oil for 2019 hyundai 2.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can only post what is in the online 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe owners manual, page 8-9.

[Linked Image]

Clearly shows 5w-20, 0/5w-30 and 10w-30.

based on my limited knowledge, going lower on the w side (e.g. From 5w or 10w to 0w or from 10 to 5w) should never cause any issues. In most cases, you will end up with a better oil since lower w oils like 0W will have a better base oil. one can argue that you will end up with a higher vii oil but I don't think that's a real concern when they say:
"Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage."

however, you should be careful going the other way (e.g. From 0 or 5w to 10w or from 0w to 5w) if you operate in extremely cold conditions.

The y part of xWy is another story ... That will hijack the thread into one of my most favorite subjects "thickies vs. thinies"
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Robster
My 2019 Santa Fe owner's manual states 0w-20 / 0w-30 may be used. 5w-20 is the default oil stated on the filler cap. This engine doesn't seem too picky for oil.

Hey Robster, can you share a picture of that page. That's interesting.

Edit* I just went back and saw the 0w30 ref shared by blupupher.

Last edited:
I found the wording on page 8-9. It's one of the very last pages of this one inch thick owners manual.
I will try / buy some 0W30 in the future. I have enough oil for almost four OCIs right now. So my timetable for 0w30 will be at 23K on the odometer. If it falls in April, I'll wait another OCI and change to 0W30 b/4 winter, not after.

We may have a new, different USA President by-then. Kim / North Korea may be selling vehicles in the USA by-then.
By-then, I'll be in my 70s and done crawling under vehicles. I'll take my 0w30 and OEM filter to an oil change shop to change.

Last edited:
Hyundai technician here. The 2.4s get 5w20 synthetic blend at 4,000 mile intervals. That's what hyundai specifies and it's what all the dealers use. I've never seen a case of sludge in a vehicle maintained exactly to this spec. I have, however, seen some serious cases of sludge in engines that people decided should go 10,000 miles or more between oil changes.
The absolute most important thing with hyundai is to use an oem filter. They have a tsb for every model about aftermarket filters causing damage. When submitting an engine for warranty they even ask if it had an oem filter at the time of failure.
As for the 0w30, the g70 has a sonata 2.0t engine in it and specifies 0w30, but thats only the turbo engines.

^^^
Hyundai's Owners Manual dictate what viscosity and intervals are to be used, not a dealership.

Hyundai's manual says 5w30, 5w20 or 10w30 (and it now appears 0W30) are recommended for the 2.4L. So I can understand some dealerships defaulting to 5w20. Both dealerships I took my Sonatas to defaulted to 5w30 conventional for whatever interval in the owners manual the client wanted to use, 3750 or 7500. So Hyundai does not "specify 5w20 for 4000 miles." That may be what your dealership does. Nor is it important to use the OE filter. Those "requirements" have been slapped down thoroughly by the Federal Trade Commission to the point where Hyundai now re-words their warranty language because of it.

https://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/fe...rning-to-hyundai-over-warranty-language/

Last edited:
*Fram Ultra XG9688 as well as a few other quality oil filters work just fine - possibly even better than the OEM oil filter .
Originally Posted by wemay
^^^
Hyundai's Owners Manual dictate what viscosity and intervals are to be used, not a dealership.

Hyundai's manual says 5w30, 5w20 or 10w30 (and it now appears 0W30) are recommended for the 2.4L. So I can understand some dealerships defaulting to 5w20. Both dealerships I took my Sonatas to defaulted to 5w30 conventional for whatever interval in the owners manual the client wanted to use, 3750 or 7500. So Hyundai does not "specify 5w20 for 4000 miles." That may be what your dealership does. Nor is it important to use the OE filter. Those "requirements" have been slapped down thoroughly by the Federal Trade Commission to the point where Hyundai now re-words their warranty language because of it.

Yes, it does work just fine. But I must add, if you're not interested in extending your filter use, the Extra Guard 9688 works splendidly as well. Unless, of course, you're also after the slight efficiency bump the Ultra gives.

Last edited:
From all accounts I read in the Old Filter Board Room, the Ultra works splendid with the 17/18/2019 2.4s. Keeps the dipstick cleaner & longer.
But I will not consider it, for my OCIs will only be 5K.
If the OEM-style filter can't keep my engine clean from small particles years down the road and my dipstick shows black early, then I'll change to the Ultra.

I changed my factory-fill oil last week at 3K and the dipstick was dark brown. So I should see black at 5K and will monitor my results each OCI afterwards.

Of all the different brands of oil I purchased for this 2.4 GDI, I only suspect Mobil-1 EP to darken and blacken prematurely. I'm fine with that. I know major brand oil (5w30) traits. Been doing these changes for half-century. All my vehicles since 1984 (6) have been fed 5w30

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Robster
My 2019 Santa Fe owner's manual states 0w-20 / 0w-30 may be used. 5w-20 is the default oil stated on the filler cap. This engine doesn't seem too picky for oil.

EDIT: I just realized that my manual doesn't spec "0w-20"--it's 5w-20 or 0 / 5w-30. My bad. . .

^^^

Who do you think tells the dealers what to do?
The 4k intervals line up exactly with the hyundai service schedule.
If you want to use 5w30 that's fine. The engine doesn't care, it's not that serious. Hyundai north america instructs the dealers to use what's printed on the oil cap, and set the service reminder for 4000 miles.

