No mufflers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best I remember , our annual state inspection requires mufflers ?

When I was a teenager , I liked them loud . Had a pair of burned out glass packs on a 66 Mercury Comet 289 .

Got a warning ticket for excessive noise . Purchased 2 small , additional glass packs . Installed them in back , before the tail pipes exited the rear of the car .

They were cheaper than resonators , which were my first thought .

Originally Posted by 2014_K5_Optima
Lol, I'm not going to pay to put mufflers on if I don't have to. Haven't been stopped yet, I'm not obnoxious with it during sensitive hours. To each their own I suppose.

Time to grow up and act like an adult. This is basically a kid's stunt and either criminal behavior or kid's thinking in that it must be ok if I haven't been caught yet. It's not which is why it's illegal.

Hearing loss is cumulative and you don't get it back.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Its resonance tuning - like organ pipes in church or ported subwoofer boxes.

Open headers make less power than say a header with a necked down 20" collector extension

All true.

Eliminating the muffler can ruin the "tune" of the exhaust system, and cost horsepower/torque.

"backpressure" is a myth.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by AC1DD

How do you know if a neighbor might be sleeping during the day because they are shift workers?
That's plain rude.

I used to have a neighbor who was retired. I'd come home at 6am, grab a bite to eat, and try to lay down at 8am... only for him to keep me awake with his lawnmower and weed wacker for the next 3 hours.

I also had a neighbor do the same.
I approached him politely and asked if we could work out a solution... and we did.

Some people are harsh in here. Some cars are fine without mufflers. In fact some factory cars didn't even have them. It really depends on the car, and if you still have the cats or other resonator installed. If its a turbo car the turbo is already muffling the sound somewhat.

I had a muffler delete (just pipes or tips to replace them) on my 08 Mustang for awhile. The rest of the exhaust system was stock. It had a nice bark on start up, but idled quiet enough. And it was only really loud while getting on it. I ended up with a different set of mufflers for a better sound. At one point with that car I lived at an apartment and 2 people I knew there just said they knew it was time to wake up when I started my car
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by AC1DD

How do you know if a neighbor might be sleeping during the day because they are shift workers?
That's plain rude.

I used to have a neighbor who was retired. I'd come home at 6am, grab a bite to eat, and try to lay down at 8am... only for him to keep me awake with his lawnmower and weed wacker for the next 3 hours.

I also had a neighbor do the same.
I approached him politely and asked if we could work out a solution... and we did.

I tried that. He told me to switch to day shift if I have a problem with it. I moved shortly afterward anyway.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Some people are harsh in here. Some cars are fine without mufflers.

Nope, not the ones that came with mufflers.

You're just making more noise, making everyone put up with it, and thinking that's fine because you personally weren't attacked. yet.

Same story as with those ridiculous glaring LED retrofit headlights, excessive stereos, etc. that some people install. They're fine if you want to use them off public roads and the property owner does not mind.

There are responsibilities that go along with driving on public roads, as well as some to try to get along with society instead of making random innocent people put up with nonsense.

Originally Posted by Dave9
HemiHawk said:
There are responsibilities that go along with driving on public roads, as well as some to try to get along with society instead of making random innocent people put up with nonsense.

Sadly as you can see there are quite a few people that think disturbing others with their noisy vehicles is funny, and they don't care.

Care to explain why?

What a difference a day makes - I posted close to midnight, and others have explained better than I could while I was asleep and at work. Take your garden hose as an example - the water dribbles out, put your thumb over the end and it increases the velocity of the water stream, that's your ''back pressure.'' This is what a Supertrapp does. You don't need back pressure, just a tuned exhaust. The noise is a different story.

Taranaki is my spiritual home, I've spent a lot of time in Opunake, just down the coast from NP - Highway 45, the surf highway.

Yes I drove up and down that highway a bit while I was there. I actually got to drive from NP to Auckland in the rental instead of taking a puddle jumper. What an amazing experience. I can't wait to go back.

