New Mobil year long oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
With me it'll be a seller at 22.88 on Rollback!

There you go.

Op - I don't think you particularly overpaid. AP for some reason gets a poor rap on this board. It's XOM's flagship oil and for $39 it's definitely not breaking the bank compared to an oil change at a shop. No one slams PUP for not providing quantifiable benefit vs PP. I don't understand why the existence of AP seems to offend people. Not every synthetic needs to cost $22/jug.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Doesn't change the likelihood that it is a better oil.
Better than what? The OP has not even quantified how M1 EP performs in his vehicle and wants something better. To what end? Without knowing where you are, how does one determine where you want/need to go? I am not an M1 "hater" either. I have ran M1 for an OCI longer than most here ever have and I use M1 AFE in my Explorer regularly.

BUT, it is one thing to "want" to try a new oil and "want" the perceived best oil out there, it is another thing entirely to prove it is the best or that M1 AP is "needed" over M1 EP (or any other synthetic oil for that matter). The primary reason I do not think that AP will do anything over EP (except lighten the OP's wallet) is his statement that he does not plan to run it for a year. To that I would say--what is the point?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
That is a blanket statement that is categorically untrue. [...] There are clearly a number of modern engines that are quite sensitive to the type of oil chosen, the oil change interval and the viscosity. There are Ford cam phasers that knock and wear themselves apart with uber thin oils. A problem solved by sufficient viscosity.
At what mileage? I ran 5W-20 for the first 100K and 0W-20 for the next 58K in my 5.4L with ZERO issues with cam phasers and it did not use oil either. To say that ia higher viscosity oil is needed to prevent cam phaser issues in all modular engines is also a blanket statement.

$35 before MIR for one and $34 before MIR for the other.
The M1 MIR on the oil and filter combo is $17, so $35 the pair AMIR.
I was able to combine some Meijer mPerks deals with the MIR so got a super deal for this oil.
I crowed about this in the relevant forum and also clued others in Meijerland to the potential deal for them.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
$35 before MIR for one and $34 before MIR for the other.
The M1 MIR on the oil and filter combo is $17, so $35 the pair AMIR.
I was able to combine some Meijer mPerks deals with the MIR so got a super deal for this oil.
I crowed about this in the relevant forum and also clued others in Meijerland to the potential deal for them.

Thanks for the clarification good sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Doesn't change the likelihood that it is a better oil.
Better than what? The OP has not even quantified how M1 EP performs in his vehicle and wants something better. To what end? Without knowing where you are, how does one determine where you want/need to go? I am not an M1 "hater" either. I have ran M1 for an OCI longer than most here ever have and I use M1 AFE in my Explorer regularly.

BUT, it is one thing to "want" to try a new oil and "want" the perceived best oil out there, it is another thing entirely to prove it is the best or that M1 AP is "needed" over M1 EP (or any other synthetic oil for that matter). The primary reason I do not think that AP will do anything over EP (except lighten the OP's wallet) is his statement that he does not plan to run it for a year. To that I would say--what is the point?

I agree with you. He is unlikely to see any benefit from AP over EP.

Just answering the binary question whether AP is a better oil.

AP is better than EP.

EP is better than regular M1.

Ultra is a better filter than Extra Guard.

None of these statements mean there will be a better result for a particular use case.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Is it a better oil? Probably.

Personally I think its only hype and higher profits for Exxon/Mobil. I've seen no proof in the form of testing that suggests its going to benefit your car with increased longevity.

What testing? VOAs and UOAs really tell us very little about an oil quality. Now UOAs will tell us about oil contamination, such as fuel, dirt, or coolant.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Cujet
That is a blanket statement that is categorically untrue. [...] There are clearly a number of modern engines that are quite sensitive to the type of oil chosen, the oil change interval and the viscosity. There are Ford cam phasers that knock and wear themselves apart with uber thin oils. A problem solved by sufficient viscosity.
At what mileage? I ran 5W-20 for the first 100K and 0W-20 for the next 58K in my 5.4L with ZERO issues with cam phasers and it did not use oil either. To say that ia higher viscosity oil is needed to prevent cam phaser issues in all modular engines is also a blanket statement.

True. My Ford Fusion has a cam phaser, and with 214 K the entire engine still performs like new with M1 0-20 at 10K OCIs.

WM had a $10 gift card offer with the purchase of an AP jug for quite some time, but I think that ended sometime in September. I used it an a MIR to get my cost for 5 quarts down to about $18, I considered that gift card to be as good as cash as I buy low valued necessity items at WM all the time (think I used it to buy deodorant and kitty litter).

My big reason for buying the AP was that it had a dexos1 Gen 2 license # and I have a DIT engine for which LSPI is a concern. Can't remember if I saw Valvoline Gen 2 oils on that trip or they came slightly later, but I have been using M1 products for some time and honestly don't know if Valvoline has a similar MIR rebate program. Now that I see M1 5W30 vanilla at WM with the Gen 2 logo, probably no reason for me to buy the AP for 5kmile changes anymore. Might try M1 0W30 AFE Gen 2 for my next change, would like to see NOACK info for it if possible but that doesn't seem to be out there.

Last edited:
I have AP waiting to go in my 2.7 ecoboost. I don't put many miles on it and am not concerned about an extra $20 a year. I am concerned about valve deposits long term. It will likely be an annual oil change for me. I have used m1EP and M1 in the past in another truck that I had for 15 years doing annual changes. I would lean away from m1 0w30 in a DI engine.

Good comments … it is putting some trust in “claims” … but my thoughts on that is the first to buy a new oil is another oil company hoping to dispute those claims in their lab …

Why does everyone gripe about AP being overpriced and then never once gripe about the price of Amsoil or Redline? Those are overpriced IMO, not AP.

Originally Posted By: spj
4wd for sure! Lets hope there is some meat to it.

The whole AP thing doesn't make sense. They charge you a large premium in price, yet you only get 5000 miles more out of the oil than you would with Extended Performance. EP is good for one year and 15,000 miles, so only if you are driving up to 20,000 miles in that year would you get any benefit from using AP. But then you're paying quite a bit more for that 5,000 miles than you would if you just changed out the oil when the EP came due.

No one here can do any sort of test or analysis to show the AP is "better" than the EP in any material way. Therefore you can only go by what the manufacturer tells you, which is that the oil is guaranteed for 1 year or 20,000 miles. That's all you have, and you need to compare that to the other guarantees ExxonMobil gives you for their other oils.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Why does everyone gripe about AP being overpriced and then never once gripe about the price of Amsoil or Redline? Those are overpriced IMO, not AP.
Amsoil SSO is $33.55 per gallon at PM pricing versus $31.96 per gallon for M1 AP (@39.95 for a 5QT jug of AP) for a $1.59 difference. When AP was $49.95 it cost more than Amsoil at $39.96 per gallon. SSO is also guaranteed for 1 year or 25K, so "overpriced" is debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back