newb looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Onetor
First, Welcome to BITOG!

As mentioned above try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (SRT) 0W40. It's on amazon. Now, one of my favorite boutique oil is Redline. It's a group 5 true synthetic ester oil. I would go for the 0W40. Redline performance oils are not certified.

Then there is Hyperlube (additive). It is a Polymer Ester for Extreme Pressure. It's an Anti wear additive. Check Ebay or Oreilly's Auto Parts. There are several threads about HyperLube. It's Good stuff!

Please post some pics of your Challenger!

It's not a group V synthetic it has 10% or less group V and 90% "synthetic basestock". As for HyperLube I will not recommend marketing for an lubericant.

OP use whatever 40 grade your comfortable with no reason to mess with additives.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Linctex
This is just 'anecdotal'....

But I always ran Rotella 15W-40 in my twin turbo mustang drag car, with a 351W making 750HP at the crank.

I honestly don't know if it would work in your application, but it handled mine just fine.
I'm shocked people will recommend 0W40 for a motor built like that. 15W40 or thicker without question, this is a hot rod that is no longer beholden to thin oils for an extra .1 mpg. I know 0W40 is stout, but OP will probably not be cold starting a 600+HP RWD car to get to work in the winter.

You have no idea what winter grade means. Not surprising.

Originally Posted by dave1251

But I always ran Rotella 15W-40 in my twin turbo mustang drag car, with a 351W making 750HP at the crank.

I honestly don't know if it would work in your application, but it handled mine just fine.
I'm shocked people will recommend 0W40 for a motor built like that. 15W40 or thicker without question, this is a hot rod that is no longer beholden to thin oils for an extra .1 mpg. I know 0W40 is stout, but OP will probably not be cold starting a 600+HP RWD car to get to work in the winter.

Lol, keep dreaming there tex.

Originally Posted by dave1251

No dreaming involved you have perfectly demonstrated your knowledge on the subject.

That wasn't me.... that was Dave1251

Dark oil means it's doing its job, nothing to worry about as long as you have a good filter installed. High engine heat tends to turn oil dark faster as well, are you tracking this car or otherwise doing a lot of WOT driving?

The fact that M1 is good enough for more than half of NASCAR teams is enough convincing for me. Those guys wouldn't be using an inferior oil in a 900hp Cup car that costs an ungodly amount of money to build and race if they didn't think the oil could handle it!

Originally Posted by jongies3
The fact that M1 is good enough for more than half of NASCAR teams is enough convincing for me. Those guys wouldn't be using an inferior oil in a 900hp Cup car that costs an ungodly amount of money to build and race if they didn't think the oil could handle it!

They use M1 racing oil, not the stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart. Regular M1 isn't the best oil out there, so to say...

RedLine 0w-40/5w-40/5w-50 are the only oils I would run in such an engine. Go with the "street" version. RedLine's racing oils are great, but racing oils have little to no detergents to keep the engine clean. Going over 1000 miles on racing oil would be quite a risk. But their "street" oils offer lots of protection (more than any API oil out there) while still offering great cleaning abilities for normal OCI. In their opinion normal is 12000 miles.

so. what i have gathered here like most things is opinions vary.. some based on data.. some based on past experience.
i used quaker junk one time when i was younger and my small block blew threw 6 quarts after a change and rods knocked.. there for i will NEVER again use it lol.

what i would like to figure out without a huge pi$$ing match..

what would you guys say is the top 3-4 things you look for when getting oil

and how or why have you determined that?

i have been researching since i started this thread about oils you talk about. one that looks good is redline 5w40. is it over hyped who knows. but it has moly and zzdp in in good bad or otherwise and i would say the majority would say that both properties are good to have.

SO, what 3-4 things do you look for in a oil. let me know

thanks for all your time
chris
p.s. i have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this forum?

Ahha yes, the "newbie" posting some brand is "junk" and ruined his engine.

There was another user (since banned) who posted a lot like you and also had difficulty using capital letters. You don't know him, do you? I think he had problems with the same brand if I recall correctly. What a coincidence.

Originally Posted by us1champ
so. what i have gathered here like most things is opinions vary.. some based on data.. some based on past experience.
i used quaker junk one time when i was younger and my small block blew threw 6 quarts after a change and rods knocked.. there for i will NEVER again use it lol.

i have been researching since i started this thread about oils you talk about. one that looks good is redline 5w40. is it over hyped who knows. but it has moly and zzdp in in good bad or otherwise and i would say the majority would say that both properties are good to have.

thanks for all your time
chris

Originally Posted by kschachn

There was another user (since banned) who posted a lot like you and also had difficulty using capital letters. You don't know him, do you? I think he had problems with the same brand if I recall correctly. What a coincidence.

thanks for all your time
chris

Bingo!

thanks for the info ka9mnx

let me apologize up front. i don't know the lingo you are talking about lol. what is HTHS mean?

HTHS = High Temperature High Shear. It's what keeps your rod and main bearings and piston/liner/rings happy at mid stroke. I like to see anywhere between 3.0 and 3.7 for a street engine and > 3.5 for a high performance engine. Higher HTHS gives better film strength and protection when oil gets really hot. and things get moving fast. HTHS of around 3.0 to 3.2, in a street engine, offers the best protection with good fuel economy. Newer Xw-20, and fuel economy rated oils, are running in the 2.6 to 2.9 HTHS areas for better fuel economy by creating less oil drag in the bearing areas. This comes with the caveat that there may be less "reserve" capacity if the oil is severely overheated. HTHS of 2.9 to 3.2 is considered ideal in all but the latest street engine designs per a paper I read.

Another important spec is KV@40C and KV@100C. This is a spec that determines, basically, oil drag at 40C (start up) and 100C (operating temperature). I would suspect a high performance engine builder would want to error on the higher KV@100 spec for engine protection. Recent racing engine builders are gearing towards lower KV@100 and lower HTHS by design. They are on a constant quest for a little more HP and fuel economy in long distant races.

So, you see, it's not that simple. Talk with your engine builder to see what he recommends.

what would you guys say is the top 3-4 things you look for when getting oil?

I can't help you with that because my engines and the age of my vehicles are vastly different from yours.

Originally Posted by kschachn

thanks for all your time
chris

what the [censored] are you talking about man. that was a statement.. not anything meant in direct context.. get with the program.

i am strickly trying to find out what is the best way to determine what.. if you have a smart comment please post it somewhere else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back