New to me 97 Civic: Oil choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold off our 2013 CRV and snagged a 97 Civic 1.6 SOHC VTEC with 148K on the clock. Previous owner had all the maintenance done on time at the dealer so it's in spectacular mechanical shape. I know the 1.6 VTEC's are prone to consumption/burning as the miles increase so I'm lost as to what oil I should feed it. Jump to synthetic? High mileage? Stick with conventional for short intervals? I've never owned a vehicle much past 100K. Help a newbie out ;-)

Some Honda (full)VTEC engines consume more oil than normal engines, some don't use any measurable oil between OCI's. For now just monitor the oil level at every fill up, if it consumes more than 1 quart every 3-4k miles then you may either use High Mileage oil such as Vavoline Maxlife or Quaker State Defy or ... If you like to switch to synthetic then Mobil 1 High Mileage is a good choice.

PS Check the PCV valve, if it clogged then either clean or replace it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
just curious why did youu sell the crv did you have alignment problems?
I would use conventional 5w20-5w30

No. Just getting rid of a payment.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some Honda (full)VTEC engines consume more oil than normal engines, some don't use any measurable oil between OCI's. For now just monitor the oil level at every fill up, if it consumes more than 1 quart every 3-4k miles then you may either use High Mileage oil such as Vavoline Maxlife or Quaker State Defy or ... If you like to switch to synthetic then Mobil 1 High Mileage is a good choice.

PS Check the PCV valve, if it clogged then either clean or replace it.

Wilco on the PCV. I've had previously an modded Integra GSR (B18C1) and a modded RSX Type S (K20A2) and when I ran them hard they used oil expectedly. I have no experience with the D series motors or any SOHC VTEC for that matter.

Not too sure about your Pilot, but most Hondas care about oil like you care about the air you breathe.
They aren't picky, as long as they have some.
Having written that, we've had eight of them and I've mostly given them various syns.
Probably not needed, though.
If you want to run this car out to the 7500 mile OCIs Honda probably recommended for it, then a syn is probably a good choice.
If you're a 5K OCI guy, use whatever you want.
The VTEC engines we've had, although not in Civics, didn't seem to have any real oil consumption, at least not enough that adds were needed during any OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back