Oil for Sludge prone Chrysler 2.7L V6 - ur recommendation Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject says it all folks.

My awareness of just how serious this sludge issue is for the Chrysler 2.7L V has just been increased. I've come to the realization that 3000 mile OCIs and good quality filter every oil change may not (probably isn't enough). Oil is apparently exposed to localized skin temperatures of 300F+, and one report suggested spot temps as high as 400F. My engine currently has 133K miles (215K KM) and has been OK so far.

Rather than spend the next 2 weeks studying every post in this forum, I need ya'll to bring me up to speed as quickly as possible.

What do you recommend, and why ?

Thank you in advance...Phil

I also have the 2.7L and I use Mobil 1 5W-30 exclusively, since it can handle the high temps without turning to sludge.
Unfortunately oil is not the only problem with this engine design; the timing chain tensioners seem to go without notice. Some recommend getting the timing chain and tensioners replaced as early as 75K miles.

If you're in Canada, I would run the diesel rated XD-3 0w-30 or even 0w-40. Monitor with oil analysis, and consider the use of Lube Control. Base OCI on analysis results.

My short answer: I'd use German Castrol 0W-30 if I wanted a high-30 weight oil or M1 5W-30 EP if I wanted a low-30 weight oil. Why? Because I high-temp tested both of these oils against many other oils and they are very resistant to sludge/varnish. It takes some serious torture to break them down while some other highly regarded oils (many of them 40 weight synthetics)fall to pieces under same conditions.

What do I recommend? Only you know what it looks like under the oil filler cap & dipstick color 500 miles after an oil change. I gauge my engine cleanliness on dipstick color at 1K old. Mine stays clear on the dipstick. If it's black, then I shorten the next OCI in half. I need to do this once every 1-1/2 years - or every 5 OCIs. It is a Caravan 2.5 & now has almost 170K on it

If it's gunky, do an Auto-Rx.... then frequent OCIs. Changing every 3K using moly-rich Havoline dino will keep you from doing another expensive Auto-Rx. Actually for 3Ks, even Super Tech oil at Wally World will work fine. You may extend your OCIs if that engine is somewhat clean after an RX using 5 ounces Lube Control (one time only) with every oil change.

Supertech ain't available in Canada. the Walmart here in town used to stock Havoline about a year ago but it's not on their shelves, not sure about Walmarts in Ontario. I'd AutoRX twice, then run nothing but synthetic oil at 5000 mile OCI's with high quality, non-FRAM oil filters. 2 treatments of AutoRX might be a bit on the expensive side and if you wanted to skip that part, I'd run XD3 0w40, available at Walmart or Rotella T SB 0W40 available at Canadian Tire.

With that many miles do at least one Auto-RX, i would follow directions for a sludge motor.

Also do ARX for the tranny, follow the directions.

Maintain with LC.

It seems that 55 and Palut have the answer. I would Auto-rx the engine and run a 30wt HDEO like XD-3 and change oil every 5,000 miles. Redline would also be a good choice.

quote:

I'd run XD3 0w40, available at Walmart or Rotella T SB 0W40 available at Canadian Tire.

quote:

Since you're in Canada, use the XD-3 0W-30. It will handle running in that engine very, very well, and its cheaper than M1.

quote:

I would Auto-rx the engine and run a 30wt HDEO like XD-3 and change oil every 5,000 miles.

Three recommendations for XD-3 ; an oil I'm completely unfamiliar with. Can you guys expand a bit on why this is a good choice for this engine, and how XD-3 differs from 'normal'dino oil.

I hope I'm not asking too much here.

Thanks very much....Phil

I'm not too 'up' on the qualities of synthetic XD3, but I do know it is a very high quality oil and it's priced very attractively for a synthetic oil. A gallon jug of the synthetic XD3 0W40 at Walmart is $21.96, that's just 5.49 per liter. When you consider that other better known quality synthetic oils sell for anywhere from $7.99 to $11.99 or more per quart, the XD3 0W40 is a great deal. You can get it even cheaper if you go to an Esso bulk dealer and buy 4 1 gallon jugs at a time. Other people here will be able to tell you why it would be a good oil for you.

