2012 Jeep Wrangler

I was messing around checking coolant levels on my 2012 Sahara Unlimited. I guess I left the rad cap lose went to Walmart noticed coolant all over, opened the hood and cap was loose. I topped it off with Prestone 50/50 before googling and now I’m wondering how long I can go before a full flush after mixing with the Mopar HOAT ? Walmart is only a 8 minute drive so I’m theory could I just drain the reservoir and refill with Zerez G05 it’s going to the dealer Monday for a full flush.

All of the hoat is probably still in the reservoir? I thought my 2012 used HOAT antifreeze ?
Reservoir was about an inch below the minimum line so I used the Prestone 50/50 to get it back to the Max line.

Make sure the dealer is using the correct coolant (many use “universal” they buy in bulk). No additives, nothing but distilled water if the gallons are concentrate. Mopar orange HOAT is a five year coolant.
If those techs are on flate rate your most likely going to get spill and and fill…..which is probably better than a haphazardly done “flush”.

Do it yourself. Open the radiator petcock, remove the lower radiator hose, open the thermostat bleed, remove cap...drain. Close everything back up and throw in a couple gallons of distilled water, run to temp, cycle through your heater a few times. Stop and repeat drain cycle. Re-fill with correct Mopar coolant. Don't forget the overflow bottle. Many people believe in using the one size fits all coolant. I don't. I have seen too many incidences of brownish colored coolant and slime to be a proponent. Get it clean. Use the correct factory coolant. Do it yourself.

I stick to what the factory used in the Jeep cooling systems. Meaning if HOAT was used, use HOAT, and if OAT was used use OAT. There are a lot of horror stories where HOAT and OAT were mixed, just Google it. I'd avoid topping up with anything other than distilled water or what the mfg spec'd, for me it isn't worth the risk.

I’ve used universal coolants like Prestone or store brands for years and many many miles in multiple vehicles Dodge, Gm, Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Kia I’ve mixed without fully flushing or topped off etc. There has never been a problem.

Back