New starter won't start kohler 15 horsepower.

I bought a new starter on Amazon, $70. I installed it, it worked for maybe a month. Now it's not working. Is it possible the starter is Bad or something else? the selinoid clicks but no start..

Could be just the solenoid. Have you tried to energize the starter directly with a cable.
+1

Try applying power directly to the starter with jumper cables from the battery. If it does nothing the starter is fried (likely with an Amazon starter) but if it spins over, you have other electrical problems, like a bad solenoid.

You can use a voltmeter at the starter while you are attempting to crank the engine. Also, try gently tap on the starter with a hammer and see if you get any activity out of it to verify its failure.

Sometimes if the starter just grunts, it can be caused by misadjustment of the valve clearances. Many batteries have been replaced only to have the same issue.

Here are some grade school testing suggestions that might help with your diagnostics. They were compiled from a Briggs & Stratton book that I salvaged from an old barn. The rodents had eaten all of the good topics so this is what was left.

1708885629455.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to be working on it tomorrow. I kept the original starter from kohler. I'm going to have that rebuilt. But, I would like to see if I can figure out what's wrong with the Amazon p.o.s.
If the Amazon is fried is it worth getting rebuilt. I'm past the return period... lesson learned.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to be working on it tomorrow. I kept the original starter from kohler. I'm going to have that rebuilt. But, I would like to see if I can figure out what's wrong with the Amazon p.o.s.
If the Amazon is fried is it worth getting rebuilt. I'm past the return period... lesson learned.
Do some troubleshooting first. It may not be the starter. I have had a couple bendix gears go bad but I never had the motor go bad itself. There are some simple things that can cause a starter to cease functioning.

^^^^^^ Also, check the clearance of the valves. They may be so loose that the back pressure could prevent the starter from working. I ran into this issue several years ago on a B&S 18 hp powered riding mower.

^^^^^^ Also, check the clearance of the valves. They may be so loose that the back pressure could prevent the starter from working. I ran into this issue several years ago on a B&S 18 hp powered riding mower.
Engine was completely rebuilt about 15 engine hours ago.

I'm embarrassed to say it was a dead battery. I could have sworn I just replaced it. But it is on its 4th season. In my defense it didn't seem like a dead battery. Of course the afore mentioned test saved me from throwing parts at it. 🤣

Glad you found the issue and were able to resolve.

Just to be aware, a lot of the Kohler starters(I'm sure plenty others as well) are pretty bad, quality-wise these days.

I'm embarrassed to say it was a dead battery. I could have sworn I just replaced it. But it is on its 4th season. In my defense it didn't seem like a dead battery. Of course the afore mentioned test saved me from throwing parts at it. 🤣
4 mowing seasons is pretty good for one of the lawn batteries. Some of them it seems difficult to get through an entire season. The quality like everything else is worse than ever. I once got 8 years out of an interstate lawn battery, which is not the norm, but it was used in a piece of equipment that saw year-round use.

Back