New STP Max life oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't put much faith in yt videos for accuracy of oil filter descriptions. As for AZ, I see they list silicone as the XL sealing gasket material. I suppose it's possible but I'm skeptical. Seeing a confirmed silicone sealing gasket would be a first for me. I'm not certain silicone an appropriate material for a sealing gasket.

Look at Fram Ultra, Amsoil and Royal Puple filters, all top tier filters and they use nitrile sealing gaskets.

I hear ya... this is the video where they talk about the STP Extended Life having silicone parts to include the ring...

Disregard this post... I had the wrong video.

Last edited:
The base gasket has the color of silicone, but if it's made by Purolator then maybe it's just the orange ptfe treated nitrile gasket like Purolator uses (mentioned by Sayjac above).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The base gasket has the color of silicone, but if it's made by Purolator then maybe it's just the orange ptfe treated nitrile gasket like Purolator uses (mentioned by Sayjac above).

Thanks for the info.. that could very well be... Again, I was looking at the Auto Zone website and according to them the above filter STP Extended Life has a silicon gasket .... However, my initial question was actually in reference to the STP MAXIMUM LIFE filter which is more expensive and is supposed to last 15,000 miles ( i would never use it that long though ) ... according to the Auto Zone site, the gasket for the Max Life is made of Rubber... which didn't make sense to me since its such a high quality and expensive filter.

Originally Posted By: johnnyz73
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Thanks for the info.. that could very well be... Again, I was looking at the Auto Zone website and according to them the above filter STP Extended Life has a silicon gasket .... However, my initial question was actually in reference to the STP MAXIMUM LIFE filter which is more expensive and is supposed to last 15,000 miles ( i would never use it that long though ) ... according to the Auto Zone site, the gasket for the Max Life is made of Rubber... which didn't make sense to me since its such a high quality and expensive filter.

AutoZone also says the STP XL I showed has a "silicone base gasket". I think they are just saying that because it's red colored. Same thing was with the Purolators ... but the rubber wasn't actually silicone.

If you go to STP's website they don't even show any STP oil filters ... strange.

As noted previously, AZ XL does indicate the XL has a silicone sealing gasket in spec sheets. And afaik, it is only filter that makes such a claim for that part. True it is orange/red in color, but as noted so was the P1 and it was just an orange nitrile treated gasket. Canning jars use an orange/red gasket and they are made of rubber.

Frankly, unlike adbvs where silicone is advantageous, not seeing the same benefit in a sealing gasket. Also seems that if silicone was of any significant benefit in a sealing gasket, then Fram Ultra, Amsoil and/or Royal Purple, top of the line extended oci filters, would use them. None of them do.

I don't consider the AZ STP XL to be their class. Here at AZ currently, it's a made in China filter with no ISO efficiency rating on the box. It used to say 99%>20um but since moving production from S Korea that has been removed. IMO, AZ should now remove it from their website too. Call me skeptical about the silicone sealing gasket claim too. So in my observation the topic STP ML using a nitrile gasket is normal and in line with other extended oci filters.

As for STP not showing filters in their site, an explanation was discussed here recently. As least as far as filters go, it seems AZ has the rights to the STP name.

The Xtended Life looks like a Purolator One and the Maximum Life looks like a Purolator Boss. County of origin? Mann+Hummel has manufacturing plants all over the world.

Hey guys. I hope y'all are having a good Saturday. This STP Max filter was clearly made here in the US. I am close to the plant in NC obviously so that is pretty easy to understand why and where it would come from.

Has to the filter made in Korea... That would very likely be the Premium Guard oil filter... Which is this...

Which is 98% @ 20 microns and is built like a tank. The base gasket is as soft and pliable and in fact more so than any other oil filter gasket I have ever handled. I actually believe it really is silicone based upon how different it is versus any other gasket material I have handled before.

Last edited:
Yep, as posted here before current AZ STP ML is a M&H Purolator made filter, but as a google search of this site (discussed) will reveal 'not' the same as the current Puro made Boss filter. ML uses media type unique to AZ STP.

As for the STP XL, as noted currently at 'local AZs' now a China coo filter with no efficiency on box and an unknown/unconfirmed off shored manufacturer. However, 'definitely' not a Purolator (made in Fayetteville NC) filter like the ML.

Ohh yeah I agree with you on that. The Maxlife oil filter is clearly not a M+H Boss filter. A) no where near as heavy, b) the base plate is thinner as well.

But I am willing to bet the "new" AZ oil filter could possibly be a premium guard. I have to go by and see one for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back