New Oil Pan Prep

Hi All.
Installing new oil pan on my 15 Malibu 2.5l.
The new pan is painted black. Should I lightly scuff mating surface with 3m red Scotch Brite pad? OR does the mating surface need to be stripped down to bare metal or can I install it the way it is? I plan on using Ultra Black RTV sealer.
Thanks

IMG_4899.JPG

Clean the leftover RTV off of the engine block mating surface with a straight razor blade, being careful not to scratch the surface if at all possible. Clean both surfaces with degreaser and then follow the instructions on the RTV.

One of the problems with the Ford 6.7 PSD is that the oil pan begins to leak at about 150K. And the reason is that RTV was used to seal the oil pan to the block. So surprised other engines are also using RTV to use to seal the oil pan to the block.

One of the problems with the Ford 6.7 PSD is that the oil pan begins to leak at about 150K. And the reason is that RTV was used to seal the oil pan to the block. So surprised other engines are also using RTV to use to seal the oil pan to the block.
I think it's more how the rtv is applied vs the material itself. Plenty of Manus use rtv in all sorts of things and don't have oil leaks until well into the engines lifespan. Poor application of rtv will result in leaks. Proper application won't.

If it's a dealer pan, I'll install.

If it is an aftermarket pan with a furniture varnish shiny type finish, I'll run over it with a worn wire wheel (on the drill) and wash with degreaser before applying RTV; I don't trust the finish on those aftermarket pans.

Last edited:

Duramax upper oil pans are also sealed with RTV, In fact the Duramax uses a lot of RTV sealed covers.......They're not known to leak oil.

Back