OCI for my Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what you guys think about an OCI for my Jeep. Running PP with a Fram Ultra. It's got the 4.7 V-8 that holds 6 qts. It used zero make up oil in the last 4,000 miles. Was still clear amber looking when I changed it today. Could hardly see it on the dipstick. Last oil change was done by the previous owner. Recommended factory OCI is 6,000 miles. My driving is 95% freeway 5% city. 60 miles round trip to work. Will be driven to the desert from time to time over the winter.

Sounds like yours is very clean and has been taken care of. With all that highway driving you could probably do 10k with that combo.

Since you are doing 4k OCI's now you could try 7,500 as suggested would be a nice compromise.

Yeah the only reason I changed it at 4k was I wasn't real clear on what the PO had used. He gave me record of all the oil changes since new but some of the notes are vague. I couldn't stand it any longer not dropping the oil. This engine seems to be real easy on oil though by how clean it was.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
4k miles and clear oil, I guess that's a good thing?
That or the oil that was in it had zero cleaning ability. This Jeep has had 3,000 mile OCIs it's whole life. It's real clean inside and out.

I'd guess that clean oil with PP most certainly is a good thing as that's PPs known skill.Pennzoil +PP= a happy engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
PP, Fram Ultra, 95% highway, and a 6k factory OCI using (presumably) conventional oil available in 1999? 10k, easy.

+1

My cherokee had a factory recommended oci of 7500. With synthetic and an ultra I would do 10k and 2oci per fci

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
PP, Fram Ultra, 95% highway, and a 6k factory OCI using (presumably) conventional oil available in 1999? 10k, easy.

+1

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
7500 miles and do a UOA.

Exactly what I was just about to post. With at least one good run with TBN you will get an idea of if you have ran far enough or not. My guess will be you have TBN to spare but it's nice to get a snapshot too because if you have any unusual issues like intake or cooling leaks longer runs equal higher wear so a quick check goes along way. I found intake leaks in my search to run long uoas so now I just run whatever I get ahold of short runs

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
7500 miles and do a UOA.
I think this is the route I will take. Seems like the logical thing to do. Thanks to all that replied.

If that Jeep saw only 3000 mile change intervals I bet the oil at 4000 would be pretty doggone clean too.
smile.gif

Glad it's been taken very well for you. Sounds like an awesome find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back