O ring safe cleaner

I used this to clean my Polaris and ford ECM (or similar) connections

When I sent to plug them back in, the o ring type seal was swollen and could no longer work properly.

Also happened with a carb and intake o ring.

CRC says this cleaner is safe and wouldn’t do that.

Well it did.

What is safe to clean in situations like this?
image.jpg

Says it's safe for electronics and plastic. No mention of rubber which often can deteriorate under chemical cleaners. Probably should have removed the oring before cleaning

You can’t. If you look very closely you can see the orange seal. This is the type i am talking about.
392EBB8C-9211-4AE8-B5C2-D351B529B497.jpeg

Last edited:
IDK what you could do with that. I'd assume a squirt bottle full of isopropyl couldn't hurt, and would probably do the trick on connectors. I've used brake cleaner on fuel injector O-rings, TB seals, many other dirty O-rings before without issue. I've used the same exact cleaner on the same exact type of ECU connector before and never had a problem with the rings sealing again before.

Hell, on the FRIGGIN CAN is an image of a connector with a dam SEAL ON IT!

I'm almost wondering if they sent out a bad batch of cleaner, because if brake cleaner didn't damage my seals, I would never guess a can of cleaner literally meant for that exact application would.

Brake cleaner varies quite a bit. Chlorinated will smear and cloud many plastics (esp my acrylic deck cover when spraying wasps -- learned the hard way).

Non-chlor does tend to be primarily acetone (I'm told) and generally appears more mild. However some non-chlor's work way better than others so I dunno what the difference is. And the 50 state stuff....ya might as well use water and harsh language -- it's more effective

Also MAF cleaner is supposedly pretty gentle?

OP, I'd contact CRC and see what they say about your experience here.

Also MAF cleaner is supposedly pretty gentle?

OP, I'd contact CRC and see what they say about your experience here.

I contacted them via email and they said no way. Must be the crappy seals.
I asked “all of them? Like five from different brands?” Never heard back

CRC Customer Service: I just hung up on a guy complaining about connector seal swell.
CRC Management: Quick! Change the connector on the can!
Marketing Department: We're on it!

20220227_190133.jpg

The label reads "plastic" safe. No mention of connector seal compatibility. Serious oversight.

I was going to recommend Deoxit but that contains the same Naptha as CRC.

The rule of thumb appears to be to remove the seals before using any kind of cleaner.

I was going to recommend Deoxit but that contains the same Naptha as CRC.

The rule of thumb appears to be to remove the seals before using any kind of cleaner.

Look at the pic I posted. Those are not removable as far as I know. Don’t see how to replace them.

Back