Newer GM 6.2L Ecotec motor oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been covered many times. Engines that are spec for 0w-20 in the US are often speced one or two grades thicker in other countries. Same engines built in the same plants with the same parts. 0w-20 exists to help manufacturers meet their EPA mandated CAFE targets. Same for LV and ULV transmission fluids.

0w-20 is not a bad oil. Anything that meets dexos1 is a very good oil. For a daily driver. For something that's going to be beat on full time, whether because you're a spirited driver or because you track the car, or haul massive weights in your trailer or whatever severe service you can think of. These applications will benefit from the extra MOFT a heavier grade provides.

Engines operate on a broad range of oil viscosity. Every time I hear someone talk about tight clearances in modern engines I shake my head. The clearances haven't changed. The precision of the machining has. Everything fits better, allowing for less breakin time and better engine life.

Please get your facts straight BITOGers

This is valid data

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: modernmetal
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
LOL...20wt in a large V8 with 403hp, 417tq...not if I owned it. Of course I would be putting that engine to work not just daily driving pavement queen so...

What weight would you use? With tight tolerances in new engines, I can't see how I can go wrong with the OEM recommendation of 0w-20, although, I could request 5w-30 and GM wouldn't care either way. I assume the 0w-20 is mostly for fuel economy...?

5w30...and if it seen heavy work duty for more than 50% of the time I would go higher...5w40.

You won't even gain 0.1mpg going 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
You won't even gain 0.1mpg going 0w20.
Hydrodynamic viscous friction drag will cause about 1% to 2% loss in MPG if you go to a thicker 5w30 vs. the spec'ed 0w20. This has been proven time and time again, with so much data, experiments, and real-world field tests, the physics of this is not in doubt.

You have no reference source for your "0.1mpg" since you're talking out your ....

Maybe to understand this, you have to go to the very definition of 'viscosity': The force per unit area resisting a shearing flow.
Then, combine that with well known energy concepts, force over distance is energy, and the result is less fuel economy with thicker oils.

I would guess that most Yukon Denali owners are not concerned about 2% in fuel economy one way or the other.
Are the 6.2L Denali/Escalade engines basically the same as the ones in the Corvettes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back