Odd engine msg on Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today in 15 minutes of driving no msg but CEL still on.

Drained about 1/2 cup of fuel and basically no water or crud.

Left at a Ford dealer in DE and rented a car to drive to NY.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Today in 15 minutes of driving no msg but CEL still on.

Drained about 1/2 cup of fuel and basically no water or crud.

Left at a Ford dealer in DE and rented a car to drive to NY.

I hope you didn't get bad fuel. Did it (the drained fuel) have any kind of off smell?

Last edited:
Bummer, Donald. Sorry to hear about that. Did the message come on after refueling? Hope you get good news this week.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Gonna be interesting to see what happens when these trucks get out of warranty. End up with 3 year old trucks in the junk yard because it needs a 15,000 dollar exhaust system or something.

Yup. There are two trucks sitting at the local Ford dealer because of fuel pump failure (Bosch), which costs about 10+ grand. Apparently the trucks are still under warranty and the owners are fighting with Ford to cover it.

Obviously most of the trucks won't have this issue, but the ones that do can be nightmares.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Yup. There are two trucks sitting at the local Ford dealer because of fuel pump failure (Bosch), which costs about 10+ grand. Apparently the trucks are still under warranty and the owners are fighting with Ford to cover it.

Obviously most of the trucks won't have this issue, but the ones that do can be nightmares.

Yea and there is likely damage to the injectors and almost the entire fuel system when this happens... Sorry Ford, I sold my 15' and went Cummins this time. Had a Ford tech tell me he would not own one out of warranty due to the high costs of service to these.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Yea and there is likely damage to the injectors and almost the entire fuel system when this happens... Sorry Ford, I sold my 15' and went Cummins this time. Had a Ford tech tell me he would not own one out of warranty due to the high costs of service to these.

The major internal components are supposed to be built pretty well, unlike the 6.0 PowerStroke, but it is the stuff around the engine that plagues the 6.7L. The ceramic turbo bearings, fuel pump, exhaust system problems, all things that cost big bucks on these trucks. Tuning them with some of the "offroad" tunes to get rid of the emissions stuff can also cause other problems due to the changes in timing with many of them. I'm also not very fond of the plastic oil pan on a heavy duty truck.

The exhaust temperature sensor should be under powertrain warranty. While the document I have linked below is in Kilometers, your owner's manual should have the same basic wording.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_01_2014.pdf

Quote:
F-Super Duty Equipped with a 6.7L Diesel Engine Unique Powertrain Coverage
Under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the following components are covered against defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship for 5 years or 160,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first) from the original warranty start date.
Transmission - All internal parts; clutch cover; seals and gaskets; torque converter; transfer case (including internal parts); transmission case; transmission mounts.
Four-Wheel Drive - Axle shafts; front-wheel bearings; rear-wheel bearings; centre support bearing; drive shafts; hubs-automatic front locking; locking rings; seals and gaskets; constant velocity and universal joints.
Rear-Wheel Drive - Axle shafts; front-wheel bearings; rear-wheel bearings; centre support bearing; drive axle housing and all internal parts; drive shaft; propeller shafts; retainers; supports; seals and gaskets; universal and constant velocity joints.
6.7L Diesel Engine Coverage
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers certain Direct Injection Diesel Engine components against defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship for 5 years or 160,000 kilometres (whichever occurs
first) from the original warranty start date.
Covered components: cylinder block, heads and all internal parts, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gear, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan and pump, water pump, fuel system (excluding fuel lines, fuel tank, and frame mounted fuel conditioning module sometimes referred to as the frame mounted pump/filter/water separator or frame mounted fuel filter/water separator), high pressure lines, gaskets and seals, glow plugs, turbocharger, two-stage turbocharger assembly, turbocharger actuator, powertrain
control module, high pressure fuel injection pump assembly, injectors, injection pressure sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor, exhaust back pressure regulator and sensor, exhaust pressure sensor, manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, engine mount
exhaust gas temperature (EGT) sensor, accelerator switch.

Donald, Exhaust temp sensor should be covered. I got a letter on my truck stating they extended the exhaust sensors for 10 years? Mine is a 2014, so maybe different on 2015? Glad is wasn't fuel issues.

It SHOULD be covered, but I'm aware of numerous instances where the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP failed while in warranty, and NO traces of water were present, but Ford denied coverage anyway. Sticking the owners with a 10k+ repair bill.

Maybe this is volvo's post-ownership gift to Ford. Sick volvo turbos throw the exact same error. I've never had it on mine, but I've seen it on a totalled-rebuild test drive and on the forums. For a volvo it can be elusive to track unless you are intimate with the engine.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back