New radiator cap every two years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on more than one forum that suggest getting a new rad cap every two years. Now, I've nothing against, and prefer preventative maintenance in my vehicles, but does that seem right?
It would fall under cheap insurance, but do these things really [censored] out that quickly?

Some folks haven't a clue. How about every 6-10 years. Every oil change sniff your radiator . If you smell coolant look below the cap for signs of leaks. They do not just blow out. They wear out slowly. I just replaced one on one of my old corollas after 2 months of slow leaks.I noticed that one day my cooling fans were on more than usual when stuck in a traffic jam. O.K. , i spent the $7. It was at least 10 years old.
Think about it. A cap is a gasket and spring . not rocket science. they have been making them since 1900. I think someone has a design lasting over 2 years.

Had the factory cap on my old Tercel for the full 15 years and 350000km it was on the road. Never overheated. Needed a new rad and 2 pumps but never an issue with the cap.

Now most wont last that long but every 2 years is a waste on most vehicles.

If you're concerned, why not buy a spare and keep it in the vehicle. If the old one fails all it takes is some time for the engine to cool off, a couple twists of the wrist and its replaced. Top off with coolant at next stop.

I have never bought a new rad cap for any vehicle I have every owned, and I usually buy them new and keep them for 15 years if you have pressure, then its doing its job.

I sell bunches of caps! I'd say that 70% of the ones that come in on customers cars fail on my pressure tester.

Toyota and Honda caps are by far the worst. They have a plastic valve that hangs down. That valve often falls off then the cooling system is a no pressure system!

Other times the rubber swells out and the cap wont relieve pressure, becomes a cork and blows the radiator up.

2 years may be a little soon but it's good insurance for sure.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I sell bunches of caps! I'd say that 70% of the ones that come in on customers cars fail on my pressure tester.

Toyota and Honda caps are by far the worst. They have a plastic valve that hangs down. That valve often falls off then the cooling system is a no pressure system!

Other times the rubber swells out and the cap wont relieve pressure, becomes a cork and blows the radiator up.

2 years may be a little soon but it's good insurance for sure.

Thanks for injecting some data in here. I never adhered to this, but have seen it perpetuated on a lot of threads lately.
So, owning two Toyotas, one 14 and one 5, I guess I'll get a couple and put 'em on.
Don't think less than five is going to happen unless I see some more evidence, but it is pretty cheap for every five or so.

Thanks guys for the input.

I still have the original cap on my father's '92 Toyota Previa.

Unless you're experiencing problems, it usually isn't necessary to replace the radiator cap. Instead, I recommend a complete cooling system overhaul (radiator, belts, belt tensioner, water pump, hoses, thermostat) every 10 years/100k to prevent roadside breakdowns.

I think the change the radiator cap every two year myth probably came from someone selling radiator caps. I changed one cap on my E-150 since 1988. I changed the one on my 93 Aerostar a few years ago to go to a lower pressure, because of a radiator leak. Radiator caps last a long time, and with a radiator pressure tester they are easy enough to check.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How can a complete cooling system overhaul be, you know, complete, without changing the cap when everything else was replaced?

If the cap is fine, there is no need to replace it. You just replace the items that are worn or have failed

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How can a complete cooling system overhaul be, you know, complete, without changing the cap when everything else was replaced?

If the cap is fine, there is no need to replace it. You just replace the items that are worn or have failed

I also replace items as needed, including the radiator cap, but I can't wrap my head around the logic of recommending a complete cooling system overhaul every 10 years or 100k, regardless if its condition, but recommending coolant cap replacement only when its worn out
33.gif
it just doesn't make sense, a broken radiator cap can leave you stranded just as well as a failed water pump or burst coolant hose, so why leave it off when doing the overhaul
21.gif

I wouldn't do it every 2 years. Perhaps when I bought a used car that is say 8 years old.

I finally had to put a new cap on my 96 Saturn last year.. It was 13 years old at the time. So yeah, 2 years is overkill.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I still have the original cap on my father's '92 Toyota Previa.

Unless you're experiencing problems, it usually isn't necessary to replace the radiator cap. Instead, I recommend a complete cooling system overhaul (radiator, belts, belt tensioner, water pump, hoses, thermostat) every 10 years/100k to prevent roadside breakdowns.
Bring that cap to me and let me test it. If it fails you buy the new one from me and if it passes I'll buy you lunch.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Unless you're experiencing problems, it usually isn't necessary to replace the radiator cap. Instead, I recommend a complete cooling system overhaul (radiator, belts, belt tensioner, water pump, hoses, thermostat) every 10 years/100K to prevent roadside breakdowns.

You may as well overhaul your rear axel while you are at it. It may fail and leave you stranded as well
21.gif

Have the OEM cap on
01 Tacoma w ~105k,
01 Civic w ~145k,
03 Altima w ~77k.

Perhaps they would all fail Chris's pressure test.
21.gif
The Civic is the likely candidate for replacement as it's on daughters car which I don't see all the time.

Every two years seems a tad anal to me but, everyone has their own comfort level.

I've sold 3 caps today and it's not even 3 yet. 02 Dodge pickup. Rubber seal is cracked and wont hold pressure......Nota, nuthin zero pressure cooling system and it was throwing up coolant when in traffic when it hit 212F.

2Honda's. Same symptoms as the truck but these caps are missing the valve.

I wouldn't replace it every two years, but in my experience a LOT of cooling system problems are attributable to radiator caps. Slow loss of coolant, sludging or corrosion due to too much air getting into closed systems, "spitting" coolant after a hot shutdown due to not being able to maintain the rated pressure, etc. The radiator cap is about the cheapest part in the cooling system, and they don't last forever. The springs get weak and the rubber seals get hard.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I wouldn't replace it every two years, but in my experience a LOT of cooling system problems are attributable to radiator caps. Slow loss of coolant, sludging or corrosion due to too much air getting into closed systems, "spitting" coolant after a hot shutdown due to not being able to maintain the rated pressure, etc. The radiator cap is about the cheapest part in the cooling system, and they don't last forever. The springs get weak and the rubber seals get hard.

Yes. I have lost maybe 8oz of coolant in the overflow in the last 6 months. It's a fresh fill too - new coolant/flush last winter.
So, maybe worth a few bucks to see if that's the cause.
2AZFE engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back