Oil for snowblower, 5w30... better or best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is no best oil, but I need something for a smaller 5.5 air cooled engine in 5w30. Is there one that'll excel in an air cooled versus liquid cooled engine?

Any 30-weight will get the job done.

Personally, I run a 0W-30 synthetic in my large Toro 4-cyle Snow Blower to help aid with starting.

I change my oil every year around Thanksgiving time. Crankcase only takes 8/10 of a quart and there is no air filter anymore in most snow blowers.

Gas tank gets Sta-bil Fuel Stabilizer year around to prevent any problems.

Wish you well with the massive snow storm heading your way.

In my old 1966 allis charmers i use strait 30 Pennzoil and have used that since my parents got it new in 1966 it still runs good. In my new one also with the B&S engine i use 5w30 QSUD also runs good

I've been using AFE 0W30 in mine. I change it after I fog the engine at the end of the season. It looks like it will be getting a workout starting tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
I know there is no best oil, but I need something for a smaller 5.5 air cooled engine in 5w30. Is there one that'll excel in an air cooled versus liquid cooled engine?

Since you say excel I will mention Amsoil 4-Stroke Small Engine oil. Its made for OPE engines. I order a few QTs when I order ATF and SVG every year or two from Amsoil.

Any synthetic is great. I often wind up with single quarts left over from six packs that I don't want to mix. In fact my stash of "snowblower oil" is decades deep. I crack into it for a beater car now and again, but hate "wasting synthetic" in that way.

Your blower will probably kill it with fuel dilution, so I wouldn't spend a ton of money.

Probably any name brand 5w30, 0w30 or 10w30 will work great. Just keep the oil at the full mark. Since this is used to blow snow, I doubt it gets a lot of use and probably will last a long time If you keep good oil in it and change it every few years.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I use glucosamine and chondroitin to lubricate my snowthrower.

Do you use one of the brands with MSM? It is the newest version......

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I use glucosamine and chondroitin to lubricate my snowthrower.

haha.

I use Supertech straight 30 and change it seasonally. I also drain most of the gas, put a shot of stabil in the gas, run it dry and fog the engine. My Troy Built has been working great for 15 years now.

I've used the cheapest 5w-30 synthetic that I can find in mine.
Most likely that will be a store brand.

If the winter is especially severe, and the oil starts turning dark, I'll change it halfway through the winter.. and I'm out another $3.50.

This is on a Tecumseh 5hp engine.

Thanks guys. Wouldn't running an 0w-30 cause more start up wear? I keep reading to use GC 0w-30. To me a thinner oil would help with cold start up, yes, but also less film at start up too, right?

I ways have 5w40 left over from my truck, but I don't know if moving up on the heavy side is okay... It's an older motor so I'm sure she's a bit loose.

No oil is thin/ too thin at startup. Look at the absolute viscosity in cSt.

It's counter intuitive but rev it up right after you start it. Gets oil splashing everywhere. Low idles kill OPE. Don't load it hard right off the bat, but get it revving.

Gotcha,
Now this is an older motor and it only lists 5w-30 as an oil. No chart etc... Would 0w-30 still suffice?

Would the 5w40 Rotella be out of the question?

Seems as if I cant find the GC 0w30 locally so far... Is there an alternative worth using?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back