Not going to upgrade to Windows 10 even if free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
So getting windows 10 after the service pack is better?

Historically, the service packs that MS rolled out included a lot of stability/usability improvements. One can only hope it'll be the same with W10 service pack.
smile.gif

From what Ive read win 10 wasn't as much about more features but faster performance and advancing user dependency onto the envisioned future. The slowness is probably all the integration services running to bring their vision to life.

My only advice is when doing install do NOT do the "express setup". You'll be able to toggle OFF all the spywares ...err cool features of win 10 that also slows it down.

You do all know what they have in store for you at the end of this road right? The OS will cloud load on a subscription. Apps will be be the same story. Hardware will be mostly irrelevant. The sales pitch will be that if you get a virus you just "Reboot" and a fresh virus free load will occur. It will be really inexpensive but everything you do will be under their microscope ...oh and the Nonsense Sales Association will be watching too. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Driz
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I am not upgrading either. I have used 10 a bit on a couple computers that are not mine, and was not impressed at all. From my limited experience, it is slower than Windows 8.1 on both computers I have seen (both were upgraded from 8.1). I am keeping 7 on my netbook, and 8.1 on my laptop.

Same here. My win8 was so bad I put it away and nuked my ancient beat win 7 and use that. It's slow but a lot more stable than 8 and the cursor jump problem hp won't acknowledge was oh so much worse with the new one, With the way I keep computers my next one will likely be apple and just bite the bullet ditching windows. Just too many issues with no answers to be found. Microsofts batting average went downhill after XP.

Dude, it will run better then the old OSs and use less resources. I went from 8.1 to 10, thing is amazing. Also, they ancient computers are great at running the OS from the beginning and as they age they fallout more in the performance cat. Biggest issues, I have had in just drivers, being a little wonky.

I am using:
AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 Compute Cores
XFX Radeon R9 380 R9-380P Soon to be installed, using an old 5550
500 Corsair SSD

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I thankfully don't have automatic recommended updates, so that isn't an issue for me.

Mine install when I want or at night, when I am sleeping.

New Windows 10 options and features may be very practical on one hand and intrusive on the other hand, depending on your attitude to it. For example, with the new feature “Wi-Fi Sense” you can automatically share your Wi-Fi password with your social network contacts (Facebook, Skype, Outlook). It may be really useful when your friends visit you and need your password. Another good example is OneDrive cloud storage system of Microsoft, which doesn’t need additional installations and can be used from any Microsoft devices. But the hidden rocks are that every time you sign in with your account, Windows 10 will sync all your personal data, settings, browser history and even Wi-Fi passwords to their servers. To sum up, Win 10 is useful for sluggards, who never waste their time on reading terms and policies and don’t want to mess with all these “enable/disable” buttons. But if you do care about your privacy and want to protect yourself, be more attentive and demanding to what you install.

Installed W10 on my desktop that uses WiFi for internet. WiFi became much slower and my volume knob on the keyboard died. Unhappy. Refreshed drivers. Loaded super old drivers. No improvement. Downgraded back to 7. WiFi fast again but my volume knob still dead.

No thanks. I'll use W10 on a new computer when this one is no longer practical to use.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Anyone who has a legit license for Windows 7 or 8 gets a free upgrade to 10 until I think July 2016.

I wonder why it is, a company not noted for their generosity is suddenly giving expensive "upgrades" away?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Anyone who has a legit license for Windows 7 or 8 gets a free upgrade to 10 until I think July 2016.

I wonder why it is, a company not noted for their generosity is suddenly giving expensive "upgrades" away?

Money to be made by the offering of Microsoft.

They figured out they can make more money with advertisements and selling our info.

not to mention selling useless,annoying trinkets/apps.
the free is just to suck you into their ecosystem.all set to nickle and dime you.
Originally Posted By: asand1

They figured out they can make more money with advertisements and selling our info.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
not to mention selling useless,annoying trinkets/apps.
the free is just to suck you into their ecosystem.all set to nickle and dime you.
Originally Posted By: asand1

Makes me glad I dumped them a couple of years ago.

Of course, it's all about money. Do you still beleive there is something any company will offer to you for free, without making profit? Microsoft harvests our sensitive personal data to "better" serve us via Cortana, annoying ads based on our internet searches, or just selling our private info for unknown purposes.

"If it's free, you're the product."

Can't remember to whom that's generally attributed, but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back