New Moog Quick Struts- Clunking, Banging, Creaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Update: Pulled the Moog struts out, put the old OEM struts back in and all the odd noises stopped, (front end is again very loose over rough roads now of course).

So now what? Any opinion on the Monroe reflex quick struts? Some people say they're fine, others report various issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-171964L-Front-Quick-Strut-Assembly/302200690308?epid=110187434&hash=item465c909684:m:mdwgIqTWCtjYLx56dyaX2Lg

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I could probably live with the noise but the ride quality is lousy as well, you feel every bump in the road.

Total junk, can't wait to get them out.

Update: Pulled the Moog struts out, put the old OEM struts back in and all the odd noises stopped, (front end is again very loose over rough roads now of course).

So now what? Any opinion on the Monroe reflex quick struts? Some people say they're fine, others report various issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-171964L-Front-Quick-Strut-Assembly/302200690308?epid=110187434&hash=item465c909684:m:mdwgIqTWCtjYLx56dyaX2Lg

Where’s slacktide_bitog when you need him?

Since you still have the original assemblies, buy a new mount, boot, lower insulator and a quality strut....and “rebuild” the strut assembly.

This^^^. Quit messing with quick struts. If you have the ability to remove and install quickstruts, you can easily operate a spring compressor and rebuild the assembly with quality parts. OEM factory strut bearing mounts , known quality struts kyb , gabriel ultra.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
[Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel quick struts are all good
smile.gif

Plus, the KYB is only about $10 more than Monroe

I was under the impression KYB shocks are on the stiff side, aka- "Kill Your Back".

I was thinking perhaps going with the Monroe Reflex QS but with a OEM Mopar strut mount and bearing, as the old coil springs have a lot of miles on them.

I was thinking perhaps going with the Monroe Reflex QS but with a OEM Mopar strut mount and bearing, as the old coil springs have a lot of miles on them.

Monroe's lifetime warranty covers the entire quick strut, every component, including the mount. Remember, strut mounts do go bad!

I heard that KYB is slightly more firm than Monroe, but either will be miles ahead of Moog. Some people like one, some prefer the other. But you can;t go wrong with either
thumbsup2.gif

According to the Amazon reviews, Gabriel seems to be the best option for this particular vehicle.

Who made the original struts? Who was the OE supplier? I know Tokico makes a lot of OEM shocks for Chrysler, but they don't make quick struts. But if the OEM was Monroe, Gabriel, or KYB, I'd use that respective brand.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
[Monroe's lifetime warranty covers the entire quick strut, every component, including the mount. Remember, strut mounts do go bad!

According to the Amazon reviews, Gabriel seems to be the best option for this particular vehicle.

I'm thinking to go with the Monroe Econo-Matic quick struts for a few reasons: The amazon reviews are surprisingly better than the supposed premium Monroe QS's that have several complaints about noises, which is a deal killer for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-181964L-Ec...=Monroe+181964l

I have the blue Monroe shocks on the rear now, they still ride very controlled and comfortable at around 30,000 miles. I've used them on another vehicle as well after trying Monroe Sensa-trac and Gabriel.

Also, Gabriels are sold mostly through Autozone, the local store is 20 min away and some of their employees can be a PIA to deal with.

hey good to hear you found something better! I know I've been reading this thread and I have to add that the moog quickstruts I had were junk too! They were riding on the bumpstops not even a year old! banging.. clanging.. I think it was like 8-10 months! They tried to warranty them and I just asked for a refund. Which I did get! moog is really going down hill fast..

Now the moog springs I have are working fine (luckily), along with sachs shocks. So far, so good.

keep up posted how the new struts work for ya!

Originally Posted By: researcher
hey good to hear you found something better! I know I've been reading this thread and I have to add that the moog quickstruts I had were junk too!
Now the moog springs I have are working fine (luckily), along with sachs shocks. So far, so good.

Yeah, I just found about Sachs Struts, supposedly an OEM supplier to Chrysler.
Pricey however and no reviews to be found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Stru...738.m2548.l4275

Really disappointed with the Moog struts. They had the Moog name, looked beautiful out to the box; powder coated coil springs and all, but so many noises. Spring rates were too high as well I think and rode rough over broken pavement

Did you try tightening the nut on the shaft? That's a well known issue with Monroe's, most likely Moog's are made similar. Had to do that on the Focus and no issues in over 10k.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Did you try tightening the nut on the shaft? That's a well known issue with Monroe's, most likely Moog's are made similar. Had to do that on the Focus and no issues in over 10k.

Yes, checked that, they were tight.

Really disappointed with the Moog struts. They had the Moog name, looked beautiful out to the box; powder coated coil springs and all, but so many noises. Spring rates were too high as well I think and rode rough over broken pavement

yeah sachs is an oem supplier and they are a little more money, well wow I looked at your link, that's a lot more than the all-in-one strut for the civic. I bought their shocks/struts and then installed another aftermarket spring onto it. But guess you get what you pay for, they've been good so far. I got them 2 years ago.

Oh yeah the moog's look good, but if you were to sit them side-by-side to the sachs you'd instantly see the difference.

I agree that the moog's spring rates were ridiculously high, and the shock was causing the car to feel like it was loosing control. Finally the shock blew and I was riding on the bump stops! This was the moog strut assembly all-in-one like you had. When they came out, they weren't leaking fluid but the seal had definitely blown! Once they were out, there was NO pressure to the strut piston rod! none.. you could pull/push by hand and it just sat there. what a joke. I have one here as a replacement that I'd love to sell, but I feel why.. so some poor sucker would get screwed?! I'd rather throw it in the trash.

I know kyb makes a ready strut, but I had 2 sets of those, all blown shocks when I got them, brand new. Refunded those.

Maybe monroe isn't so "float" like feeling anymore and it might be good for your vehicle?

Or.. you get some good springs and some sachs struts and put them together.. might be an option..

autozone now rents a new spring compressor (refunded deposit when you return it) that's all in one, so it compresses the spring quickly and evenly. Maybe rent that and put the springs on.. just thinking of other options for you

Originally Posted By: researcher

Maybe monroe isn't so "float" like feeling anymore and it might be good for your vehicle?

autozone now rents a new spring compressor (refunded deposit when you return it) that's all in one, so it compresses the spring quickly and evenly. Maybe rent that and put the springs on.. just thinking of other options for you

I'd rather not rebuild the struts, too expensive and time consuming for an older vehicle. I wouldn't mind if Monroe gave a floaty ride but any weird noises are a deal killer.

I was thinking about pulling a set of OE junkyard struts, but a finding decent pair could be difficult. With digital odometers there is no way to check the donor vehicle mileage without the battery and ignition key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back