oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dabo72
which oil filter would you recommend on a 2017 5.3 silverado. Running valvoline 0w-20 and change oil every 5000. thx.

Easy on the wallet and easy to find improved quality Fram Extra Guard. Perfect for your 5K OCIs and can go 7.5K if necessary.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It's a TSB....I have yet to see anywhere where it is "required".

Thats not the way it works.

The Owner's Manual specifies the AC-Delco PF64, that has the high pressure bypass. Its up to the owner to use that one, or an equivalent or better oil filter that basically matches all the important oil filter performance specs.

The TSB just makes that point. GM is saying "Hey all, the PF64 and PF63E oil filters have a high bypass pressure, for a reason." Implying that the owner must match the performance specs of the filter clearly pointed out in the Owner's Manual.

It's up to the aftermarket filter manufacturer to engineer a filter that's compatible with the applications listed in their application guide. There's a reason cross referencing is discouraged. If a filter manufacturer specifies a filter for an application that it's not really suited for, then that manufacturer has some work to do.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's up to the aftermarket filter manufacturer to engineer a filter that's compatible with the applications listed in their application guide. There's a reason cross referencing is discouraged. If a filter manufacturer specifies a filter for an application that it's not really suited for, then that manufacturer has some work to do.
True.

Problem is, Fram or Puro or whoever would easily wiggle out of and endlessly argue any engine problem caused by their oil filter. It is hard to prove an oil filter caused anything bad to happen, and this bypass pressure issue is most likely to merely cause a little extra wear over a long period of time, not even noticeable to most people.

Thats why Fram, for example, has taken years to catch up to what GM has been requiring: The rarity of any problem (they know that) and the fact that they can argue against any claim quite easily. Duck-and-cover is a great strategy if you're a parts company.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey... I hope you are still around "D" friend.

That manufacturer does make very good spark plugs and air filters. In fact that plugs are OEM for my car.
Still around bbhero. Agree that that manufacturer does make very good products. Regards
smile.gif

OEM is always a safe solution! But, we Americans have freedom of choice. I'm no expert, but OEM is good quality. Every application is different. The Fram Ultra and Amsoil are my favorites for my application. You can always ask Pablo any questions. He is our experienced Amsoil representative on BITOG. As far as specifications concerning Amsoil oil filters. Motorking is our expert rep from Fram.

Good hunting dabo72!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Thats why Fram, for example, has taken years to catch up to what GM has been requiring: The rarity of any problem (they know that) and the fact that they can argue against any claim quite easily. Duck-and-cover is a great strategy if you're a parts company.

If GM has customers skeptical around their AC Delco filters, they have no one to blame but themselves. The ecore business, particularly at the outset, left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. It's a much different situation than when I was buying AC Delco specifically because of good construction and a cost significantly less than any of the competition on the shelves here. Motorcraft has people, at least here, wary of QC, too, thanks to Purolator.

Certainly, some aftermarket filter manufacturers have been very careful about ensuring good match to what the OEM intends. Wix has been a good historical example of that, noting how they handled various Chev filters over the years, not to mention separating model numbers where some filter manufacturers did not, notably when they hived off two part numbers for Honda and Nissan/Infiniti applications.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Cmon guys,don't overthink every question.
The op can use any namebrand filter that makes one for his car.
It is not complicated.

Less spendy: AC, Wix, NAPA Gold.
More spendy: Mobil 1, K&N.
Any of those will be fine.

So it appears I should just stay with a cellulose filter like wix 10255.?? Which catches more debris between a cellulose or synthetic

Originally Posted By: dabo72
Which catches more debris between a cellulose or synthetic

Depends on how the media is designed. Only indication of filtering performance is ISO 4548-12 test data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back