My 3rd Ever Glock

Over the weekend I sold (2) more NOT NEEDED 9mm's. And, today I bought my 3rd ever Glock. I couldn't pass it up. The deal and price was just too good ($379.99).
It's a LE trade in Gen 4 G22. It comes with the box, 3-15 rd. magazines, night sights, 4 backstraps, and other accessories.
I had owned a NIB Gen 4 G17 for about 2 weeks and sold it. I actually made $25 on it. But I forgot what the finish was like on the Gen 4's. Some say it's the frying pan finish. And some say the Gen 4's finish scratches very easily. Is this true?
When she comes in, I will take pics. I wonder how long I will own this one before she gets sold?

The best shooting Glock I've owned was a Gen 3 LE G23. It showed a bit of holster wear and had been shot enough that it just ran smooth. I never could shoot my G19 as well. Of course I sold it.

Never realized there are he and she firearms. ;)
Yeah, any firearm that's NOT a 9mm is considered a she. Ever since the FBI bandwagon decided to go to the 9mm I had to get rid of some dead weight. When I get down to 2-3 I think I will have enough then. :rolleyes:

My duty weapon is a G4 G17, I'll have to look at it and see how its finish compares to my personal G3's Can't say I've paid a ton of attention to it since we were issued them a few years back.

I know I have at least 2 different finishes on my G3's. My G22 is the slick finish, but my G27 is the dull chalkboard-like finish. They all seem to hold up about the same last I looked.

My duty weapon is a G4 G17, I'll have to look at it and see how its finish compares to my personal G3's Can't say I've paid a ton of attention to it since we were issued them a few years back.

I know I have at least 2 different finishes on my G3's. My G22 is the slick finish, but my G27 is the dull chalkboard-like finish. They all seem to hold up about the same last I looked.

The Department should update you! I have not seen an Officer with a Gen 4 or older in many years, and I live out in the forest! The Gen 5's are pretty nice.

The Gen 3 has the more durable Tenifer salt bath process, slightly more sheen, but they stopped that in about 2010/11, now the Gen 3/4's have Nitride. The new Gen 5's have Nitride with a "Diamond Like Carbon" Finish, they call it “nDLC”.

I would not worry about a little wear and tear on a police trade in, I think that's why people buy them. Right?

I have just noticed they have a G 5-21 due out soon, the G 5-22/23's are in the glass case for sale around here and has been for some time.

Wasn't that many years ago we carried personal weapons, but then they standardized on the G19/G17. Personally, I prefer the finger grips, which is why all of my personal ones are G3's. We're not exactly rural, but I'd rather they spend money on other things, not that I have a say in the matter. Don't think swapping out perfectly good G4's for G5's makes a lot of sense.

Used to be amusing, of course, you have to qualify with every weapon you carry, so I'd shoot the course 4 times, mainly just for giggles as I'd never carry my G27 as a primary, but it was free ammo and shooting and they couldn't tell you 'no', if you wanted to qualify with it, have at it. So I'd qual with G27, G23, G22, and G35. Only ever really carried the G22 though.

The Department should update you! I have not seen an Officer with a Gen 4 or older in many years, and I live out in the forest! The Gen 5's are pretty nice.

The Gen 3 has the more durable Tenifer salt bath process, slightly more sheen, but they stopped that in about 2010/11, now the Gen 3/4's have Nitride. The new Gen 5's have Nitride with a "Diamond Like Carbon" Finish, they call it “nDLC”.

I would not worry about a little wear and tear on a police trade in, I think that's why people buy them. Right?

I have just noticed they have a G 5-21 due out soon, the G 5-22/23's are in the glass case for sale around here and has been for some time.

Nothing at all wrong with a Gen 4 Glock. Lots of departments still carry Gen 4's in my area. As a certified Glock armorer I have yet to see anything on our department weapons that can't be fixed by myself or one of the other armorers. I am issued a Gen 4 G21 as a duty pistol and carry it daily....probably 10 years or so. The exterior finish on our G21's is duller and not as smooth as my Gen 3's and Gen 5's but the steel remains corrosion resistant.

Wasn't that many years ago we carried personal weapons, but then they standardized on the G19/G17. Personally, I prefer the finger grips, which is why all of my personal ones are G3's. We're not exactly rural, but I'd rather they spend money on other things, not that I have a say in the matter. Don't think swapping out perfectly good G4's for G5's makes a lot of sense.

Used to be amusing, of course, you have to qualify with every weapon you carry, so I'd shoot the course 4 times, mainly just for giggles as I'd never carry my G27 as a primary, but it was free ammo and shooting and they couldn't tell you 'no', if you wanted to qualify with it, have at it. So I'd qual with G27, G23, G22, and G35. Only ever really carried the G22 though.
Which ammo is your EDC on duty?

