New Truck-Any suggestions for the long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My 2001 GMC Sierra (Purchased new, labor day 2000) was vandalized, and my insurance declared it "totaled". While I was looking to keep it for another 3+ years, I decided to take the money and buy a new truck.

So now, the bank and I are proud owners of a 2015 GMC Sierra SLE, 5.3L 6 speed, 2WD, crew cab, short bed (Texas edition, of course!).

I would like this truck to have a 10-15 year (or longer!) lifespan.

So, other than the "normal" suggestions (change fluids often, use high quality fluids, don't "hot rod" it, common sense stuff!), what recommendations do yall have?

Some questions: Should I add "Lube Guard" to the transmission fluid? What flavor? Red? Platinum? The full synthetic?

I have always used Mobil 1 Oil, so first oil change will be 0-20 Mobil 1 (weird to think that a 0-20 oil will be good in a full sized truck in Houston!)

I do not tow, My truck is 99.999 on road, commuter truck.

One question I have, is that my truck has both a Transmission cooler, and an Oil Cooler, but are these coolers bypassed during "normal" driving, and only active when in Tow-Haul mode?

I am hoping they are active at all times, and not just when in tow-haul mode. If they are by-passed in normal driving, is there a way to turn both coolers on at all times? Does anyone know if the coolers are active at all times?

Also, I was thinking of eventually getting a DiabloSport Intune. Not to turn it into a hot rod, but rather to incurease the efficiency of the truck (and hey, if I get a little extra performance, that is great), but I primarily want a well running, efficient truck.

I was actually thinking of turning OFF the Active Fuel Management on the truck. I read in the forums, that you can actually get better fuel economy under most driving conditions when the AFM is turned off, and turning it off helps with oil consumption.

I can tell that the regulars here at BITOG care about long term reliability, that is why I am posting here, and not one of the GM forums.

Now it goes without saying, that I have already added two cans of STP Honey to the engine . . .

No Flowmaster, no lift kits, no 20 inch sub-woofers, although I can see me replacing the existing speakers at some point in the future.

Looking to add a Retrax Tonneau cover, and maybe a bed liner, or, since I do not haul a lot, simply a weathertech bedrug or similar. I know the spray in liners are better, (I had Line-X in my last truck). Any good values in Tonneau covers or bed liners?

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions or answers!

You're joking about the STP right? All that does is drop your TBN and thicken the oil... You will sludge up that engine in no time doing that.

No additives are needed for the transmission, just fluid around 30-50k.

I would change the differential fluid early since they break in with lots of abrasive metal shedding, sometime within the first 10k miles..use Redline or Amsoil diff fluid

If you can disable the AFM do so for the engine not fuel economy

Your oil choice is right on. Look on the UOA section and see the report that is for the Ford V8 using M1 0-20. Quite frankly, do not use any oil additives to a quality synthetic oil. With 10K OCIs(after warranty) you will never wear out the engine. Also take proper care on the trans fluid. Congrats on the new truck!Oh! M1 diff lube will sevice your diff very well.

Last edited:
Sucks what happened to your old truck. Congrats on the new one, though. Post pics when you get a chance!

Just stay on top of fluid changes. No need for any additives (especially during the warranty period). Afterwards, only consider them if you're specifically trying to address something and have done your research.

Hopefully GM's AFM is smoother and more refined than Honda's VCM system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuddTX

One question I have, is that my truck has both a Transmission cooler, and an Oil Cooler, but are these coolers bypassed during "normal" driving, and only active when in Tow-Haul mode?

Nope. The oil cooler is a simple loop through the radiator end-tank (passenger side). The transmission cooler first travels through the radiator end tank (driver side), then exits and goes through an external cooler that is located in the upper part of the A/C condensor.

Their function is not tied in any way to Tow/Haul Mode. As a bonus, the trans has a thermal-control valve that only allows oil flow through the cooler when the fluid has reached operating temperature. It looks like the oil cooler *may* have a similar thermal-control valve, but I cannot explicitly confirm this.

As for the rest... I'd personally leave it bone stock. No tuners, no additives, just regular fluid changes with a quality Dexos oil and Dex VI trans fluid.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You're joking about the STP right? All that does is drop your TBN and thicken the oil... You will sludge up that engine in no time doing that.

