Off or On Modem

I put the mark at seven days as to whether to leave it on. When I'm gone a week or more, that appears on my list of things I do before I go.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. Barring losing electricity, these things are normally on years continuously, so a few days is nothing.

If you aren't running any smart devices that need the internet, then yes turn off the modem. I have water sensors and cameras, thermostat etc, so no sense in turning stuff off for me.

The only time I turn off the modem is during a t-storm when I disconnect the coax.

I've never shut one off. Your house doesn't have any smart things?

We have alarm systems, thermostats, and other stuff all connected to wifi.

Modems and other devices attached
can and do get hacked, leaving them off when not in use is prudent .
They can be hacked just as easily while in use too (you won't "see" the attack taking place even if you're actively using the device either).

If you don't have anything using the modem while you are gone, then yes, turn it off. Just a vampire load on electricity for no reason.

If you have smart devices, then leave it on. No smart devices in the house here, so ours gets turned off when we are gone for more than a day or two...

Usually turn it off when not in use for long period of time or lightning storm and disconnect the ethernet cable or phone line for short leaves .

Without knowing what IOT devices the OP has, I'd say leave it. I have a smart thermostat and a smart smoke detector. The whole point of said devices is to let me know when something is wrong WHILE I'M AWAY. Disabling access to the internet would completely defeat the purpose.

Side note, I don't even like internet connected home devices. I've called it at the detector and 'stat. I refuse to have a Google Home, Alexa, Wi-Fi camera's, a Ring doorbell or the like. The world already knows too much about me, and at this point I'm trying to coast with my available information, not paddle aggressively.

They can be hacked just as easily while in use too (you won't "see" the attack taking place even if you're actively using the device either).

Security because of obscurity works best the less you are on and yes obscurity is the main protection online sadly

If you aren't running any smart devices that need the internet, then yes turn off the modem. I have water sensors and cameras, thermostat etc, so no sense in turning stuff off for me.
This.
I have a connected doorbell cam, security cam, alarm, thermostat, and garage door opener.
Mine never gets turned off.
Security because of obscurity works best the less you are on and yes obscurity is the main protection online sadly
So it being on for 27 days vs 31 days makes a measurable difference, don't think so.

Last edited:
Back