(new) Tire noise question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 1.5 year old Mercedes CLA on lease. Probably a 10 to 15,000 mile car.

He is away in the service in OK and got a tire balance and rotation at Walmart.
He says now a wop wop wop starts at about 40, continues and at 80 he can see the passenger seat shaking. He says this was not there before.

Anyone have an idea what went wrong.

Thanks

It's the rotation that brought the bad tire somewhere that it can be felt.

Sounds like balance or bad internals of tire. Most likely balance. Some shops keep their balance machine spec'd, some don't. Some shops know how to balance a tire, some don't. I've had balance issues in the past and brought them elsewhere and it fixed the issue. A manager at Firestone, correcting another place's ignorance for me, said a lot of times the places run the wrong sized nut things that hold the tire on the machine and that can mess things up because they're not snug, or they don't spec their machines often enough. I don't know, I've been to two different Firestone shops in states a thousand miles apart and they could balance a tire.

I've also found, when I've had Michelins, they rarely ever need a balance in the life of the tire.

My son said on the phone there was a noise before and it has not moved since the rotation. I asked where it is and no reply yet. I hate being the middle man

Thanks all. He thinks it’s in the front and is going to go back and have them check it. Rebalance if necessary and see what happens thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back