That's not what my Service Techs at Doral Hyundai, Kendall Hyundai or Owners Manual says. Sorry, have to agree to disagree.

Make up my mind? Not sure what you mean by that. And you weren't just stating what your dealership does, you clearly advised that "Hyundai specifies this and is what all dealerships use" a 4000 mile oci with 5w20. Not so. I advised that both, my manual and the dealerships I frequent make no mention of this. The dealerships abide by the manual. I've owned two Sonatas and now a Sportage with the 2.4L without issue and our 2.0T now has 179k miles without issue. So your last "dig" at the 2.4L is cute but not my or my family's experience. I've also used 5w20, 0w20, 5w30 and 10w30 in the 2.4. Oil choice was not my contention your claim that Hyundai specifies 4k mile oci was. Now you cleared it up by saying "your dealership" does this [not that it's a mandate from Hyundai]. So that settles it for me.
All in all, thanks for your points of view. All are welcome regardless of disagreements.
11.gif

Make up my mind? Not sure what you mean by that. And you weren't just stating what your dealership does, you clearly advised that "Hyundai specifies this and is what all dealerships use" a 4000 mile oci with 5w20. Not so. I advised that both, my manual and the dealerships I frequent make no mention of this. The dealerships abide by the manual. I've owned two Sonatas and now a Sportage with the 2.4L without issue and our 2.0T now has 179k miles without issue. So your last "dig" at the 2.4L is cute but not my or my family's experience. I've also used 5w20, 0w20, 5w30 and 10w30 in the 2.4. Oil choice was not my contention your claim that Hyundai specifies 4k mile oci was. Now you cleared it up by saying "your dealership" does this [not that it's a mandate from Hyundai]. So that settles it for me.
All in all, thanks for your points of view. All are welcome regardless of disagreements.
11.gif

What interval are you running then? 7500? You're going to get sludge unless you're using synthetic. Any time i see a car that's consistently run 6-7000 between changes it has sludge or is very dirty

11.gif

Good point Wemay. At my fleet/work we use a "blend" 5w30 and we go 4,500 miles. We use the Prime Guard OEM look alike filters. Had 2 vehicles a "quick lube" did oil changes on; drain plugs were never even tightened up. Dealership we used didnt even ask about oil filter used. Thank You for clearing this issue up Wemay:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
From all accounts I read in the Old Filter Board Room, the Ultra works splendid with the 17/18/2019 2.4s. Keeps the dipstick cleaner & longer.
But I will not consider it, for my OCIs will only be 5K.
If the OEM-style filter can't keep my engine clean from small particles years down the road and my dipstick shows black early, then I'll change to the Ultra.

I changed my factory-fill oil last week at 3K and the dipstick was dark brown. So I should see black at 5K and will monitor my results each OCI afterwards.

Of all the different brands of oil I purchased for this 2.4 GDI, I only suspect Mobil-1 EP to darken and blacken prematurely. I'm fine with that. I know major brand oil (5w30) traits. Been doing these changes for half-century. All my vehicles since 1984 (6) have been fed 5w30

Very interesting. I've had exact opposite results. out of 4 or 5 different oil that I've used (2 or 3 different conventional and recently 2 different synthetics) M1 EP has been the best (color wise). the oil doesn't get dark/black as quickly as others. PP is good also. I switch between the 2. M1 EP 10Wx30 in summer and PP 5Wx30 in winter. I assume in winter the engine is harder on oil as far as fuel dilution so PP maybe facing harsher conditions ... going to try PP Euro L next time.

Originally Posted by Zuzuwu
11.gif

What interval are you running then? 7500? You're going to get sludge unless you're using synthetic. Any time i see a car that's consistently run 6-7000 between changes it has sludge or is very dirty

Yes, I use synthetic in my current 2.4 Sportage. Since I DIY, it gets changed between 4-5k miles now that I've reached 12k on the odo and my non-scientific break-in schedule is done. The Sonatas each had maint pkgs that called for every 6k mile intervals. Those vehicles got Synthetic 90% of the time since I brought my own to the dealership. But that oci was the dealership recommendation. When I pointed out the manual says up to 7500, they said that would be fine too. After doing the math, I realized that the only I'd get the full value of the pkg would be to change out every 5k miles because of the mileage per year calculated by pkg exp date. So that's what I did. When the pkgs expired, I did a few dealer changes before going DIY. When the Techs would wrap up the change, they would ask me what interval I'd like the computer set to...with 7500 being the max. I kept it at between 4-6k miles. The Santa Fe Sport Turbo is the wife's vehicle. She drives under the Severe Service Schedule (works 5 miles away but takes 35 min or more to get there). Every Tech I've talked to ( including bitog member, 69Torino), and the Hyundai USA tech help line have advised that as long as the max oci in manual is met, along with proper fluids, warranty coverage assured. Just don't extend past 7500.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
11.gif

Good point Wemay. At my fleet/work we use a "blend" 5w30 and we go 4,500 miles. We use the Prime Guard OEM look alike filters. Had 2 vehicles a "quick lube" did oil changes on; drain plugs were never even tightened up. Dealership we used didnt even ask about oil filter used. Thank You for clearing this issue up Wemay:)

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back