use Mobil 1 5w50 in my 8hp and in my dads new snow blower. The new snow blowers have no throttle. They just go to wide open throttle which seems crazy when it's -20c out.

Wow..surely they can be modified to rig a throttle of some type?

I have used Mobil-1 5w-30 HM, Valvoline Full syn HM 5w-30, and PUP 5w-30 in my MTD snow blower with good results.

They start easy in the cold, and I have no doubts about engine protection.

They do tend to turn dark quickly, but that's probably from inefficient combustion fuel getting into the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back