Oil/filter for a 2017 3.6 Chev Impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
They didn't reset the OLM, hmmmm....does the oil look clean and clear on the stick ?

It was dark by the time we brought it home last night and the same happened tonight as I was busy after work. [censored] weather tomorrow and my wife will have it anyways but I will check either Sat or Sun. Regardless, it is getting changed and the synthetic PP is going in, especially with winter fast approaching.
Tomorrow a deposit is being put on some Cooper WSC winter tires and rims. These 19 inch, 245/45 19's are way too wide and "summery" to even take a chance on. No TPM's, but at $50+ a tire, m wife said she could live with the light on all winter.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Cooper/WEATHER-MASTER+WSC
http://us.coopertire.com/tires/weather-master-wsc.aspx

Originally Posted By: irv
I picked up 2, 5 Litre jugs of Pennzoil Platinum last night at CDN Tire. They were on sale at $39.97 and I think it was the last day for the sale? Just need to get a good filter today and hopefully I can do an oil change this week-end? I noticed last night, when we were bringing the car home, if the dealer "did" change the oil, they forgot to re-set the oil change interval. My gut tells me they didn't as it show 47% oil life remaining and they are a Ford dealer?

I was in at Part Source today and noticed they had Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on sale for $31.97, which, of course, is $8.00 dollars less a jug than the Pennzoil Platinum. I found this funny as both CDN Tire and Part Source are the basically the same company or PS is owned by CDN Tire?
Needless to say, I returned the PP to CDN Tire and while there picked up 2 Fram Synthetic Ultra Guard oil filters that were on sale. I then checked CDN Tire's shelfs to see if they had the Ultra on sale but noticed they don't even carry it? Back to Parts Source where I picked up another Pennzoil Ultra for my wife's car and luckily picked up 2 jugs for my truck (5W-20) at the same sale price. All jugs are the 5 ltr ones as well.
smile.gif

I run Pennz Platinum 5w30 in both of my 3.6 vehicles with Wix filters, do 5K oil changes to stay on top of any timing chain issues, if any.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
I run Pennz Platinum 5w30 in both of my 3.6 vehicles with Wix filters, do 5K oil changes to stay on top of any timing chain issues, if any.
cheers3.gif

Those timing chain issues were corrected, as far as I know, back in 2012 or 2013? I researched this before purchasing our 17 with the 3.6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
FRAM XG10575
WIX 57045XP

That's the one I purchased after I had the guy verify the one I chosen. The one I had was a bit shorter (10060, I believe?) so I ended with the bit longer one, or the XG 10575. I ended up buying 2 of those as they were on sale a couple of bucks.

I went directly to FRAM to get that number.
They say XG10575 for the 2017 CHEVROLET IMPALA V6 3.6

When I was searching yesterday, I found all the numbers I needed for a air and oil filter. While I was in the store, and not fully trusting my numbers that I got from the net, I had the guy verify them first before purchasing them. He said too, what I assume was the manager, have a look at this. He was showing/telling him, when he punched in my oil filter number, that my filter was superseded by your filter number. The manager said, yeah, I have seen that before, an updated filter, or a bit larger filter now replaces it. Needless to say, I returned the one I had to the shelf (10060) and I got the new # filter, which is just slightly taller.

Nice Car. I would run full synthetic dexos 1 gen 2 & just pick your favorite brand. If you like the performance of the oil, stick with your choice for a long time. 50k+. Fram ultra for the oil filter. Change the oil every 5k, change the filter every 10k. The newer generations of the GM 3.6L engines are GTG but they are D.I. so why press your luck? Stick with a 5k oci. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lfx/ Kinda wish we had opted for the Impala. Enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Nice Car. I would run full synthetic dexos 1 gen 2 & just pick your favorite brand. If you like the performance of the oil, stick with your choice for a long time. 50k+. Fram ultra for the oil filter. Change the oil every 5k, change the filter every 10k. The newer generations of the GM 3.6L engines are GTG but they are D.I. so why press your luck? Stick with a 5k oci. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lfx/ Kinda wish we had opted for the Impala. Enjoy it.

Thanks.
11.gif

As I gather, from some posts in here, it sounds like the Ultra might be discontinued or it will likely never have the Dexos-1 Gen-2 rating so it's unlikely I will continue to use it.
If the Platinum is going to meet that standard, then that is what I will likely switch back to. I noticed today that it is probably pretty likely that the Ford dealer I purchased the car from did change the oil. I noticed a new looking Fram filter on it and I believe it had a Purolator on it when I checked under the hood prior to purchasing the car.
He/they just didn't reset the oil life monitor. I would assume? I think I can also likely assume that the Ford oil they likely put in it was not Dexos rated oil?
I was hoping to change it out today but it is still windy and cold and my driveway is slush/snow filled. Tomorrow is suppose to be warmer so I hope to change it then.

Quote:
I noticed today that it is probably pretty likely that the Ford dealer I purchased the car from did change the oil. I noticed a new looking Fram filter on it and I believe it had a Purolator on it when I checked under the hood prior to purchasing the car.
He/they just didn't reset the oil life monitor. I would assume? I think I can also likely assume that the Ford oil they likely put in it was not Dexos rated oil?

Yes sounds like they did change the oil, just not reset the OLM.

You don't know what oil they used (you could phone them) but it's probably not a bad oil, it will be a modern SN & GF-5 oil of some type. No need to rush the next oil change, it's at about 50% now if you take it to 0%, it will only be half used, which is as far as I would push a mystery oil.

