Oil filter gasket loose - normal?

Was just doing an oil change with a Toyota OEM filter. I went to apply some oil to the gasket and I can just spin the gasket around. Is that normal?

That might be unusual but I've never handled a Toyota filter. Used a Motorcraft FL500S on my Ford Edge lately and it leaked. Replaced with another FL500S and it is good now. Just the second time in >50 years of changing my own oil had that happen.

Sometimes little things can surprise you.

1646173208762.jpg

Yes, its pretty normal for OEM filters I've used. Motorcraft, Toyota, Honda, Mopar. I may just be wrong, but each filter while I was lubing the gasket was able to spin.

Was just doing an oil change with a Toyota OEM filter. I went to apply some oil to the gasket and I can just spin the gasket around. Is that normal?
If it spins but can't come out of the groove it's in, then it should be OK to use. Once the filter is installed it gets compressed anyway.

I think my experience is due to the amount of pressure I use to lube the gasket. Actually based on most experiences I would have to be.

I don’t understand the need for any pressure. First, unless things have changed, the OEM Denso filters come with pre-lubed gaskets. Second, a finger dipped in clean oil and ran around the gasket lightly doesn’t exert any pressure. This is especially true for P gaskets which are smooth compared to some flat gaskets I have encountered which were not. I didn’t exert any pressure on those either.

I don’t understand the need for any pressure. First, unless things have changed, the OEM Denso filters come with pre-lubed gaskets. Second, a finger dipped in clean oil and ran around the gasket lightly doesn’t exert any pressure. This is especially true for P gaskets which are smooth compared to some flat gaskets I have encountered which were not. I didn’t exert any pressure on those either.
I don't have any feeling in my finger tips, so I cannot judge pressure very well, Neuropathy is a *****. Makes picking up small objects hell, and working on bolts and etc with no visibility is impossible. Should have elaborated that..

I don't have any feeling in my finger tips, so I cannot judge pressure very well, Neuropathy is a *****. Makes picking up small objects hell, and working on bolts and etc with no visibility is impossible. Should have elaborated that..

Then I understand. I have it in my feet.

I looked at one, and can spin the gasket easily through the cellophane cover. It is already lubricated with some kind of grease. Yes, it is normal.

image.jpg

Back