No Balancing of Tires??!!

I agree with Supton. Balancing tires is not really a maintenance task. The exception is if there is a customer complaint, such as vibrations at high speeds, etc.

In other words, balancing tires is generally not necessary unless there is a problem.

Last edited:
Do you feel the car's tire(s) are out of balance? Unless you have somehow knocked a tire out of balance, it is normally not needed to rebalance wheels when doing a tire rotation. You will know if you need a tire balanced.

I'm pretty fanatic about getting tires rotated every 6000-7000 miles, and I have never had to have a tire rebalanced at rotation.

I just retired the factory set of tires on the Ranger at 45,000 miles. Never have been on a balancer except for when the factory mounted them and they are as smooth as they were the day I drove them off the lot. Been rotated F/R 5 times.

I'm with the others. Unless there's a vibration, I've never needed to re-balance.

I am going to a Volvo Dealer tomorrow for a tire rotation. They *** said the only thing they do is rotate. They said
they do not balance tires. ***??
I never rebalance a tire unless there is a reason...If the ride continues to be smooth..I just rotate... I have gone at least a few years on cars in the past without rebalancing...because the ride was smooth and the wear on the tires was great...

Chris142 (post #4) speaks to my experience.
My boss had 5 locations, none with a real balancer.

Our location had an "on vehicle" balancer...a collection of wheel-cover sized rings with weights which could be moved.
The tire was spun with a motorized drum contraption and the mechanic would put his hands on this spinning thing to move the weights.
This was done to the point where the tire would shake the least.
Then they'd look around for weights.
Crappiest dealership by any measure.

An oddity to me is that Costco lists that in their tire rotation job (free). For the first time in July (after about 20+ rotations through the years), I see that they actually rebalanced all 4 rims (weights were reglued and shiny). I too dunno if it's necessary but always wondered why it would show on the receipt when they don't do it.

When I rotate tires, I don’t balance them. It’s rare that they need a rebalance.

If you didn’t rotate them (like you would be forced to do with a staggered set up), would you have the tires balanced every 5,000 miles?

I had a Toyota that would frequently need to have the tires rebalanced. Turns out the tires were fine, the wheel diameters were found to be slightly smaller than the 17 inches they were supposed to be, causing the tire to slip on the rims during heavy braking. So yea I had to take that thing in multiple times over the life of the tires.

I dont know of any place that will rebalance as part of a routine rotation, unless specifically asked to. And it is possible the dealer doesnt have a balancer. The dealer i worked at didnt mess with tires at all, they got sent across the street to Firestone. My Mazda dealer also just recently started doing tires.

I have found that Michelin tires that I always purchase once balanced right they stay balanced for a long time...

Back