Non-detergent oil recommended for Generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"If it last half as long as the Honda I will be thrilled"

You can find the answer to that question right on the engine inself. The EPA rates engine emission control information and lifespan right on the sticker. The engine's condition is the leading factor in how long the engine will remain EPA compliant.

So the following catagories apply: ("A" "extended" 500HR) ("B" "intermediate" 250HR) ("C" "moderate" 125HR) for small engines. Somewhat larger engines extend the hours to 1000, 500, 250 for each rating.

Honda engines typically exceed the extended catagory. Chinese clones typically hover in the moderate catagory.

Conclusion: Chinese clones are EPA rated to last about 25% of a typical Honda.

However, there are a couple of Honda consumer engines that have the lowest rating also (the OHC models on lawn mowers, note: OHV Honda engines all meet the extended catagory)

Chris

Mobil 1 15-50 gives stellar results in Florida generators. Ask me how I know!

I have seen these figures for small engines before, and I am not quite sure just what they mean. Evidently, they just mean how long they are expected to remain emissions compliant. Surely no one would be able to sell an engine with a life expectancy of only 125 hours.

Take that Honda OHC engine which you say is in the lowest rated category. I have one that is mounted on a Craftsman mower which I purchased back in 2000. This engine has been run between 55 and 65 hours a year since then, and still uses no oil between yearly changes. Right now, it has almost 360 hours on it. I have an hour meter on it, so I know how much it is used.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 oil, and it is usually down about 1/16th of an inch in a year's time, which I attribute to regularly pulling the dipstick to check the oil and wiping it off.

What I would like to hear is if anyone has ever heard of one of these engines failing, and, if so, what failed. I wonder about the timing belt, as it is described in Honda literature as being a "lifetime" belt.

Anyway, short of sudden, catastrophic failure of some sort, I am expecting this consumer grade engine to last at least 500 hours instead of the 125 in the lowest category.

I've got a 21 year old 5hp #@$%! Troybilt tiller that I've used 5w-30 in all its life. I took the head off for the first time this spring to clean out the carbon. The cylinder looked fabulous.

No problems here.

As you might have guessed, the internal condition of the engine directly relates to the exhaust and blowby emissions.

I am not here to say that 125 hours is the exact lifespan. It is quite possible to achieve a much longer lifespan.

My point was that the EPA has required the testing be done, and the engines must meet the criteria for a specific length of time. Internal wear is the factor behind a short rating. Is the wear in the valves, rings, cylinder, carburator? All of the above? Obviously, there is a reason for the ratings.

Landscapers like Echo engines. They are rated at 300 hours compliance. In stark contrast, some Homelite stuff is rated at 30-50 hours. Ryobi 50 hours. I hope you see my point that the EPA ratings are a good guide to overall engine lifespan.

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back