Oil dipstick question

Black in your exhaust pipe doesn’t necessarily mean oil burning. Most times black in the exhaust pipe signifies a rich fuel condition. The black is soot. Many of today’s cars are running rich.
The best time to check your oil is when the engine is cold. A good example of this is to check the first thing in the morning. Just like checking the air pressure in your tires.

Dipsticks aren’t precision measuring instruments. As long as the level is in the operating range, don’t worry about it.
I was thinking the same thing! The level is right in the middle between FULL and ADD. But, I checked it with a HOT engine!

I really hope my Elantra is NOT excessively burning oil! I love my Elantra and it is in great shape, runs so smooth and gets 36 MPG, and this is not even highway driving!

If you're 1/2 quart low 500 miles before an oil change, it would be wasteful to add 1/2 quart now to bring it to the full level when it's going to get dumped in just 500 miles.
I wouldn't call it "wasteful" to avoid driving around low on oil for 500 miles. Operate the vehicle as it was intended to be operated...... With the oil capacity at the FULL level. Save the $3 bucks somewhere else.

Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition with 75,000 on it now. The car has been flawless. My question is does the oil line on the dipstick ALWAYS has to be right at the FULL line otherwise you are burning oil? I just checked it now and its right in the middle, between ADD and FULL. I do 4000 oil changes ( do a lot of short miles trips and not much highway) with full synthetic and I am due in about 500 miles.
Thanks

Michael in NJ
Note where the oil line is at after you do your oil change. The level may have been in the middle range the entire time after your last oil change.

It is never wasteful to keep the oil level full. Check it at every fuel fill up and top it off as needed.

Your owners manual covers the procedure since too many make up their own incorrect oil level check procedure.

dipstick.jpg

A couple of things. I like to check my oil in the morning after the car has sat overnight for the best reading. I go by the dipstick when I do an oil change, but keep it a bit low. I then recheck it the next morning. It is not uncommon that the next-morning reading is a bit different than when I did the oil change. I have had some dipsticks that can feel seated but then require a little extra push to go all the way in. Makes the oil reading seem low.

A couple of things. I like to check my oil in the morning after the car has sat overnight for the best reading. I go by the dipstick when I do an oil change, but keep it a bit low. I then recheck it the next morning. It is not uncommon that the next-morning reading is a bit different than when I did the oil change. I have had some dipsticks that can feel seated but then require a little extra push to go all the way in. Makes the oil reading seem low.
Good advice. Also, be sure that your dipstick is correct. Many are not. When I purchased our new Jeep, the oil level was showing considerably overfilled when I got it home.

I changed the oil and filter, and added 7 quarts. (What the manual states as the full capacity). It showed the same. I contacted the dealer and they told be that a TSB had been issued pertaining to my engine, (5.7 HEMI), saying the dipsticks were reading incorrect.

He told me to come in and bring my dipstick. He then gave me the correct one, with a different part number. It read correct, right to the FULL line.

Checking the oil after the car sits overnight is the correct way to do it.
Some dipsticks aren’t even correct. Our VW Tiguan is that way.
The owners manual describes the procedure for checking the oil level.

I wouldn't call it "wasteful" to avoid driving around low on oil for 500 miles. Operate the vehicle as it was intended to be operated...... With the oil capacity at the FULL level. Save the $3 bucks somewhere else.
Half way below the F mark isn't low. L is low. And when I suggest 3,000 mile oil changes, people here seem to think THAT is wasteful. Go figure. ;)

Half way below the F mark isn't low. L is low.
And, you can drive the car with it below Low and it won't instantly die. At a gas station once someone with a nice newish Volvo asked me what the light on their dashboard meant. I took a look and it was the oil light. I pulled the dipstick and there was no oil in sight. The person was well into a multi-year lease and had never checked the oil and thought that they didn't need to because they were just going to return the car at the end of the lease. I think it took a full two quarts to appear on the dipstick.

Half way below the F mark isn't low.
Yes it is. It's a half quart low. What are the benefits of driving around with it that way, when it takes 2 minutes to top it off to the correct amount?

No, you're most likely not going to hurt anything by not doing it. But where is the "reward"? Saving $3 bucks on a half quart of oil?

Out here in the Summer, running around with less than full oil capacity means higher oil temperatures. That is never a good thing.

As long as it shows something on the stick it's guaranteed to not blow up by the next hour. Just don't let it go dry. But optimally you'd want it to be at the top mark.

You can never be sure that low and top markers mean 1 quart and thus half way down means half a quart but that's probably what it burnt so yes it did burn some oil. I assume you're using 0w-20. If it was mine I'd use something thicker.

Checking the oil after the car sits overnight is the correct way to do it.
Some dipsticks aren’t even correct. Our VW Tiguan is that way.
The owners manual describes the procedure for checking the oil level.
None of mine say to check the oil with the engine cold. At the end of the day if you measure the oil in at an oil change and check it after the first run, then you know the correct level at whatever temp its at then.

2019 Toyota:

Checking the engine oil
1 Park the vehicle on level
ground. After warming up the
engine and turning off the
engine, wait more than 5
minutes for the oil to drain
back into the bottom of the
engine.

2011 and 2008 Nissan:

CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply
the parking brake.
2. Start the engine and let it idle until it reaches
operating temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10
minutes for the oil to drain back into
the oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinsert
it all the way.

I just checked this morning with a COLD engine and the oil level is very slightly above the half mark between FULL and ADD. I see many are saying I am a 1/2 quart low and should add, but the level is not even close to the ADD mark, so why add?? Isnt the ADD mark there for a reason??

I just checked this morning with a COLD engine and the oil level is very slightly above the half mark between FULL and ADD. I see many are saying I am a 1/2 quart low and should add, but the level is not even close to the ADD mark, so why add?? Isnt the ADD mark there for a reason??
The add mark indicates 1 quart low.

The full mark indicates full.

The halfway point between full and add is approximately half a quart.

Back