My Glocks are Gen 3. Never saw a reason to trade in or upgrade…or sell…

Police trade ins can be a great buy. Generally, they have a bit of finish wear from being holstered and carried, but a low round count.

Years ago, I bought a police trade in S&W 5906. Lots of scratches and a few gouges on the synthetic grip, quite a few shiny spots on the stainless frame from being worn in a holster. Very little wear on the barrel hood, showing a low round count.

It was inexpensive, and a great value.

I have been watching videos on the Gen 4's finish. Those that have the early made Gen 4 with the Tenifer finish say it's better than the Gen 4 latter finish, which is a chalkboard finish. I hope the one I'm getting has the Tenifer finish.

....... But I forgot what the finish was like on the Gen 4's. Some say it's the frying pan finish. And some say the Gen 4's finish scratches very easily. Is this true?
The absolute best finish Glock ever had, or ever will have, was the Austrian applied Tenifer finish. It had a nice sheen and color to it, good natural lubricity, was extremely hard, and it was virtually indestructible. Not to mention, you had to all but try to come up with a way to make a part rust that was treated with it.

Tenifer is somewhat similar to the Melonite process, but requires different chemicals and application procedures and temperatures. While many claim they are the same , they are not. Tenifer is superior in most every way.

The reason Glock changed the finish, was because the EPA has very stringent, costly requirements on the disposal of the chemicals used in Tenifer's application. Which makes it expensive to the point of becoming cost prohibitive to apply it here. It's not "banned" here as some have said. Just made to be very costly, because of government regulations regarding it's chemicals.

And it became cost prohibitive, along with creating logistical issues, for Glock to have the parts treated with Tenifer in Austria, (where the EPA has no authority, and where the process is very common), then shipped here for assembly into finished pistols at their New Smyrna, Georgia facility.

So Glock went to a type of Melonite finish similar to Springfield Armory's Melonite finish that they apply to their XD series of handguns. This is the finish that Glock uses today. It has a different color, (more of an ash grey), and has less sheen to it. While it can be deemed as satisfactory, many, including myself, believe it's not as durable, and more prone to rusting issues.

Simply put, Austrian manufactured, (Gen 1, 2, and 3), Tenifer treated Glocks have what many consider to be the best finish ever applied to a modern service pistol.

billt460, in the link below is the Gen 3 G21 I bought almost 2 years ago. It had the Tenifer finish everyone wants on a Glock. I called Glock and they said the manufacture date on it was February 1999. It was bought/issued April 1999 to a West Covina, CA. LEO. That gun barely had any wear on it. The LEO that owned it must have had a desk job. I paid $339 and sold it for $800. Yes, that's CORRECT, $800!
Also, the Gen 4 G17 I bought in 2014 (?) had this Tenifer finish as well. I sure hope the Gen 4 G22 that I ordered has the same finish. And I am NOT selling it! This one will be a keeper. ;)

If I want to do a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel in my G22, can the G22 magazines be used for the 9mm ammo?
I read online that some people are doing it.

If I want to do a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel in my G22, can the G22 magazines be used for the 9mm ammo?
they don't work well when filled up . g17 mags are so cheap, especially magpuls why use the 40 ones. you can get a good cheap conversion barrel at aimsurplus

billt460, in the link below is the Gen 3 G21 I bought almost 2 years ago. It had the Tenifer finish everyone wants on a Glock. I called Glock and they said the manufacture date on it was February 1999. It was bought/issued April 1999 to a West Covina, CA. LEO. That gun barely had any wear on it. The LEO that owned it must have had a desk job. I paid $339 and sold it for $800. Yes, that's CORRECT, $800!
Also, the Gen 4 G17 I bought in 2014 (?) had this Tenifer finish as well. I sure hope the Gen 4 G22 that I ordered has the same finish. And I am NOT selling it! This one will be a keeper. ;)

Hang on to that sucker!

I have two conversion barrels but have never tried to use my .40 mags. I just went and bought 9mm ones from the rip. That way they stay separate. I certainly wouldn't ever carry a conversion though, I mainly just have it because it is fun to shoot 9mm and back in the day, a lot cheaper for just messing around. Also good for newer shooters that snappy .40 loads might scare off.

I also haven't had any functioning problems shooting the 9mm out of the .40's but I do know of some people who have extraction problems at times. The extractor and ejector are just on the edge of being able to do their jobs with 9mm, so if yours end up being on the loose side of tolerance, then you might have some extraction/ejection problems.
Which ammo is your EDC on duty?
Federal Tactical HST I believe.

Last edited:
Back