Observation about C-T 'Autolab' oil certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a long time, the very basic oil Canadian Tire Sells in Canada has been 'Autolab'. It's sold in a very basic black container, with a very drab, 1970's-looking label. It comes only in 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades for cars (there is also a 15W-40 diesel version).

On the back, even during the period of SM/GF-4 oils, it was marked as 'API SL', and nothing else - no mention of GF-4, and no 'energy conserving' properties. It appeared that to keep it at a price point, it was a very basic oil.

With the surge in oil prices, Autolab went up, too - from $1.98/quart to $3.39/quart pretty well overnight. I figured this was quite a rip-off, as it met so little in the way of specs.

I was in CT today, getting tires done, and was reading oil bottles (waht did you THINK I was doing? :p) Looked at the back of a bottle of Autolab, and it is not a full API SM/GF-4 Energy Conserving oil. I guess this is good, as it makes it a better product, But why would they finally get this oil to meet SM/GF-4, when SN/GF-5 is just around the corner?

Anyway, wondered that, and thought Canadioan Bitoger's would find it interesting.

Cheers.

Well, I read the Ottawa Sun, and Ottawa Metro at a McD's across the street before going back to get my car, so it was time for some 'fun' reading....LOL!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
and it is not a full API SM/GF-4 Energy Conserving oil. I guess this is good, as it makes it a better product, But why would they finally get this oil to meet SM/GF-4, when SN/GF-5 is just around the corner?

uh am I missing something?

Do we have any info on this oil (producer, specs, add pack, ect...)? It does go on sale for very cheap from time to time. I have steered away from this oil for as long as I can remember. In the past I always used the No-Name brand when I heard it was an Esso product. I guess I could do a search too, lol!

Originally Posted By: Rand
and it is not a full API SM/GF-4 Energy Conserving oil. I guess this is good, as it makes it a better product, But why would they finally get this oil to meet SM/GF-4, when SN/GF-5 is just around the corner?

D'oh! I meant to say it IS a full SM/GF-4 oil now, whereas before it WASN'T...LOL!

As for producer, it is made by Shell - all CT-branded oils are.

D'oh! I meant to say it IS a full SM/GF-4 oil now, whereas before it WASN'T...LOL!

Are you sure? Not about the 'all CT Branded oils made by Shell' part. This does seem true of any of the 'branded' oils lke Formula 1 or Motomaster or the typical Cdn Tire house brands.

The Autolab product may be exclusive to CDN Tire but I don't think they would characterize it as a proprietary brand. I was always under the impression that Autolab was a re-refined product made by Safety Kleen.

Originally Posted By: peterr

Are you sure? Not about the 'all CT Branded oils made by Shell' part. This does seem true of any of the 'branded' oils lke Formula 1 or Motomaster or the typical Cdn Tire house brands.

The Autolab product may be exclusive to CDN Tire but I don't think they would characterize it as a proprietary brand. I was always under the impression that Autolab was a re-refined product made by Safety Kleen.

It's all Shell.... http://msds.canadiantire.ca/OpenRepositoryFile.asp?s=89429&v=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back