To all the people that are projecting there distaste as if your opinion was the only option, associating loud pipes with immaturity/childish behavior, sorry you feel that way. Not everybody does. There are people on both sides of the shift work scenario, both have to deal with many different situations that are less than ideal. Sacrifices must be made at every avenue of life, accepting that other people have different taste and a different understandings of "rude" and "childish" fall right in there. I don't project my opinions to any of you implying that you are living your lives in a way that is unpleasant to anyone just because it would be unpleasant to me. Thanks for the laughs though! Maybe some of you have too much "back pressure." Ha!

You will have felt how the mountain dominates the area - it has now been given the status of a legal personality, it owns itself, and has the same protections as a citizen.

Yes I drove up and down that highway a bit while I was there. I actually got to drive from NP to Auckland in the rental instead of taking a puddle jumper. What an amazing experience. I can't wait to go back.

To all the people that are projecting there distaste as if your opinion was the only option, associating loud pipes with immaturity/childish behavior, sorry you feel that way. Not everybody does. There are people on both sides of the shift work scenario, both have to deal with many different situations that are less than ideal. Sacrifices must be made at every avenue of life, accepting that other people have different taste and a different understandings of "rude" and "childish" fall right in there. I don't project my opinions to any of you implying that you are living your lives in a way that is unpleasant to anyone just because it would be unpleasant to me. Thanks for the laughs though! Maybe some of you have too much "back pressure." Ha!

It's funny that you think this is still up for debate. It's basically illegal. Just like stealing, murder etc. Maybe not quite as bad as the penalty for having a loud car isn't death. But it isn't allowed for a reason. If you can't figure it out, then you have some growing up to do.

It's called integrity. Look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity

By my count there are 26 replies to this thread that were not authored by the OP, but only 12 made any attempt to address the questions asked in the original post.

Which means 14 of those replies flat out avoided answering his questions altogether, with 7 going so far as to impugn the OP's maturity and character.

Not to be outdone, 1 member even levies an indictment of moral turpitude upon the OP.
confused2.gif

Well done, gentlemen!

That's it, put the run on them new members whenever you can, that'll surely make them redemptive for their transgressions!!
smirk2.gif

Yea, way to act like a bunch of "mom police" guys... you can tell many of you are old, grumpy and need to get a life!

I'm 40, still love loud cars and this is why I live in AMERICA, we have some freedom still left. Yea, a very obnoxiously loud car can be a nuisance and local police will likely warn him of that but usually a muffler delete with all of todays, CATS, resonators and other exhaust restrictions doesn't make too much more noise and just lets the owner "hear" their engine a little better! I pulled both of the 22 lb mufflers off my Subaru Legacy GT years ago, it still has the CAT and Resonator as well as being turbocharged so it doesn't sound obnoxious at all, but I can at least hear it running now!

I'm betting all of you ragging this guy drive Prius's and live very boring lives!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I'm betting all of you ragging this guy drive Prius's and live very boring lives!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I do live a boring life, but not with a Prius.
wink.gif
I do live in a quiet rural area and I sure would not like the tranquility ruined by any yahoo neighbors cutting it up on a regular basis.

I do hate loud cars. I'm ok with some cutting it up on Fri and Sat night, gotta be young once, but the rest of the time, it's just obnoxious. Ok, if I were to go to a race track, it'd be expected, I guess I shouldn't say I hate loud cars in principle, it'd be better to say, loud cars where they don't belong. Right up there with rolling coal and smelly exhaust emissions.

But I have no idea to what level it takes to be obnoxious. Some turbo cars are perfectly fine with no muffler. I have a tough time thinking NA is ok sans muffler, but maybe if there was a least a cat it'd be only truly bad for the occupants of the car.

I live in a rural area so that I can be obnoxious. I can fire my Camaro up at 2am and nobody around to hear it, much less care.

The original question has been answered.

Too many personal criticisms of members to leave this thread open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back