Faulty Motorad Thermostat 281180

I put in a MOTORAD 281180 in my 00 Toyota Celica GTS 6mt last year, and now after 1 yr and 3k miles, it's doing the same thing as mentioned from this earlier thread 13 years ago by another user. Now it's colder, I went on a 26 mile all highway drive and it never got past 3/4 on the way to full op temp. It only reached it at the end, when I was in a bit of traffic on the exit ramp. Should have just bought the Aisin JP made one from the jump, was only $15 difference (but then would have had to wait a few days rather than going to the store)

Just putting this out there if someone does a search to confirm for future you to avoid avoid avoid motorad tstats.

They dont work as advertised ...... just theory . My car ran 20 - 25 degrees cooler than they should have .

Motorad aftermarket thermostats are garbage. We will only use OE stats
Unfortunately motorad is pretty much the only option for American cars now since they took over Stant and killed off that brand. I went to the Jeep dealer for a thermostat for my jeep. Dude came back from the parts room with a motorad. I said no thanks and found a Stant on eBay.

While Stant may not be the best they are generally much better than a motorad.

Unfortunately motorad is pretty much the only option for American cars now since they took over Stant and killed off that brand. I went to the Jeep dealer for a thermostat for my jeep. Dude came back from the parts room with a motorad. I said no thanks and found a Stant on eBay.

The chrysler OE stats that are made for Chrysler by Motorad to Chryslers specs actually work unlike the parts store stats.

OE or Facet only. The Aisin thermostat for your Celica is only $14 on Rock Auto.

Rock Auto now carries Calorstat. However, I don't know whether they're actually good parts, or just generic garbage like Motorad :cautious:

Do the 1ZZ and 2ZZ use the same thermostat? :unsure:

Did you ever get that Facet thermostat?

Last couple of t-stats I replaced with Facet. Italian brand, work well. Zero problems.

This. Facet is your best option when OE is not available.

The chrysler OE stats that are made for Chrysler by Motorad to Chryslers specs actually work unlike the parts store stats.

For many older cars, so-called "OEM" parts from the dealer are often reboxed aftermarket :sneaky:

Chris142's thermostat, Nissan's Value Advantage, ACDelco Silver/Advantage, etc.

Local dealers can be a letdown
Glad you found something that works

Bought a motorad radiator cap, the rubber seal was missing. Didn't notice until I installed it and found much less resistance, LOL.

I bought my brother the LAST 180F Stant Superstat that RA had for his old beater ‘01 Accord 2.3 since he was having heat issues & not getting up to full temp (on a sub-1 YO Motorad). It should be illegal for junk manufacturers to buy a better brand & kill it!

I put in a MOTORAD 281180 in my 00 Toyota Celica GTS 6mt last year, and now after 1 yr and 3k miles, it's doing the same thing as mentioned from this earlier thread 13 years ago by another user. Now it's colder, I went on a 26 mile all highway drive and it never got past 3/4 on the way to full op temp. It only reached it at the end, when I was in a bit of traffic on the exit ramp. Should have just bought the Aisin JP made one from the jump, was only $15 difference (but then would have had to wait a few days rather than going to the store)

Just putting this out there if someone does a search to confirm for future you to avoid avoid avoid motorad tstats.

I as well had a faulty motorad. The Stant pro line were great, heavy duty and long lasting. I doubt my current motorad will last a year or more. They bought out the USA made stant line.

Back