New tire blow out

Is this one of those cars that has excessive negative camber in an effort to “enhance” handling?

I see this often but normally the tire ran flat doesn't get this far. Same thing as the inner liners sidewall shedding and when you take it off the rim there's tons of tire "guts" inside, hate having to tell the customer it's not repairable. Probably some puncture in this tire and it's not a mounting/tire issue.

I thought so too, but TPMS said no? I would expect more shoulder wear too.... If tpms is right I would say something rubbed.
TPMS is not immediate in it's reporting. That loud pop you heard was likely something (probably large like a bolt) that punctured the tire and came out of the tire and hit the wheel-well or undercarriage. Then it lost pressure quickly. Then it ran flat causing that damage like others have speculated already. All those things happened quickly due to it being a low sidewall profile tire.

I’m having a hard time understanding why this even a question. To me it’s simple. The tire blew and 32.45 seconds later from freeway speeds the inner sidewall gave up from overheating. Happened to me once. Negative camber can have some negative consequences.

Should they be avoided?
This was not related to any sort of sidewall fraility.
Continental makes some of the best tires out there currently.

Also this is somewhat misleading as the "New" tire was used for 10k miles

the "used for several months".. does this car get 40000 miles a year then?

I have had same issue. Ran over a 2x4 with nails. tire goes flat.. 30s later it looks like that.

TPMS takes a mile to come on in my car.. at least on the ones I have owned its not updating every 2seconds.

When its dismounted look for holes in tire. (not the ones on sidewall ;))

Looks like all that abrasion was done externally, so probably after the flat. I’m with the camp thinking it deflated and then experienced all the sidewall grind.

…. Though @DuckRyder is not wrong - they do have that rep, and I experienced it around 2011, so yes it’s also been a few years. I’m on my second recent set and they have been fine.

not much weight needed to balance that assembly.

Should they be avoided?
I do believe the newer ones are much better, starting about 4 years ago. Continentals also seem to have an edge in cold, wet grip, by the trending of reviews across multiple of their models. I’ve had 2 sets of their all terrains and have liked them, and a brief stint with the DWS06 which was very promising, but I didn’t have long. those two offerings are to me, worthy of consideration.

Back