You could consider taking it to 10 or 20% before changing.

Quote:
I noticed today that it is probably pretty likely that the Ford dealer I purchased the car from did change the oil. I noticed a new looking Fram filter on it and I believe it had a Purolator on it when I checked under the hood prior to purchasing the car.

You don't know what oil they used (you could phone them) but it's probably not a bad oil, it will be a modern SN & GF-5 oil of some type. No need to rush the next oil change, it's at about 50% now if you take it to 0%, it will only be half used, which is as far as I would push a mystery oil.

I assume it's likely not synthetic? Regardless, it's likely not Dexos rated even if it is synthetic, and besides, I have 3 new jugs of Ultra and 2 new Fram Ultra filters just calling my name.
grin2.gif

Quote:
I have 3 new jugs of Ultra and 2 new Fram Ultra filters just calling my name

Laugh !!! Go for it !!!
That is an excellent oil and filter combo.

Filters:
FRAM XG10575
WIX 57045XP
NAPA PFL-47045

WIZ 57045 is the one i run on both of my 3.6's.

Quote:

I was able to change the oil and filter today and I am sure glad I did!
eek.gif
I never really thought of any of this until after I was done, however, as this was the first time for me on this car so I was a little preoccupied locating the drain plug and wondering the best way to tackle the filter, etc?
Long story short, after I was done, it dawned on me, this oil was definitely not changed at the dealer's like they said it was. The Fram filter was new, but that was it. When I drained the oil I was positioning the pan and not really paying attention to the color of the oil but as I was decanting it into my waste jugs for disposal after I was finished, it looked way too black for oil that only had a couple hundred KM's on it (less that 200 miles)
This past week, while checking the oil in wife's car, I noticed it down a touch, maybe in the neighborhood of a 1/4 to 1/2 a ltr on the dipstick? Our driveway is angled, not steep, but angled enough that I thought that was likely the reason?
When I was under the car, after I began to drain the oil, I reached up to undo the filter and it literally started spinning lose the moment I touched it!
mad.gif

It was barely spun on and I have no doubts, over time, it would have likely come loose/failed. I know the drill, just mate the surface then give it one full turn and that's it, but with this filter, zero effort at all was given to loosen it.
mad.gif

My Father, who was visiting, noticed the color of the used oil as I was decanting it but never said anything as he was talking to my wife. I just finished phoning him and he also said, he thought the oil was awfully dark/dirty for only having a couple hundred KM's on it.

I will never be able to prove anything, unless I send in a sample, but I am sure glad I never waited to change this oil out until the spring, which had crossed my mind, as I don't think this would have ended up as a good story to tell.

Just curious, as the oil filter attaches to this engine (3.6) in the horizontal position, is there a flow back stop/limiter in the engine or filter?
I hate thoughts, (and have always hated these horizontal mounted filters) that the engine takes longer to build up oil pressure while it's filling the filter back up.
Are my fears unfounded or is it just the way this engine is and I'll have to live with it?

I just checked the oil level, with around another 200 klicks on the new oil, and guess what, it still looks like it just came out of the bottle. I have no doubts whatsoever now, the dealer we purchased the car from never did an oil change, they just changed the filter. The oil was all the way up on the dipstick too.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Impala, same engine. As far as the filter goes, GM has a TSB regarding filters. They want the bypass valve at about 22PSI (IIRC). There was also an issue with oil passages plugging up from silicon anti drain back valves. I don't remember where I read about these issues. Either here on BITOG or Impalaforum.com. I use a AC PF63E filter. I know it is ecore, but I cut open every used filter and have seen no problems. In those articles I read, GM won't warranty engine failure if it is caused by silicon anti drain back valves plugging up oil passages.

For oil, I have been using Mobil 1 5-30EP. I change at 5,000 mile intervals. I use close to 1 quart in that time frame. GM says that is within spec. I'm thinking about trying Pennzoil, to see if that helps the oil usage.

I’m guessing the time it takes to fill the filter with oil is so tiny you would miss it if you blinked. I would not worry

Originally Posted By: greed
I have a 2015 Impala, same engine. As far as the filter goes, GM has a TSB regarding filters. They want the bypass valve at about 22PSI (IIRC). There was also an issue with oil passages plugging up from silicon anti drain back valves. I don't remember where I read about these issues. Either here on BITOG or Impalaforum.com. I use a AC PF63E filter. I know it is ecore, but I cut open every used filter and have seen no problems. In those articles I read, GM won't warranty engine failure if it is caused by silicon anti drain back valves plugging up oil passages.

For oil, I have been using Mobil 1 5-30EP. I change at 5,000 mile intervals. I use close to 1 quart in that time frame. GM says that is within spec. I'm thinking about trying Pennzoil, to see if that helps the oil usage.

That is great information, thanks.
cheers3.gif

I have had good luck with Pennzoil Platinum in my Hemi with no consumption issues at all in 60,000+ km's. I usually am around 7 to 10,000 km's between drains, or one year, and have added zero, not a drop, in that time frame. 2 yrs ago I went over 12,500 km's between oil changes due to travelling my son all over the Province for his Rep hockey. I don't normally do that but knowing I had a good quality synthetic in there, I wasn't overly worried about it. I never had to add a drop that time either.

You're probably right, PimTac, I guess I am just being anal.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
I have no doubts whatsoever now, the dealer we purchased the car from never did an oil change

Glad to hear you have good oil in there now and that the filter is on correctly. Good work mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back