NGK Iridium IX Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If those new plugs were double iridiums, this is kinda unusual.
But like any additive [like ceramic brake pads], amounts may vary.
Maybe there was only a touch of iridium in the alloy.
I couldn't let on of my own cars go 50k without checking/changing anyway, so no real harm to you. Nothing is hurt.

even if you go ith the IX's, 60k miles equats to 4-5 years, that seems very reasonable to me for one set of plugs.

To answer a few at once:

Don't redline often.
Replaced with OEM for comparison.
Though IX would last atleast as long as OEM but guess not.
OEM does have a plat pad.
Even if the IX is spec'd to go 60K, that gap went long before that.

The engine is the 2ZZ made my Yamaha. Same one in the Lotus (forget the model). Runs 12.1 and uses premium. It's a fun car to drive but you have to rev the garbage out of it for the real fun.

OK....My Toyota call for either NKG or DENSO spark plug.
The DENSO website lists........the Denso Iridium Long Life spark plu that has a .7mm electrode that lasts "up to 120K miles".....this is the DENSO plug my owner's manual lists.

For a couple bucks more, they list the Denso Iridium Power spark plug with a .4mm electrode that boasts performance gains.....but ".....DENSO advises replacement after 30K miles"
This is listed in the FAQ section under "how long will Iridium last?"
I did not see it mentioned any place else.
THIS might be what you are seeing with your NKG variation.....smaller electrode (but still bigger than the .4mm) less life.

NKG website lists NKG IFR6T11 "OE Laser Iridium" with Iridium Electrode and Platinum Pad ground electrode...
I don't see a listing on the electrode diameter.

The upgrade they list is the NKG BKR6EIX-11 Which is the Iridium IX plug with the .6mm electrode.

I suspect that the IX will not have a long of service life as the Laser Iridium.

i now run the Denso Iridium Power with the 0.4mm electrode on them and am very pleased with the results.

have to change them alot sooner though.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
i now run the Denso Iridium Power with the 0.4mm electrode on them and am very pleased with the results.

have to change them alot sooner though.

What kind of results did you have?

i was trying to trace down the source of my lost power above 5000rpm in my eclipse v6. couldnt get the darn thing past 140 on an empty interstate, and when it got to 5000rpm its like it hit a brick wall and couldnt even get past it, even did it in the lower gears too, so i got to thinking it just wasnt having enough time to burn the fuel well, even though i was using Iridium IX's with "half" of their life still there.

put in the Denso's and so far so good, easily passes 5000rpm without a problem now. havent tried the top speed test again though.

as reckless as it sounds, top speed is a GREAT indication of how well your engine is working, under a full load like that, even the smallest problems become easily recognizable. like not being able to pass 140 after 2 freaking miles when i've done more in much less space.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Was it a single-electrode? Usually the multi-electrode are good for 100k.

Even so, I change my once a year. Cheap insurance.

NGK makes multi-electrode plugs?? (I'm asking about multiple ground electrodes, NOT platinum pads on the single ground electrode.)

NGK does, I just put them in the Camry NGK part 3452

12026939_ngk_3452_pri_detl.jpg

I am not a fan of multiple electrodes.
they block gas flow in and out, and restrict the flame 'kernal' from propagating.
Fine wire precious metal double tipped seems about the best, nowadays.

For some reason, that plug is the OEM on 99 Camry. Some people say that is because it has waste spark ignition. I am not sure I buy that explanation.

Vikas, I think he was talking about the center electrode.
The plug you show is single electrode but 2 ground tabs.
I would CERTAINLY use that plug if the OEM calls for it.
But I would not use it if the OEM did NOT call for it.

As for the higher performance but 30K mile life plug......the rear plugs on my 1MZFE motor are a bit of work to change......so I don't want to be changing them that often.
I doubt that I would really see a performance gain from them in my Sienna......and the loss of performace once I get to 30K miles would not be worth it.
If the plugs are easy to change.....and I felt that I would see a significant gain in performance.....then I would try them.

On real platinum (or irridium) the center electrodes are extremely thin. I have some plugs which can definitely use intelligent comments from some of you. I will post the pictures later.

Camry 99 mileage somewhere between 25K to 160K :)

Spark%20Plugs%20002.JPG

They look almost new
Spark%20Plugs%20004.JPG

Odyssey 99 Mileage 152K
Spark%20Plugs%20005.JPG

As you can see, they still look quite good
Spark%20Plugs%20006.JPG

But 2000 Maxima @ 141K, the gap has increased by 50% but car had no problems
Spark%20Plugs%20011.JPG

My intelligent comment is that it is best to stick with the OEM listed spark plug unless you really know what you are doing.....which I don't.
I have read posts in forums from folks who thought they were making an upgrade with a different spark plug.....and found that the downside was something that they did not want.

In the example of the 4mm electrode vs the 7mm for the DENSO......careful reading around the DENSO website got me to the statement from DENSO that the Power Plus plug should be replaced at around 30K miles vs "up to 120K miles" for the OEM specified plug.
If I had blindly put in the slightly more expensive spark plug, I might have been wondering what was going on at around 60K miles.
While I am confident that the Power Plus plug would work in my vehicle......the work involved in replacing the rear 3 plugs has me not wanting to go with a spark plug that is rated by the manufacturer for 30K miles when the OEM specified plug is rated up to 120K miles (although I don't plan to leave them in that long).

Of course, if I were driving a race car that I ran on the track.....I would be looking for those small tweaks to get a couple seconds off my lap time.

Vikas.....you posted while I was typing.....awesome pics!
Thanks for posting them.
That last plug does look like it was due for changing.

The first plug.....shows nicely the wear on the sides of the electrode to the ground tabs.

I pulled the IXs out of my Ranger awhile back after ~50K and they were only about .004" out of spec. Truck ran just fine and I put new IX's back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back