OD Green Glock 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
I think it has gotten to the point with Glock, that the "new" Generations are becoming a sales tool. Many can't sleep without the "latest & greatest".
I am good with my collection of G4's, no G5's in my future, besides I may be one of the oddballs that actually likes the finger grooves. I do like the side finish in the grip area on my G30s as opposed to the G4's but I have become accustomed to it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am good with my collection of G4's, no G5's in my future, besides I may be one of the oddballs that actually likes the finger grooves.

I feel much the same about all of my Gen 3 guns. They do everything I would expect a Glock to do. Never a hiccup in thousands of rounds of all types and shapes of ammo. So none of the so called "improvements" in the Gen 4 models really made enough of a difference for me to want to replace any of them. My latest 17-L is only made in a Gen 3, but if it were available in a Gen 4, I still would have went with a Gen 3, given the choice.

I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with either the Gen 4, or Gen 5 models. Just not enough of a difference for me to encourage another purchase just to have one. I believe that Glock went to shipping the Gen 4 models with 3 magazines, (as opposed to 2 for earlier generations), in order to justify the price increase. Because they did so little to the actual gun itself.

I must say this is a pretty cool looking Gen 4. Something you don't see everyday in a Glock, that's for sure.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=UG1950503SO&index=37&mfg=All&mdl=All&cat=All&type=Pistol%3a+Semi-Auto&cal=9MM&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

I think it has gotten to the point with Glock, that the "new" Generations are becoming a sales tool. Many can't sleep without the "latest & greatest".

For sure

Originally Posted By: Al

For sure

And to be clear, I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with that. Especially involving guns. But aside from the removable plate for slide mounted optics, and some different surface texturing, It's almost the same weapon. And as far as any difference in guide rods, the older generation weapons ran just as good, just as long. And most people who would be concerned about such things, would replace the factory guide rod with an aftermarket model anyway. Not run out and buy a new pistol because it had one.

I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with either the Gen 4, or Gen 5 models. Just not enough of a difference for me to encourage another purchase just to have one. I believe that Glock went to shipping the Gen 4 models with 3 magazines, (as opposed to 2 for earlier generations), in order to justify the price increase. Because they did so little to the actual gun itself.

One could say that the addition of the changeable backstraps, which required a new frame, was a pretty major change for Glock. The SF models got a new frame as well but the difference was pretty subtle. They don't dare do anything to disturb the Glock form factor that everyone either loves or hates.

I am good with my collection of G4's, no G5's in my future, besides I may be one of the oddballs that actually likes the finger grooves. I do like the side finish in the grip area on my G30s as opposed to the G4's but I have become accustomed to it.

I like the finger grooves too. I didn't realize the RTF was an uncommon option. The first time I really paid attention to it was when I was shooting and my hand was all cut up. I have just started wearing gloves whenever I shoot.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I like the finger grooves too. I didn't realize the RTF was an uncommon option. The first time I really paid attention to it was when I was shooting and my hand was all cut up. I have just started wearing gloves whenever I shoot.
I cannot help but wonder if stippling is done on a Gen 3 to make the surface rougher and done on a Gen 4 to make the surface smoother. I have never much cared for stippling, however, the job being done by Wilson Combat these days looks really nice.

I didn't realize the RTF was an uncommon option.
What's "RTF"?
Rough Texture Frame

I didn't realize the RTF was an uncommon option.
What's "RTF"?
Rough Texture Frame

Its hard to see in the picture of both of mine but it is like a really coarse sandpaper finish on the grip.

It's almost the same weapon.

No criticism intended, but every pistol instructor I have had..(a goodly number).. always told us to refer to the pistol as a "Firearm". Went I went up for my Pistol instructor certification I got reamed, lol..so did a couple others and a couple PA carry seminars mentioned it also... They were real emphatic here. Calling it a weapon implies a more aggressive meaning. If you ever shoot someone this is the last word you want to use in a courtroom.

Its a hard habit to break if you are carrying concealed....I know.. a while (28 years here)

Last edited:

No criticism intended, but every pistol instructor I have had..(a goodly number).. always told us to refer to the pistol as a "Firearm". Went I went up for my Pistol instructor certification I got reamed, lol..so did a couple others and a couple PA carry seminars mentioned it also... They were real emphatic here. Calling it a weapon implies a more aggressive meaning. If you ever shoot someone this is the last word you want to use in a courtroom.

