Oil-and-gas giant Total leaves American Petroleum Institute

I worked for Total for about 15 years. There are many stories.

They tended to do business with just about anyone.

The CEO died in a plane crash after meeting with Putin's people in Russia.

The crash on takeoff was partially credited to alcohol consumption by airport personnel.

Last edited:
There is a Total branded quick oil change place less than 3 km from my home. Never been there, not in the plans for future, but I have no doubt they are just as good or bad as the others. The oil is good, I think Canadian Tire's Motomaster oil is blended and packaged by Total.

Oil-and-gas giant Total said this morning that it's leaving the American Petroleum Institute, which is the industry's most powerful U.S. lobbying group.

Why it matters: It's the biggest rupture yet between European-headquartered multinational oil majors and U.S.-based trade groups over climate policy.

Total, Shell, BP and Equinor have previously left some other trade associations.

What they're saying: France-based Total cited several differences with API.

They noted API is part of a group that opposes electric vehicle subsidies.They also cited differences on carbon pricing and that "API gave its support during the recent elections to candidates who argued against the United States’ participation in the Paris Agreement."

Where it stands: API said the world's energy and environmental challenges benefit from a diversity of views and approaches.

"As a member-driven organization, we do not support subsidizing energy because it distorts the market and ultimately proves harmful to consumers," the group said.The industry is focused on "meaningful action and shaping policy at all levels of government to reduce U.S. emissions and ensure access to affordable and reliable energy," they said.

Editor's note: This story was updated with a response from API.

Throughout history, there is a persistent theme of government intervention ='s negativity. Look at the negative effect government has had on supply and demand. All in the name of....

well all I can say is "ok" since the points of the article become political if discussed and that's against board rules lol

Please don't be a Debbie Downer. This is about oil and how it has a global effect. If it bothers you THAT much you can always not read it and live your life.

The only places that sell the stuff in America are in Puerto Rico as far as I know.
Ocean State oil in RI distributes all over New England and is a wholesale distributor

They used to sell ELF oils previously; I have picked up stuff retail (as in call, walk in with $$ and pick up at warehouse door); not sure if they still do that.

Oil-and-gas giant Total said this morning that it's leaving the American Petroleum Institute, which is the industry's most powerful U.S. lobbying group.

Why it matters: It's the biggest rupture yet between European-headquartered multinational oil majors and U.S.-based trade groups over climate policy.

Total, Shell, BP and Equinor have previously left some other trade associations.

What they're saying: France-based Total cited several differences with API.

They noted API is part of a group that opposes electric vehicle subsidies.They also cited differences on carbon pricing and that "API gave its support during the recent elections to candidates who argued against the United States’ participation in the Paris Agreement."

Where it stands: API said the world's energy and environmental challenges benefit from a diversity of views and approaches.

"As a member-driven organization, we do not support subsidizing energy because it distorts the market and ultimately proves harmful to consumers," the group said.The industry is focused on "meaningful action and shaping policy at all levels of government to reduce U.S. emissions and ensure access to affordable and reliable energy," they said.

Editor's note: This story was updated with a response from API.

I agree with the API, we shouldn't be subsidizing energy, it drives up consumer cost. What has happened is that a lot of these large fossil orgs are the ones building the subsidized projects so they can virtue signal and claim "green" action, so they are OK with these forced market distortions because they benefit twice from them. They get to sell the back-up gas capacity AND reap the profit from the VRE installs, it's a win-win.

Total is one of the seven major oil companies in the world despite the fact that their presence in the US is minimal.
Why I’d be more concerned with Total not following API guidelines on the production and drilling fronts … these include pipeline integrity and well control.

There were Total gas stations around here for quite a while, but not in the recent past.

When I was a teen in Missouri, there were total gas stations pretty common around the area. They sold their own oil which most of us at the time equated it to tech2000 (super tech). Used in the beater cars. Prolly was just as good as any other oil!

Back