OCI using castrol edge vs mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Castrol should be the equal of the Mobil.
Mobil has a much better website than does Castrol, but I suspect that's the primary difference between the two.
Both are the top tier motor oil offerings of huge integrated producers.
Incidentally, TGMO is nothing special and is a Grp III product inferior to any M1 0W-20 offering.
There were a couple of strong TGMO proponents who once posted here, both of whom are now apparently gone having grown weary of defending their preferences against reality.
Anyway, I myself would not hesitate to use this Edge just as I would M1. I'm not too sure about the Idemitsu you have. If you bought it at AAP during their clearance, then it's made in Indiana plonk and okay but nothing great.
I'd use it, of course, since you have it on hand but the Edge might well be the better oil as compared to it.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
No Tundra with a 5.7 motor has ever left the factory with conventional oil. It was/is a full synthetic 0w20. When you went to the dealer is when something other than a full synthetic went into your motor.

I don't know how the dealer gets away with it, manual states full synthetic for my rav4 and tundra, but it's a blend at the dealer. This is what two dealerships have told me.

that's what I was afraid of. I had heard that dealers use bulk oil which fits most cars. I know in my very old Tacoma I had asked the dealer couple of times not to use synthetic blend (car burns significantly more oil with synthetic blend and not much with conventional) and they kept doing it and later found out they have few bulk oil to match most serviced cars ... anyways that's why I like to change the oil myself now!

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I'm sorry sir but you are incorrect concerning the 5.7 and conventional oil. In 2011( and I'd guess earlier years too) the 5.7L Tundra did come with conventional 5w-20 engine oil. Below is a picture of the maintenance guide for my truck. If you notice the top of the book says, "Schedule A-5.7L Engines" and down on the bottom of the page it says, "Non-Synthetic Engine Oil".

The new(er) cars come from factory with 0W-20 synthetic. I had a sticker on mine indicating that!
not sure if the engines have changed (tolerances, etc.) or is it for fuel economy (CAFE) ...
car manual also says use 0W-20. I don't think conventional version of 0W-20 is available but I could be wrong!

Originally Posted By: OilUzer
No Tundra with a 5.7 motor has ever left the factory with conventional oil. It was/is a full synthetic 0w20. When you went to the dealer is when something other than a full synthetic went into your motor.

I don't know how the dealer gets away with it, manual states full synthetic for my rav4 and tundra, but it's a blend at the dealer. This is what two dealerships have told me.

that's what I was afraid of. I had heard that dealers use bulk oil which fits most cars. I know in my very old Tacoma I had asked the dealer couple of times not to use synthetic blend (car burns significantly more oil with synthetic blend and not much with conventional) and they kept doing it and later found out they have few bulk oil to match most serviced cars ... anyways that's why I like to change the oil myself now!

I'm sorry sir but you are incorrect concerning the 5.7 and conventional oil. In 2011( and I'd guess earlier years too) the 5.7L Tundra did come with conventional 5w-20 engine oil. Below is a picture of the maintenance guide for my truck. If you notice the top of the book says, "Schedule A-5.7L Engines" and down on the bottom of the page it says, "Non-Synthetic Engine Oil".

The new(er) cars come from factory with 0W-20 synthetic. I had a sticker on mine indicating that!
not sure if the engines have changed (tolerances, etc.) or is it for fuel economy (CAFE) ...
car manual also says use 0W-20. I don't think conventional version of 0W-20 is available but I could be wrong!

Yeah, I seem to remember 2012 being the year that the 5.7L Tundra's went from 5w-20 conventional to 0w-20 synthetic. Seem to remember reading that on a couple of the Tundra forums. FWIW, I doubt very seriously any tolerances or changes were made but if you are under warranty, you better follow what the manufacturer says. I'll also add that my oil cap lists 5w-20 and 0w-20 as acceptable. On a side note, I know a couple people with 5.7L Tundra's that are running 5w-30 synthetic without any harmful effects thus far. As for me, I don't do any heavy towing on a regular basis so I plan to stay with a 5w20 synthetic.

Yeah, I seem to remember 2012 being the year that the 5.7L Tundra's went from 5w-20 conventional to 0w-20 synthetic. Seem to remember reading that on a couple of the Tundra forums. FWIW, I doubt very seriously any tolerances or changes were made but if you are under warranty, you better follow what the manufacturer says. I'll also add that my oil cap lists 5w-20 and 0w-20 as acceptable. On a side note, I know a couple people with 5.7L Tundra's that are running 5w-30 synthetic without any harmful effects thus far. As for me, I don't do any heavy towing on a regular basis so I plan to stay with a 5w20 synthetic.

No way, I am going to have to go get my 2007 manual. All the 5.7's use/were shipped with 0w20 oil. Here is a cut and paste for a 5.7. Remember, the 0w20 is used for cafe reasons and mpg testing. It says 5w20 can be used, but must immediatley go back to full syn 0w20 the next change. Problem is, going to a dealer you are on 5w20 for life.

9-1. Specifications
■ Engine oil selection
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota
approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy
the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice
for good fuel economy and
good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.
However, it must be replaced
with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
change.

No way, I am going to have to go get my 2007 manual. All the 5.7's use/were shipped with 0w20 oil. Here is a cut and paste for a 5.7. Remember, the 0w20 is used for cafe reasons and mpg testing. It says 5w20 can be used, but must immediatley go back to full syn 0w20 the next change. Problem is, going to a dealer you are on 5w20 for life.

9-1. Specifications
■ Engine oil selection
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota
approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy
the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice
for good fuel economy and
good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.
However, it must be replaced
with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
change.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here but the Tundra maintenance log plainly states the 5.7L engine is to follow the non synthetic maintenance schedule. This can plainly be seen from the picture of my Toyota Tundra maintenance log I posted a couple of posts back. Why would Toyota factory fill the 5.7L with synthetic oil(0w-20) and then have you follow the non synthetic oil schedule?

Furthermore, on page 659 of the Tundra owners manual it plainly shows 5w-20 or 0w-20 may be used. It even lists 5w-20 first. 0w-20 is only used for fuel economy and cold weather starting. It also states that you can run heavier than a 20 weight oil for high speeds or extreme loads.

Anyway, I did not run an oil analysis on the oil when the truck was new, so for all I know it could have had 0w-20 in it or 10w-30. I do know the 2011 5.7L Tundra does not require a 0w-20 oil nor does it require a synthetic oil to be run. Another picture of the Toyota manual:

huf4yv6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back