Oil filter gasket and mating surface prep during change.

When doing your oil changes do you always check for left over gasket material on the mating surface? Left over gasket? Do you wipe the mating surface down? Do you always oil the filter gasket? Do you use clean or used oil to lube the gasket?

I wipe the mating surface checking for gasket material. I always oil the gasket. I use either new oil or some used oil from the drain pan or used filter.

No, I just make sure the gasket is on the filter instead of stuck there. Don't wipe it down unless there was crud everywhere near it so a chance some got on it.

I always oil the filter gasket. I use used oil because that's what's under the vehicle where I am. I might've used new oil instead a few times, if I thought about it ahead of time but usually the new oil isn't opened till the new filter is already on... just the order of doing things, while under the vehicle.

No, i just make sure i can see the gasket on the old filter. I don't even bother wiping it, no need either.

Reactions: 4WD
If the gasket is intact and still on the filter, I'll just oil the new filter gasket with whatever oil (either one) and send it.

I wipe off the mating surface. Instead of using oil I use grease on the gasket. That way I can usually remove the filter without a wrench the next time I change oil. If I use oil, it seems to dry out and the gasket sticks, making it harder to remove.

I wipe off the mating surface; allows me to make sure there's nothing there before installing the new filter. Checking for a filter gasket can be traced back to the days when Chevrolet V8's used cartridge filters.

I've always lubed the new filter gasket with used oil. A Ducati workshop reference I have states that new oil tends to "glue" gaskets in place; I don't know how true this is - never happened to me with fresh oil.

When doing your oil changes do you always check for left over gasket material on the mating surface? Left over gasket? Do you wipe the mating surface down? Do you always oil the filter gasket? Do you use clean or used oil to lube the gasket?

I wipe the mating surface checking for gasket material. I always oil the gasket. I use either new oil or some used oil from the drain pan or used filter.
That's what I have done for years. The old filter and gasket always come off easily.

I always double check to see that I can see the mating surface.

My first DIY oil change, I was 16 using the dreaded OCOD, I did not check and needed up with a double gasketed nstallation. I though the engine blew when all the oil poured out. Lesson learned never happened again after that.

I make sure the gasket is removed. That is the most important. I then wipe clean the the engine's filter base and apply clean oil to the new filter's gasket.

I check to make sure the gasket didn’t get stuck and then give it a quick wipe clean. Then I dip my finger in the used oil and apply a thin coating on the new gasket.

I always look at the mating surface. Its easy to see if the gasket is still on the old filter but I look for garbage or any damage. I give it a wipe and then carry on. I drive lots of grid roads so there is always dirt everywhere.

Check for old gasket on both filter and engine, then oil new filter mating surface with fresh oil. Still needed on my motorcycle, but much easier nowadays with cartridge filters located in the engine bay. Unfortunately, some engineers seem intent on burying them, limiting access. Have not worked out how to pre-oil the filter as they are now installed vertically and upside down. Perhaps another thread?

I always "pre-fill" my new filters and use a drop of fresh oil on the gasket when doing so. I also use a rag to wipe off the mounting surface of the filter and that ensures that the old gasket isn't stuck to it.

My Jaguar uses a cartridge filter that is mounted vertically on top of the engine. The instructions for doing a filter change emphasize that a couple of ounces of fresh oil should be poured into the bottom of the filter housing before installing the new filter.
I assume this is to "prime" the passageway down into the sump or back up to the new filter once the engine is started and the oil system is pressurized.

The cartridge filter uses a large O ring around the top and that is oiled, also according to the factory instructions.

Back