OBDeleven vs Carista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for something for my personal vehicles, I do a lot of side jobs and generally for engine repairs my Torque app and bluetooth dongle have served me well and the occasional borrowing of a friends expensive snap on scanner for more in depth things.

I've got a 2013 Q5 and am mainly looking for something for electronic parking brake service, trans temp for when I change the fluid and resetting the service interval as service and OCI are the same interval yet OCI can be done with my MMI and service due needs to be done with dealer tool or VCDS.

Carista looks like its yearly or weekly subscription based and OBDeleven is credit based, does anyone have any experience with either and could point me in the right direction? Don't really want to pay a fee for a weeks worth of use to do my rear brakes or every oil change.

Buy VCDS.

It is the most useful tool and becomes the cheapest - when you no longer need it you can sell the cable for most of your money. They don't really depreciate.

Buddy has a hex can cable a phone call away which is why I'm hesitant on buying vcds since I'll only need it for in-depth stuff and figured carista or obdeleven would fill that void out laying the least amount of cash. Don't really like how they have limited vins now, if the hex can cables were still out there this would be a non issue.

Originally Posted by seanf
Buddy has a hex can cable a phone call away which is why I'm hesitant on buying vcds since I'll only need it for in-depth stuff and figured carista or obdeleven would fill that void out laying the least amount of cash. Don't really like how they have limited vins now, if the hex can cables were still out there this would be a non issue.

Buy a used cable on VWVortex.

I did, for $200. Sold it two years later for $225.

I got the OBDeleven Pro last christmas and love it. Ive used it to turn on several options such as auto high beams that were not "on my trim level" which is the Season of Audi edition, which is basically the base model "Premium" with virtual cockpit, sline trim and a few other things. I have used it to do my DSG service ( on the 2017+ 7 speed DSG there is no filter to change but there is something called a "pressure accumulator" its like a bottle within the transmission that a pump fills with fluid under pressure to keep the mechatronics valves supplied with fluid for multiple fast shifts, and this pressure accumulator must be emptied or you will not be able to get the full 3.5 liters out that you should)
My Android phone has the app on it and it bluetooths to the dongle and all information is saved on the phone. Nice set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back