Obsolete Freeway on ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
biddo_zps8lzj0zc8.png

Maine Turnpike is 75 years old and has some old rights-of-way if you know where too look. This, the Biddeford exit, used to have a tighter 270 degree twist. They likely got rid of it when they put a new overpass in during a widening project in the late 1990s.

I can't think of any "bad" exits; they're all over-engineered in a conspiracy to fritter away toll money on anything dreamable.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
That sounds like the Taconic parkway that runs from NYC to Albany, narrow lanes with tiny on ramps and poor visibility. Fun to speed on though...

The Taconic isn't that bad, really. It's fun and it flows relatively well. You may be thinking of the Saw Mill Parkway which is like a 150-year-old horse path they paved over. It's narrow and fast with no shoulder, just guardrails, curbs and drainage grates, and amazingly short off/on ramps, but people drive VERY fast on it. It's like a roller coaster, the Action Park of highways. I haven't been on it in more than 15 years since I lived in the area and I miss it dearly. The people I share the roads with here in the DC area wouldn't be able to handle it.

I'm sure eventually it'll get rebuilt or bypassed completely someday. I just hope I'm able to drive on it again in a capable car before that happens.

I agree! The sawmill is like the taconic but tighter and faster! I have only driven on it once about 5 years ago and the wife was yelling at me the whole time.....

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
That sounds like the Taconic parkway that runs from NYC to Albany, narrow lanes with tiny on ramps and poor visibility. Fun to speed on though...

The Taconic isn't that bad, really. It's fun and it flows relatively well. You may be thinking of the Saw Mill Parkway which is like a 150-year-old horse path they paved over. It's narrow and fast with no shoulder, just guardrails, curbs and drainage grates, and amazingly short off/on ramps, but people drive VERY fast on it. It's like a roller coaster, the Action Park of highways. I haven't been on it in more than 15 years since I lived in the area and I miss it dearly. The people I share the roads with here in the DC area wouldn't be able to handle it.

I'm sure eventually it'll get rebuilt or bypassed completely someday. I just hope I'm able to drive on it again in a capable car before that happens.

I agree! The sawmill is like the taconic but tighter and faster! I have only driven on it once about 5 years ago and the wife was yelling at me the whole time.....

My father recommended me to take the Sawmill years ago, so I did. At like 5am. I was enjoying it immensely--then nearly blew through a red light as I was confused by such a thing on a highway. I'm a bit smarter going through there these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back