oil and it effect on pcv systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that no one says anything about pcv systems except for chevron? This is from their site:

Chevron Supreme Motor Oils
Chevron Supreme Motor Oils are premium quality automotive engine oils.

Chevron Supreme Motor Oils SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30 are formulated with ISOSYN® base stocks, a shearstable viscosity index improver, and contain detergent, dispersant, wear control, antioxidant, corrosion inhibitor, and foam suppressant additives.

The high viscosity index of Chevron Supreme Motor Oils ensures low viscosities at low temperatures for easy cold starting and rapid warmup and high viscosities at high temperatures for fuel economy, oil economy, and effective protective films for engine parts.

Their antiwear additives provide excellent wear protection of critical engine parts.

A high level of dispersancy in Chevron Supreme Motor Oils protects against deposit and sludge formation in stop-and-go driving and sustained high temperature operation, and protects against corrosion.

Their excellent high temperature oxidation stability prevents viscosity increase and oil gelling in the crankcase. They keep PCV systems clean to maintain smooth engine performance.

Do other oil address this?

I know that my PCV is always spotless and dry with the use of Amsoil. ?!?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I know that my PCV is always spotless and dry with the use of Amsoil. ?!?
21.gif

Maybe because its not venting the gases! lol

I've used M1 oils for 31 years and my PVC valves stay very clean. Im fact in all these years I have only changed two PVC valves and one was on a high mileage engine when I bought it.

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
Low NOACK oil accompanied by tight rings will keep the PCV clean :).

A good oil, keeping the engine healthy and good OIC's is key to keeping the pcv system in good working order. It also helps in winter and cold weather not to do just short trips where the engine never gets up to operating temps. Gotta get that puppy warmed up to get the moisture ouf of the crankcase.

Other oils could not help but keep the PCV valve clean.
It is a by product of the additives and chemistry that keeps the engine clean.

There's nothing fancy about a PCV system. It's a valve or valves on the valve cover that connects to the intake manifold via a hose. You car will suck oil through the pcv valve and into your intake manifold. The pcv is just for emissions. I have a filter on mine to catch the oil before it can get to the intake. I don't need oil mixed with my air and gas.

The fact they even mention it is odd. Maybe a desperate attempt to fluff up their product.

PCV is NOT for emissions, just the routing is.

Properly maintained, a PCV system will make more HP, and keep the engine running better than it would without one.

Might want to try a catch can sometime, just to show you how much oil goes through it. Every single engine on the road with oil in it blows oil into the intake through the PCV!

And Kudos to the previous post that mentioned volatility specs. That's a HUGE factor.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
PCV is NOT for emissions, just the routing is.

Properly maintained, a PCV system will make more HP, and keep the engine running better than it would without one.

Might want to try a catch can sometime, just to show you how much oil goes through it. Every single engine on the road with oil in it blows oil into the intake through the PCV!

And Kudos to the previous post that mentioned volatility specs. That's a HUGE factor.

While the basis for engines to use a PCV system was not entirely about emissions, it has indeed evolved into an emissions component because of how it is routed. Way back when, they used to just vent into the air and on the ground. Its purpose and design for the last 20 or so years has been about both crankcase venting (its original purpose) and about emissions.

Originally Posted By: moosestang
There's nothing fancy about a PCV system. It's a valve or valves on the valve cover that connects to the intake manifold via a hose. You car will suck oil through the pcv valve and into your intake manifold. The pcv is just for emissions. I have a filter on mine to catch the oil before it can get to the intake. I don't need oil mixed with my air and gas.

The fact they even mention it is odd. Maybe a desperate attempt to fluff up their product.

A properly designed and properly baffled valve cover doesn't let much if any oil out. dodge valve covers seem to never be baffled very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back