Oil disposal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 30 Litre plastic Jerry Can, I take it to the local landfill when it's 3/4 full and dump it in their 1000 gallon waste oil tank. It goes to the local re-refinery in Breslau Ontario for processing into new engine oil.

What do you guys do with your worn out antifreeze? I have two gallons from a flush and don't know if I should just mix it with my used motor oil and bring to Autozone/Advance/Orielies? Wonder if they have a separate tank for coolant? Guess I could call.

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
What do you guys do with your worn out antifreeze? I have two gallons from a flush and don't know if I should just mix it with my used motor oil and bring to Autozone/Advance/Orielies? Wonder if they have a separate tank for coolant? Guess I could call.

Oil and water (coolant) don't mix. Don't do this. It contaminates the oil and ruins it altogether.

It's been years but I have heard some municipalities do allow coolant to go down the drain.

I would ask your local auto parts places to see which one will take antifreeze. You might have to ask some local garages, since they have the same problem. I'd make sure to ask how much they charge to take it from you.

NEVER mix coolant with used motor oil . The resulting product will have to be disposed of as hazardous waste . Where I worked , we generated a lot of used motor oil . The environmental contractor that picked up the oil would ding us good if the oil was contaminated with any other product .

I have 4 oil jugs (5 qt) that I reuse over and over for waste oil. I bring them to Autozone and dump them into their container myself, or sometimes an employee will do it for me. I used to bring it to my town's transfer station, but they stopped accepting oil and antifreeze after some doofus dumped oil with PCBs there. So I go to Autozone for oil disposal now, but they don't take antifreeze. Now my only option to dispose of antifreeze is to go to the hazardous waste facility, which is a 12 mile drive each way, and they're only open on Saturdays for 3 hours (9-12), and only from May through October. They're closed completely the rest of the year. It couldn't be any more inconvenient. I have a few gallons of antifreeze I can't get rid of for the next 3 months.
mad.gif

I couldn't do without my waste oil caddy! Acquiring mine has a funny story......I was working at a shop that had several of them & a "new" mechanic didn't really know how to empty them, He strung a air hose all the way out to bulk storage tanks & hooked up the caddy. But he didn't secure the discharge hose, just slipped it on the discharge port & of course it popped off.
Oil shot up in the air probably 20 feet, Covering him & everything around the bulk tanks in used oil.....One of the funnest things I've ever seen in my life!! We called him Jed Clampett after that because he "Struck Oil"!

He somehow convinced the owner that the caddy was at fault & they were going to throw it away, It got put in the back of my truck & been using it for years!

For storage.....I have a 275 gallon composite bulk container, They last @ 5-7 years in the Texas sun before getting brittle. Reconditioned ones are dirt cheap ($50-$75) & are reasonable to get pumped out.
The one one the right is for antifreeze.

When it's EOL.....I put the empty container on the curb & a "scrapper" will pick it up for the steel frame.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well... mine goes right in the trash.
I live on a gravel road and when the G- man leaves my place there is always 3 big streaks for about 600'. Perfect! I'm sure some how dust is causing global warming so I'm going green here!
Some how I gotta one up ole Jeff so.......,
Roadway recycling! Yeah baby!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew
Well... mine goes right in the trash.
I live on a gravel road and when the G- man leaves my place there is always 3 big streaks for about 600'. Perfect! I'm sure some how dust is causing global warming so I'm going green here!
Some how I gotta one up ole Jeff so.......,
Roadway recycling! Yeah baby!

I'm not gonna tell you I used to pour used oil down the storm drain at the end of the street...

I use the used/empty 35lb. fryer oil containers I can pick up at restaurants. They hold quite a bit. Drop them off at a local oil place when filled.

Some people imagine this chore to be more difficult than it is.
As for me:
Before c. 1982 (unenlightened times): Spread it on gravel driveway to discourage grass and weeds.
c.1982-2004?: Store in old 1-gallon milk bottle, take to Advance Auto or Kmart.
2004-present: Store in old 5-quart engine oil bottle(s), take to county recycling center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back