New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
There's no doubt in my mind that those NOACK percentages are wrong. GP III oils simply don't have spec's that low, lower than the most expensive PAO and Ester oils on the market; no way.

So, a SOPUS employee just informed me that this new Ultra is in fact PAO based. The Ultra EURO grades are Yubase (VHVI).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, a SOPUS employee just informed me that this new Ultra is in fact PAO based.

I guess it's time for a new Pennzoil Q&A to see if that's really true.

So I am assuming that this oil isn't out yet but soon-to-be-released. If so, I really hope, for their sake, that they market it as a long drain oil.

I very much doubt the NA 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades are PAO based but it would be easy enough to check from the MSDS. Besides the NOACK percentages are still too low even for a PAO.
I think the numbers reported are just wrong for whatever reason.
I'm sure there is no appreciable difference to the old SM spec's.

If they are correct in this info being a long drain oil is not that big a deal. A few uoas will show if they really are. Those who doubt will soon see as all of us.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Capa
So I am assuming that this oil isn't out yet but soon-to-be-released. If so, I really hope, for their sake, that they market it as a long drain oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I very much doubt the NA 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades are PAO based but it would be easy enough to check from the MSDS. Besides the NOACK percentages are still too low even for a PAO.
I think the numbers reported are just wrong for whatever reason.

He specifically said that the volatility improved because they switched to PAO. It was their Director of Global Brand Marketing. Since he's a marketing guy, I remain skeptical, just as you do.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
If they are correct in this info being a long drain oil is not that big a deal. A few uoas will show if they really are. Those who doubt will soon see as all of us.
smile.gif

Why? Are the current Ultra UOAs showing you that it is not a long drain oil?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Ultra has done really well for long-drains from what I can recall.

We are referring to their marketing mistake with Ultra, not clearly stating on the bottle that it is a long drain oil.

I don't believe the hype either with the PDS. Pennzoil's site is full of errors. Why speculate on what is more than likely wrong?

Very interesting data. It was inevitable with the birth of DI
grin.gif

It will be fun following the rest of this story!

It seems to go against common sense that they would change Ultra to a PAO-based blend after they specifically said it was a Group III in the Q&A recently with their comment that they "focus on performance, not base stocks".

So what is the difference in the SM and SN versions? I haven't noticed anything lately on this. Also isn't there talk that PU might be the new Group III+? Just curious. Thanks

Originally Posted By: hbs06
Has there been any verification that the NOACK is correct?

No, and the consensus from those that would know is that the numbers are impossibly low and therefore not correct..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back