No coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my CR-V went into the body shop after I hit a deer. Since then (600 miles), I have been driving unknowingly with maybe 1/4 inch of coolant in the overflow bottle. I opened the radiator cap and it was full. Am I okay to drive until tomorrow when I will take it back to the dealer?? It will be another 60 or so miles.

As long as the radiator is full and there are no leaks (meaning that you will lose no more coolant) you should be OK. The way I understand it, as long as the radiator is full, you should be ok. Because, the purpose of the overflow bottle is to hold extra coolant from the radiator. And if you checked it cold, the overflow will only get fuller. But I'd watch the temp gauge.

Not a problem driving it, if the radiator was changed it probably just had a little air in the system that worked itself out.
If they didn't change it, it might have got tweaked and has a weep at the tank or a bracket damaged on the tubes, both are common. Either way they will fix it.
If the radiator got damaged and not replaced they might need an insurance adjustment to cover it.

The overflow bottle is only for expansion and contraction of coolant. You could drive forever with that much coolant in the bottle. my truck I only keep an inch in the degass bottle.

+6 You're fine.

You could even plausibly run with the level low in the radiator; the water pump will pressurize up and out through the top of your engine. Not ideal, but you could pull it off in the cold.

With a warm engine and the radiator cap on, give a hose a squeeze and listen closely for it gurgling to and fro the overflow tank. This will reassure you that it holds pressure and works properly.

You could add distilled water if it makes you feel better. Tap water will work to but no one is gomms recommended that. I keep a gallon of distilled water in all my cars just incase

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
You could add distilled water if it makes you feel better. Tap water will work to but no one is gomms recommended that. I keep a gallon of distilled water in all my cars just incase
That distilled water is just too expensive. I use the water from my dehumidifier......
04.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
That distilled water is just too expensive. I use the water from my dehumidifier......
04.gif

my local grocery store has gallons for .50 cents expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back