Thanks '55'.

Walmart huh ? I must go to have a look.

I'm a little concerned about using a 40 Weight in this engine. Chrysler recommends 5W-30 as preferred for virtually all temperature; 10W-30 can be used in warmer weather. This engine is supposedly built like a Swiss watch - very tight tolerances throughout.

And then, any oil that begins with a "0" zero just scares the heck out of me. It looks just too thin but I admit I don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks...Phil

Hello members....

My girlfriend has this very motor in her 2.7L 01 Sebring. 78,000 Km on the clock. Winter is here and as a matter of fact im doing an oil change with XD3 0W-30 synth on it tomorrow. I know that it does not meet the energy conserving rating but i dont care. I used it this past year in my out of warranty Ram and love this stuff. It doesnt burn off and starts like a charm in the extreme cold! I want to take advantage of the higher temp tolerances and cleaning additives found with this oil, especially for that hot running and potentially sludger 2.7 L. Anyone here have any other opinions as to why NOT to use this oil in that engine? I would really like to hear some comments. Va3ux the "0" number is the "cold" number it will aid in extreme cold starting, Don't worry it is still a "30" weight oil, although a tad on the thicker side of the 30 weight scale (From my readings here) It is a diesel oil, although it carries both diesel and gas powered ratings. It however does not carry the starburst or Eneregy consvering rating that the manual specifies. Check out Imperial Oils webpage for the PDF file in regards to specs and ratings. Also, it will be cheaper at any esso bulk station than at wallmart. Recently bought 2 cases of Synth 0w-30 for $3.78 L Can funds.

Hope this was of some help.

I'd pop in a bottle of Auto-RX with a Higher Capacity filter like the new Valvoline Max Life Filter and let it do it's job. I've seen one of these sludge monsters first hand. What a nightmare. Take Action before you have a VERY hefty repair bill on your hand.

MR. Ram, thanks for the info.

Everyone else : I see several recommendations for AutoRX. My worry about that sort of treatment is it may dislodge some sludge which in turn will plug some passage way off completely.

Is this a valid concern ?

Regarding the Valvoline MaxLife filter that was recommended, here's a cutaway pic I found om Valvolines website. Looks pretty good :

Valvoline MaxLife Filter Pic

Thanks All....Phil

Without knowing too much about how AutoRX works, I can say that it won't cause sludge to plug up oil galleries. It's a slow, gentle cleaner unlike those engine flushes, which BTW are mostly made of kerosene. Those engine flushes are harsh and are usually a bad idea for a good engine, and probably a worse idea for a potnetially sludged one. The Maxlife filter is a good filter, but there are some concerns that because it contains so much filtration media it may restrict flow somewhat. The Maxlife filter is a bit costly, usually $9.99 at Canadian Tire. Another filter you should consider is the Carquest premium filter. Highly recommended, a few bucks cheaper than the Maxlife filter and also has the benefit of a silicone anti-drainback valve.

"55" - $10 is also what I paid for the MaxLife filter at the Canadian Tire here in Grimsby, Ontario. I just did an OC and took it off after 6000km; replaced with a NAPA Gold (same as the Carquest you mentioned). I'm going to cut the MaxLife filter open. It'll be my first

Thanks for the info about the AutoRX. That sort of thing is all new to me.

This **** oil-filter thing is turning into a hobby. I don't need this. But it's too interesting - I can't stop.

Phil

va3ux,

the XD-3 may be a 0w-30 but it's very thick at operating temperature, closer to a 40 wt but not quite. It's also diesel rated so it has more additives which will help with your sludge situation.

Hello Members

Just to update: changed oil in 01 Sebring 2.7L "sludger" Used XD-3 0w-30 Full Synthetic

Car fires right up, no funny noises etc. Took an approximate 500 mile trip this weekend with it and all seems good. Used a wix filter if anyone cares
smile.gif
I think that this oil is going to stay in this engine for the duration of ownership, HDEO add pack, full synth cheap and readily available, how do you go wrong ?
smile.gif
May possibly do a UOA after long harsh winter service to see how it is performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back