Its a hard habit to break if you are carrying concealed....I know.. a while (28 years here)

But a pistol is a weapon. That's a fact there is no getting around. And I've never been good at being politically correct. It's one of the biggest problems our country is faced with. And I want no part of it.

But a pistol is a weapon. That's a fact there is no getting around. And I've never been good at being politically correct. It's one of the biggest problems our country is faced with. And I want no part of it.

100% correct Bill. There's only one reason to carry a pistol around and that's to use as a weapon to defend yourself from bodily harm or death. I recall the instructors at GunSite using the word weapon freely when I got my CCW but that was some time ago, maybe they've modified their vocabulary since. If you'd ever end up in court hopefully you'd be coached. FWIW sidearm probably sounds even less scary than firearm...

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
100% correct Bill. There's only one reason to carry a pistol around and that's to use as a weapon to defend yourself from bodily harm or death. I recall the instructors at GunSite using the word weapon freely when I got my CCW but that was some time ago, maybe they've modified their vocabulary since. If you'd ever end up in court hopefully you'd be coached. FWIW sidearm probably sounds even less scary than firearm...

to each his own..when I teach it is always a "firearm". Nothing to do with political correctness.

Last edited:
to each his own..when I teach it is always a "firearm". Nothing to do with political correctness.
Certainly not "beating you up" as you say to each his own, but I have never heard the phrase "clear your firearm" or "check your firearm", in any training exercise, be it LEO or civilian. From way back in the day, it was clear your weapon, check your weapon, and holster your weapon. Perhaps, the terminology has changed of late though.

Nothing to do with political correctness.

Don't kid yourself. It has everything to do with political correctness. Which is nothing more than the soft posturing of the English language, to mean the exact same thing. All in some silly attempt to be less offensive to a bunch of snowflakes. Or else soften the impact of what you are trying to say. Today it's considered offensive to call someone, "mentally retarded". Even though the definition has been around for over a century. Now, all of a sudden, they are, "thought challenged". Or fat people have suddenly become, "weight challenged". Blacks are no longer referred to as negroes, because you'll be called a racist if you use that term. So now they're called, "people of color", or "African Americans".... Unless there is some other "definition of the week" I have missed.

It's no different with guns. Because in many circles people are offended by the simple discussion of them, because they don't like them to begin with. So they then become political, regardless if you want them to be or not. In response, these politically correct types beat their heads against the wall, trying to come up with some silly, less "offensive" terminology to describe them. All in some half baked attempt, so someone in the room won't leave butt hurt.

So now we have come to the point we have to call weapons, (i.e. guns), a, "personal defense tool", or else a "protection device", or some other silly, stupid term. In order to soften the impact to their pillow like, flower petal mindsets. This country has gone off the rails with this type of ridiculous foolishness. Here is the Merriam / Webster definition of the word "Weapon":

https://www.google.com/search?q=merriam+...600&bih=562

"Definition of weapon for English Language Learners. : something (such as a gun, knife, club, or bomb) that is used for fighting or attacking someone or for defending yourself when someone is attacking you."

That sounds about as accurate as one can get when describing what you do, or did with a gun when trying to save your life with one. So that's what I have used for the last 50+ years, and will continue to use. And while I've never been forced into a courtroom for my use of one, that's what I'll stick with in or out of one. Even though it probably means in todays world, I'll have to bring a copy of my dictionary into the courtroom, if I'm ever required to testify.

From way back in the day, it was clear your weapon, check your weapon, and holster your weapon. Perhaps, the terminology has changed of late though.

My words when I teach are "Make Safe" ... quick and to the point. That's how I have been taught.

From way back in the day, it was clear your weapon, check your weapon, and holster your weapon. Perhaps, the terminology has changed of late though.

My words when I teach are "Make Safe" ... quick and to the point. That's how I have been taught.
These were examples and not to meant to be an "order of operations". In any event, whatever works for you is the way to go
smile.gif

When I took my NRA RSO class, we had some Marines taking the class as well. The Marines referred to every gun as a "weapon" and the instructor said that the NRA prefers the term "firearm" when dealing with civilians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back