Of course I was kidding, do they even make the STP in the blue cans anymore?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I would change the differential fluid early since they break in with lots of abrasive metal shedding, sometime within the first 10k miles..use Redline or Amsoil diff fluid

I did the rear diff on my "old" truck several times, kinda proud that I was able to do it, as I am not the mechanically inclined type.

Thanks for the reminder on the rear diff. With those nice 20 inch wheels, my "dad bod" will be able to fit under the truck nicely!

Originally Posted By: tig1
Your oil choice is right on. Look on the UOA section and see the report that is for the Ford V8 using M1 0-20. Quite frankly, do not use any oil additives to a quality synthetic oil. With 10K OCIs(after warranty) you will never wear out the engine. Also take proper care on the trans fluid. Congrats on the new truck!Oh! M1 diff lube will sevice your diff very well.

I never use any oil additives, I was a pure Mobil 1 10w30 Extended performance on my last truck. Played around with Royal Purple for a few changes, then went back to Mobil 1.

Now my last transmission . . . I changed out the transmission fluid the first day I got my 2001 with Mobil 1 AFT, and my tranny STILL needed to be replaced after 140K.

That is why I was asking about Lube Guard. The only additive that I have seen regularly recommended at BITOG is Lube Guard, that is why I was asking.

Wonder if there is a drain plug on my rear differential? As soon as it gets below 80, I will venture under the truck to see!

Originally Posted By: Donald
No additives. Your ATF is most likely synthetic already. How about an external or inline ATF filter?

Sorry for the dumb question, but how would that benefit the tranny? Not arguing, I really do not know, and would like to not have to replace my tranny at 140K like I had to on my last one.

I guess I would go to a transmission shop to get an external or inline ATF filter installed, but there is already a ATF filter, correct?

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 diff lube will sevice your diff very well.

That is what I used on my last truck, Mobil 1 75w90. Actually was hard to find, O'riley's keeps it "in the back room" at only their fleet store. Of course I could buy it online.

Never understood why they did not keep M1 70w90 in the retail area.

Last edited:
The Diablo tune really helps the horrible transmission tuning that GM has in these 6 speeds. You can turn off AFM and see if you like it better or not. Most say it will run much smoother with the tune.

Originally Posted By: BuddTX
Originally Posted By: Donald
No additives. Your ATF is most likely synthetic already. How about an external or inline ATF filter?

Sorry for the dumb question, but how would that benefit the tranny? Not arguing, I really do not know, and would like to not have to replace my tranny at 140K like I had to on my last one.

I guess I would go to a transmission shop to get an external or inline ATF filter installed, but there is already a ATF filter, correct?

The 6 speed is a PITA to drop the pan so I suck out the fluid from the dipstick. Keep the fluid clean and not much need to change the filter until >100k.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The Diablo tune really helps the horrible transmission tuning that GM has in these 6 speeds. You can turn off AFM and see if you like it better or not. Most say it will run much smoother with the tune.

That is what I have been reading too. I do not want to damage the long term reliability of the truck, that is why these tuning systems (used to be a chip, right) scare me, I might get better performance short term, but a few years later I have lots of problems.

However, turning off ATM, and having a smoother shifting Transmission sounds good to me, and I would think would only increase the life of the transmission, and possibly the engine.

I am going to do a lot of reading before I make any modifications.

Eventually go to a good synthetic oil in the engine and rear end and put on a trans cooler for sure. I got a tri-fold bed cover for my Silverado and LOVE it. You have a nice truck, I can't tell you how many I've seen around here with 250,000 miles on them and still going strong.

Any Dexos (don't get caught up in the brand) oil is fine as long as it's 0w-20.

FOLLOW THE OLM or 1 year. Do NOT go with 10k OCIS or anything else.

My Dad just bought a 2015 Silverado and very nice truck. 23.6 driving 75-80mph was the average MPG for the trip we just did. 2000 miles across many grades and it was perfect.

No need for ANYTHING else! Just change the oil and get on with it.

Bill

PS: No drain plug on the diff...

Tuning voids your warranty. Yes they will find out. They actually look for aftermarket tuners before servicing the vehicle.
Bad idea.

Change nothing. Follow the oil life monitor.

Done

No need for any useless additives. Change oil with Mobil 1 at the recommended weight when the oil life monitor tells you to. Change transmission & differential fluid every 50,000 miles. Spark plugs, coolant, etc. at 100,000. I don't know what else to tell you. Just stick to recommended maintenance & your truck will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back